Author Topic: Question on bluegill hit? ESP for guys with cameras.  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sometimes the gills just come up and take it, set hook no problems... Fish on.

but I keep having these takes that is like a rapid vibrating hit. Like a quick tap, tap, tap. Very fast like.  And when they do that I always miss em...
What are they doing? Are they just grabbing the spike and trying to tear a piece off or and I dealing with dink blue gill? I have a vex but not a camera.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Question on bluegill hit? ESP for guys with cameras.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Bluegills can pick off spike quite readily ...keep your rod tip pointed at the center of your flasher ..when you see a committed fish (approaching red line) move your eye to the rod tip ...then feel for the fish ...then lift the rod ..don't snap it at the wrist ...

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:29 PM »
Thanks maybe I'm setting hook to hard?
I even have same problem when using spring bobber.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:54 PM »
I don't have a camera, but experienced the same thing yesterday. So I started using a half of waxie and problem solved. What I suspected was that they were pecking at the waxie until it came off the hook. Also a smaller jig with a half waxie should work as well.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:57 PM »
May want to consider pinching the barb down and opening the gap of the hook if possible. Barb pinching helps in initial penetration, more like a needle poke than being bludgeoned with rebar. Also keeps live bait alive longer for the live users, not impaled anymore. Opening the barb has the business end pointing out towards the lip when pulled up and grabbing onto something. When the two are combined the hook up rate goes up easily 80% for me. Still miss a few but nowhere near as many as I did, some fish get lucky don't think they're all that smart . Might also think of using a knot that doesn't lock the jig to the line. Something like a surgeons loop helps the the jig float into the mouth deeper when they suck it in maximizing the chances of hooking them when used with the pinched barb and gap widening

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2015, 03:05 PM »
Bluegills can pick off spike quite readily ...keep your rod tip pointed at the center of your flasher ..when you see a committed fish (approaching red line) move your eye to the rod tip ...then feel for the fish ...then lift the rod ..don't snap it at the wrist ...

This is what I'd try too, just lifting the rod tip 2-3 inches and if I feel positive tension, turn the reel a couple times to finish setting the hook. Snapping it may be pulling the hook out of their mouth.

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Might also think of using a knot that doesn't lock the jig to the line. Something like a surgeons loop helps the the jig float into the mouth deeper when they suck it in maximizing the chances of hooking them when used with the pinched barb and gap widening

This is pretty interesting, I saw on the fiskas wolfram jigs I bought, they recommended using a surgeon's knot for tying jigs on and I had no idea why. I'll have to try that next time.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2015, 03:17 PM »
I believe the rat tat taters or machine gun hits are small fish. I sight fish a lot and watch that a lot yesterday bulls just inhale it or grab the tail of your bait or plastic then a slight delay then inhale it. Sometimes you try to set the hook to early.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:17 PM »
I usually just hook the waxie to the jig across the hook.  When I start getting short hits, I thread it on the hook.  The gentle hook set helps too.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Jfraze10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:26 PM »
a lot of times with the bluegill I notice the inhale the jig head rather than the tail (hook) could be what your experiencing

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:06 PM »
I often get that tap tap tap bite and it isn't always small fish sometimes it seems they just are finicky. When I get that tap tap tap set and miss...ill drop back down work them up again and the second I feel it tap tap I drop the rod tip quick about 3 inches then set the hook. Seems to give me a better hook up rate I think they feel the resistance and stop....I see gills often open up there mouths and kinda suck in and gum the bait almost and if they feel that pull they seem to back up but if you give a Lil slack they clutch on on the third tap....not always but a good percentage of time.

Offline higbee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2015, 03:37 PM »
I fish with the camera when on a hot spot but switch back to hummer if need to move around. Sometimes I watch the gills mouth the end of the waxie. When you see fish coming to your line on the sonar try lifting up as others suggested. Sometimes very slow sometimes faster. Some times I will let them have a extra second to suck in the rest of the bait. Sometimes Ive fished with half a bait and sometimes they only want a full one.

The biggest thing I learned this year ice fishing is that it can and will change; this makes it fun. If your not catching fish change up, after time you will have an old standby that you will return to if fish are not biting. Good Luck.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:09 PM »
I believe the rat tat taters or machine gun hits are small fish. I sight fish a lot and watch that a lot yesterday bulls just inhale it or grab the tail of your bait or plastic then a slight delay then inhale it. Sometimes you try to set the hook to early.
What he said X2
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.