Author Topic: Burbot Thief!  (Read 2383 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Burbot Thief!
« on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Going through some old pictures I found this one and thought I would share.

This was from last February. We had rented a forest service cabin up resurrection pass in Cooper Landing Alaska . We were fishing on Trout lake. This lake is about 10 miles back by snowmachine. New forest service rules only allow snowmachine access every other year and after there is sufficient snowfall to protect underlying vegetation.
The cabin is nice and I found out they just built a new one there.
There burbot don't get very big up there but they are plentiful and fun to catch. There are only 2 lakes on the Kenai peninsula with burbot both located up Resurrection Pass. We also caught 3 lake trout.
I had to shoot over his head with my .22 rifle before he would drop the fish. I figured since he had already gotten 1 and a half packages of herring the night before I wanted my fish back.
I have had Bald Eagles steal fish before but this was a new one for me. I  guess you shouldn't leave fish in the sled behind the snowmachine when there is a thief around. ;D
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Burbot Thief!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:31 PM »
I had a fox take a goose out of my blind once while I was out getting another bird out of the spread... interesting stuff.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:35 PM »
I didn't even see him at first.  We had a weasel do that this summer with a 23 plus inch Laker.

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2011, 11:51 AM »
real nice picture a lot of power there when you think about it if he weighed 50 pounds I would not go outside

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.