The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: How os the Pickerel Fishing?  (Read 685 times)

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
How os the Pickerel Fishing?
« on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:46 PM »
 How has the pickerel fishing been in Maine?

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How os the Pickerel Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Only been out a couple times this year. But the few times I have been out they have been biting fairly well. Fishing mainly for salmon and trout but the lakes around here pretty much have picks in them too. Definitely fun to play with in between other flags.   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:13 PM »
Generally I use just shiners of varying sizes. I've found that they really don't care whats put in front of them.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline NorthernFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:58 AM »
In my experience, this year has been slower for Pickerel in the lakes I've been fishing. That's not to say I haven't caught any, just fewer numbers.  When they bite, it's on shiners like Lunkahville said before.

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:41 PM »
ive caught a few on tipups with shinners but really been bringing um in jigging with a small swedish pimple tipped with piece of shinner much more fun then on tip up in my opinion esp when there 23+ inches

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:39 PM »
If it has gills/fins/ and wiggles in the water they will eat it, but I've always used common shiners.

Offline kourtjestr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I've actually debated bending back a tine on a fork and sharpening it to a nice point, then drilling a hole for a split ring in the handle end for jigging / open water just to prove you can catch a pickerel on just about anything.  I know a few places where it would probably even work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.