Author Topic: Tip-ups for Eelpout?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
Tip-ups for Eelpout?
« on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:38 PM »
I was wondering how you guys set up your rigs for Eelpout.  I know the basics would be to use a hook and bait and lye it on the bottom...but is there any pics/details you can give me?  Thanks! 8)
Born to FISH, Forced to WORK!

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip-ups for Eelpout?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:41 PM »
 The guys i fish with usually just put out tip ups whereever , use a big chunk of smelt or gaspereau or the likes right on the bottom.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2007, 05:27 PM »
When fishing burbot in the day i basically just set the bait right on the bottom.  there no tricks to catching burbot it's just a waiting game pretty much.
i like to chum a day or two before really well if i am going to hit them heavy.  Last year where we normally have 60-100 shacks.. there might have been a dozen and it made for great burbot fishing.  I seem to think they don't like alot of noise on the ice and shy away form that kind of stuff some.  At night i jig for them but still leave out my tip-ups just with pretty much anything, i fished a swedish pimple one night with no bait and caught a few just in about 20 minutes.  Live minnows sometimes can be deadly as well.  I've seen them take my smelt lines about 3 feet off bottom so if they life what u have they will come up off bottom to get it..
Cheers!!

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:22 AM »
I use 10 ft of either 6 or 8lb test mono leader.   I use a size 6 hook.  I use cheap hooks for cusk cause they seem to always swallow them and I throw the little ones back.   I'll take shiners or smelts, cut their bellies open and lay them on bottom with a little slack line. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.