The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Bought the new 24v Lithium StrikeMaster the other day  (Read 21716 times)

Van Noord

These just arrived here in Canada and I've been looking for a lighter option to my bigger, main auger so I took a short drive to a local store that had them in stock and bought one along with an extra battery.

Used it just yesterday and boy is this thing light and fast! It's got to be the perfect sized power auger. Not too big... not too small, total Goldilocks.

I drilled 15 holes through 11" of ice and used 1 of the 3 battery bars on the indicator. It was approximately -10C and I was keeping the battery in the inside pocket my FXR jacket.
I'm going to keep using that same battery this week and see how many more holes I can get with it at the ice thickness.

This auger will be excellent for when pulling a sled of gear and running and gunning. Or for venturing away from base camp to pop random holes. Lovin' this thing...

Cats for scale (obviously)

Offline huntinfool18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bought the new 24v Lithium StrikeMaster the other day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2021, 04:20 AM »
I just picked up the 40v version, best auger I’ve ever used hands down.  Wish I would switched to electric years ago.
I’ve been thinking about getting the 24v for doing exactly what you said, it would be perfect for runnin and gunnin.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2021, 04:55 AM »
I’ve used the 40v Lithium for a couple years now. Best investment in my in fishing arsenal.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2021, 10:52 AM »
I drilled 15 holes through 11" of ice and used 1 of the 3 battery bars on the indicator. It was approximately -10C and I was keeping the battery in the inside pocket my FXR jacket.

I was checking one out a few weeks ago. They are very light and feel quality in the hands. But man, those numbers seem low to me unless you never fish any ice thicker than a foot. 20” of ice would cut the number of holes in half to ~7 and that’s on 1/4 of the battery. I understand you have an Ion for heavier work but a 2-dozen hole day doesn’t seem like much “runnin and gunnin” to me. I assumed these 24volts were in direct response to the boom in drill augers the past few years but I don’t see me giving up my drill setup anytime soon for a dedicated electric auger. However, I do see the 24v being a great option for the guys who have short seasons with thin ice that want to punch a bunch of holes quickly. Having said that, if I weren’t already invested in Milwaukee’s lineup, I’d really consider the 24v and an extra battery. It’s hard to beat the year round modularity of a drill setup though.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t fished on ice over 24” in about a decade. It usually maxes out at around ~20” around me. I’m curious to know the total number of holes you get at your current ice thickness!  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2021, 10:55 AM »
I just used mine yesterday for the first time. Wind was blowing snow across the lake pretty good. I removed the battery, and went inside my shanty. Came out a few hours later and the snow was on the auger. There are holes in the top where you can see the electric part of it. Will this ruin the auger? My gas auger I could always leave sitting outside.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2021, 11:13 AM »
I just used mine yesterday for the first time. Wind was blowing snow across the lake pretty good. I removed the battery, and went inside my shanty. Came out a few hours later and the snow was on the auger. There are holes in the top where you can see the electric part of it. Will this ruin the auger? My gas auger I could always leave sitting outside.
i doubt it will wreck it.my drill has holes around it too and ive left it the freezing rain and snow every time i was out.probably made to be out in the elements.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Very cool. I still just use a hand auger to keep my rig light, but if my shoulders ever get to where I can't (had to back off from an 8" to a 7" Lazer for that reason last year) this seems like a really good option. Lightweight, and plenty of juice for me. I rarely drill over 3 or 4 holes in a day, and our ice rarely gets over 8-10" thick around here. Seems like a slick little light-duty power auger for people who don't want to go with a drill setup, imo.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2021, 07:56 AM »
Yes we will see! I'm thinking/hoping one of the 3 battery bars will hang there longer than the others. I know my 2nd battery bar on my IonX does that...lasts much longer than the 1st and last bars.
Personally, I have no use for a cordless drill year round. I dont do any home repair or construction. I also don't like the body and arm positioning required to use a drill. I find it uncomfortable and awkwardly fatiguing on the shoulder and neck areas.
I plan on putting the 24v through some real paces this season. I'm even going to see how it does through 3-4ft of ice with an extension. Should be fun and interesting!
I am interested to see just how many holes this auger will do. They claim 50 holes on 16”. That’s 800” of ice. I’m betting it’s more like 600”. Am curious to see your results. I do t have a spare battery yet or I’d find out for myself.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:26 PM »
Does this count include the 15 holes through 11” of ice that you stated in the beginning of this post?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:34 PM »
I must of misread that when you posted it. That’s a fare ways from the expected 800” that SM claims. (50 holes through 16”)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2021, 07:43 AM »
I’ve heard people talk about those batteries, but haven’t heard of anyone actually trying them. Interested to see how those work out for you. I will say, they look identical and I’m sure they come out of the same factory in China. Green works and Strikemaster both source their batteries through a company called Global Industries.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2021, 07:46 AM »
I have a Greenworks 2.0ah that I've used for my B&D electric chainsaw. It seems to hold up just as well as the 2.0ah battery that came with it.

