New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 222904 times)

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #60 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Hey SmokinSS interesting post. Shoot me a PM dude, I hear you talking about lakers all the time. Grew up there and willing to help you out if you are interested I too live in the Round lake area and would like to BS about that place too.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I agree on the access points...many of the "good" spots are a long walk from fitch road or the south end...you can't just walk out and join the crowd and expect to kill them every time.  Saratoga isn't that big of a lake but it makes me wish I had a wheeler sometimes.  Oh well, that is why I have a boat ;D

Also although few people really fish for them because not many like to eat them I've had some fantastic (100 fish) nights bullhead fishing out on the boat on open water in the spring and summer.  Find a nice private spot and double anchor in 10-15 feet of water over a muddy bottom, throw out some cut bait on an ultralight set up and sit back and relax while you can because when they come in you will be busy..  I've caught several honest 16 inchers out of there before and I think there are bigger ones as well. I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of record is broken from out of there.  Oh yeah, and trust me, a 16 inch bullhead can be pretty fun on 2 lb line.  If you're stuck on shore the state launch can be ok as well but nothing beats finding a new spot.
I fish for bullhead at the launch but mostly go out in the boat for them too. Anywhere I go though I like to catch some small rock bass or gills and cut them into guarterbsize chunks and use them for them bait was. It works really well.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #62 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:38 AM »
I think OXYGEN is also very important on this lake being so small and weedy. Ice gets thick, weeds die, O2 goes way down and many species just don't eat as much due to metabolism slowing down. So this time of year it's expected to have slow days, and we forget about this I think.

Not really an issue during most winters (might be this year), but in the summer, its a big problem.   when I used to work at the Lake Lonely Boat Livery and fished tournies on toga, i always ran into a two person DEC crew taking water samples.   Sometimes for short periods in August and early September, Saratoga would be almost completely oxygen deficient deeper than 15 feet, lake lonely sometimes got even worse, with anything deeper than 10 feet oxygen deficient.

Really love the challenge here though, and I am determined to figure the dang walleye out. Just always so many places to fish and so little time

thats the awesome part of the lake.   all that structure!   Dozens of weedy humps.   underwater points   rocky humps in the middle of the basin.   I could go on.  It takes weeks to cover every little part.     you have obviously put some time in on Saratoga.   

Ever have any luck jigging up the walleyes out there during the winter?

Offline iceman123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:25 AM »
hey guys wondering how much ice is on toga lake now thinking about going this weekend

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #64 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:34 AM »
hey guys wondering how much ice is on toga lake now thinking about going this weekend

My buddy Nick at Saratoga Tackle just told me 14"-16".   Even a few vehicles getting on the ice.

Offline iceman123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:24 AM »
thats good ;D hows the fishing ?

Offline PeterC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Combsey- I have been bragging Toga to friends and have looked pretty bad. I was was away several years and my old spots are not what they were.  From Albany so this is the lake I want to be good on. If your could PM me I would really
appreciate it.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Red, the walleye I have caught have been on tip ups. I have done real well in some other local spots for eyes, but haven't put in the time on toga yet. I will keep you posted though. I really like to target pike and panfish mainly, not here for pike mainly LG.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #68 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Anyone headed out on the lake tomorrow? and do you think it will be unsafe to be out their with all the snow were getting? will it make the ice weak?

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Anyone headed out on the lake tomorrow? and do you think it will be unsafe to be out their with all the snow were getting? will it make the ice weak?
no way on weakening the ice with over 12"........lots of snow tomorrow, only trouble will be driving home or tipup fishing and holes covering up with snow and/or losing sight of your tipups.  ;D

With the big front coming thru tomorrow, get after'em and tight lines tomorrow, have fun in the snow.  ;D

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:12 AM »
All this snow is no fun for those of us that are walkers...especially dragging the sled!

Offline BeenFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Can anyone tell me where the best place is to get access to the lake is?

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Theres fitch road on the north end u have to park on the ice due to plowing or the esiest is the boat launch also on the north end the has a parking lot. Or the marina on the south end but u have to pay to park
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Can anyone tell me where the best place is to get access to the lake is?

You can park  on the ice on fitch road, at the state boat launch by saratoga tackle or on the other end of the lake there is a marina where you can pay to park.  There is also a small hand launch park although I cant remember the name of it.  With this snow I would just start at the state launch.  If you're coming from 87 north then turn left off the highway at exit 14 and go straight for two miles or so until you drive over the lake and the boat launch is on the left hand side. You can't miss it.  If coming from 87 south, go to exit 14 and also turn left and go straight for two miles.

Offline BeenFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Thank you we will give the boat launch a shot and go from there.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:28 AM »

lol... heck no, there's a lot of ice... now dragging your gear around is going to be tough
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:47 PM »
So what's the deal with parking at the state launch? Do you have to pay to park or is this considered off season?

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:48 PM »
So what's the deal with parking at the state launch? Do you have to pay to park or is this considered off season?

No pay this time of year. 

Offline rpdfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:48 PM »
No sleds or 4 wheelers welcome at the state launch as far as I know

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:05 PM »

Interesting question actually.   I believe it is free this time of year but the payment box thing is still there while it was taken away for the winter last year.  I even got in  a few early ice out crappie trips from the boat before they put it back last season.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:07 PM »
No sleds or 4 wheelers welcome at the state launch as far as I know

I've seen more than a few wheeler/sled trailers at the launch but it's one of those places where you may need to back down onto the ice and not drive in the lot at all if there is a cop around...silly rules imo but better safe than sorry.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #81 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Well guys this is the day I've been waiting for on toga...

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #82 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Great job glad everything finally payed off ;D :icefish: :icefish:

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:58 PM »
man those are some nice perch. Good job.

Question tho, is that a rock bass I see? People keep those things to eat??

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #84 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Great job on the perch..   Congratulations....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #85 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Yes the rock bass are good eatin' and thanks guys..

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Congrats on a nice haul!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Yes the rock bass are good eatin' and thanks guys..

really? Never heard of anyone eating them.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:36 PM »
ice angler nice job dude, seems like you really put your time in. So happy someone started this thread. I love saratoga, had some awesome days here. Also have had some days where I wanted to trade my rods in for golf clubs lol!

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #89 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:50 PM »
iceangler442, those are some awesome perch...toga can be a gem to those putting in the time...I knew that the snowy front would be helpful for those to brave it.   :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.