The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: OT Holter-& Missouri downstream thru Craig  (Read 881 times)

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
OT Holter-& Missouri downstream thru Craig
« on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:38 PM »
Since this is off topic for ice season, a reply thru the PM system would be peachy.

Anyone here uber familiar with the stretch of the Missouri below Holter?
Looking for help setting up a summer float trip from the dam downstream
through Craig and beyond. Strict fly fishers here so if you can help, or wish to offer
"informal guide services" in exchange for a good time, food and um adult beverages. ;D
Hit me up   There is 3 of us, 1-2 travel trailers and pontoon boats.
Advice on camping areas, maybe other than the 3 FAS sites, things to stay away from or not to miss etc.
Looking for a new adventure.
Get bit!

Offline LTLRVR

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: OT Holter-& Missouri downstream thru Craig
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2014, 12:24 PM »
While I don't fly fish I have fished with lures and worms through that whole stretch from the dam all the way to Pelican point. The numbers of fish are highest from the dam down through Craig and gradually decline as you head towards Cascade. Respectively the pressure declines as you head towards Cascade also. The campground at Holter is actually pretty nice. http://www.blm.gov/mt/st/en/fo/butte_field_office/recreation/holter.html The current is rather stable so you won't be whitewater rafting. You'll have to map out the river mileage to decide how far you want to float each day. The good thing with all the fishing access sites is you can make short or long floats and have easy access to leave a rig for your return trip or if you bring family an easily identifiable pick up point.
                                                                                                        AL

Offline icefishnaddct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2014, 02:49 PM »
i would also say that campsites/miles floated each day would depend on the length of time you want to be on the river also. how many days are you trying to do this in?

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:36 PM »
likely 5-7 days minimum as we are coming from Kalispell.
We don't keep any fish either, strictly catch and release unless one doesn't make it,
which isn't very often. We float the North Fork of the Flathead many times each summer,
we are looking for a new area to try this year, different scenery :)
Get bit!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:42 PM »
I'll send you a pm..........I float this stretch quite a bit...........

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:09 PM »
sweet, thanks man!
Get bit!

Offline polarfsrmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Hi Jim I fish and have floated the MO from Holter dam all the way to Cascade in a period of a few days and the fishing is great. The one thing you want to watch for is that it can get quite mossy at times during the summer that can make fishing just about impossible. There are camp spots all over along the river.There is one right by the dam and 2 miles down stream at the bridge. There are also some private land owners that will allow camping on their property for a nominal fee. You can google search the Mo from holter dam to Great falls and it will map out all the fishing access points. Good luck.

Offline TCubed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Columbia Falls, MT
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Jim how dare you thinking of summer! The ice is just getting good ;D

Offline Anyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:29 PM »
The fishing is certainly amazing through the whole stretch although as mentioned previously it deteriorates farther down river and is also very mossy at times.  For my preference, I would rather camp in some of the more treed FAS sites down river, than under the damn at Holter. To me Holter is like camping in a parking lot but to each their own... Then again there will be a hundred other boats on the river so it is a place you go to see some great fishing for big fish, but not a place to escape from the masses.  It's claim to fame aside from lots of big fish, is that it is usually fishable during the runoff period when everything else in the state is blown out. Hope this helps.

Offline bobby1772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:26 AM »
great stretch to fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.