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:07 AM »
Per James Holst the Greenworks batteries are not compatible with the Strikemaster 24v...

"Just a heads up in an attempt to save somebody some frustration and some money. The green works batteries are not compatible with StrikeMaster augers. They’re molded differently and they’re similar but not the same internally."

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:11 AM »
Someone still has to try it and find out though. James is a respectable dude but SM does throw him money.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2021, 01:17 PM »
Someone still has to try it and find out though. James is a respectable dude but SM does throw him money.
FINALLY someone is going to try it.  There may be a plastic tab on the Greenworks battery that needs to be cut out to fit the Strikemaster.  Or it may snap right in.  Either way, please let us all know!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:24 PM »
Have you got the battery’s yet?!?! Curious to see your review.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:34 PM »
Can't wait to get some time on my 24v
Just enjoying life

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2021, 08:29 AM »
Have you got the battery’s yet?!?! Curious to see your review.

Saw one on youtube after hearing the battery life is not very good.

They popped 100 holes in 5 or 6 inches of ice. No where near the advertised amount but still very decent for a trip on the ice.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:52 AM »
I just picked up a 24v 6" recently. Tried it for the first time yesterday on 5" of ice. I drilled about 40 holes yesterday and only used up 1 bar on the battery (3 bars) total. I was really impressed. Very easy to use and I like how it's not jerky like a hand drill on the initial drill.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2021, 02:41 PM »
So I gave mine the test today. I measured 10 inches of ice. Brand new battery, fully charged. Kept inside the house until I left this morning. Then it rode in the cab of the pickup until I hit the ice, then it went in the tub of the shack for about 4 hours. Then it went in my sweater pouch under my bibs for an hour before I started punching holes with it. I took off the battery and put on my new spare battery.  I got 54.5 holes through 10 inches of ice, letting it cool down for 5 minutes every 10 holes.  So 545”. 54 holes through ten inches of ice is a long ways from what Strikemaster claims. They claim it will do 50 holes through 16” of ice. There’s no way. That’s 800”. Also, it was down to one bar after 20 holes. And I got another 34 holes...

Overall I really like the auger but I don’t see it replacing my gas auger just yet. The ice is only going to get thicker. These batteries should be much cheaper than 100 dollars. And why are they only 4 amp batteries? Why not more? I am going to email Strikemaster about their claim and see what they say.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:51 PM »
I agree this won't replace my gas auger however I live in Eastern MA and we seldom get ice over 14". I can't remember the last time we had ice over that. The 24v is perfect for my needs but if I have to drill through thicker ice it's good to know I can always chuck the Lite Flite bit onto my Solo powerhead for more torque.

I believe the 24v is aimed more for the running and gunning style of fishing.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:55 PM »
Well that’s great if you’re running and gunning on thinner ice. It won’t be worth a darn  to run and gun with it here once the ice gets thicker. If you don’t ever get thick ice, it’ll be fine. I have two batteries and I’d feel better with 3.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2021, 04:30 PM »
I'm thinking of getting the ion x 8 inch it says it can drill threw 1600 inchs of ice?? Im a hole hopper sometimes drilling 50 to 60 holes ? I have a jiffy gas auger now, but its in the shop.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:55 PM »
I am looking into this auger also. I really want 8" hole though and while reading the specs it seems the 24v gets about exactly half the holes as the 40V. But when you add a second battery to the price, its almost the same price as the 40V. I get the weight savings, but it almost seems a wash for 8" unless weight savings is your #1 priority.

Looks like an awesome 6" auger option
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:57 PM »
It also comes with a lite flite.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Overall I really like the auger but I don’t see it replacing my gas auger just yet. The ice is only going to get thicker. These batteries should be much cheaper than 100 dollars. And why are they only 4 amp batteries? Why not more? I am going to email Strikemaster about their claim and see what they say.

Buckshot, just curious did you ever email Strikemaster about their claim of 50 holes on 16" of ice? I read other reviews and other people have said that it fell short of the 50 holes on 16". I'm gonna put mine to test this weekend to see if I can get 100 holes on my 6". Since this auger unit is fairly new this season it would help if everybody can email SM about the claim. Maybe they can find a way to improve down the road.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:55 PM »
I emailed them on Sunday and haven’t heard back yet.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2021, 01:45 PM »
I heard back. They want it back. Batteries and all. I’ve also noticed I have to push down on it. My friend has a 40v and you don’t need to push at all, it sucks it right down.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2021, 01:54 PM »
Hopefully I can test mine this week.  Are they going to pay the shipping back on it
Just enjoying life

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2021, 02:04 PM »
Yes. They are sending a label.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.