New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 222964 times)

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #120 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Good point combsey. For those who don't know toga, this years bite is a lot slower than usual.... For most ;). Public access is limited and the close areas to it are usually over fished. But if you don't want to waste your time, no matter where you are fishing, you should probably pay attention to the barometer.
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:22 AM »
It's about time you signed up ThisGuy...
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I find it ironic that DEC has announced a mute swan eradication program because the swans are destroying habitat (i.e. weeds).

Cutting weeds wasn't good enough on Saratoga, now they poison them!  Come on DEC, be consistent.

Offline balebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Fished the toga for the first time today through the ice. It was a little slow were I was. I did meet some great people today though. Started out in the morning with a broken recoil and thought that we would be done. Then we meat Ozzy he let us barrow his crank auger. By the time we got done he drilled our holes with his gas auger. Thank you Ozzy. U turn a bad day to a great day. No fish but still turn out to be good. There is still good people out there great to c that. You don't get that in most areas . Thank you

Offline frozenby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Feb 13, 2014, 04:23 AM »
I was out a few times since snow cover, seems the action is slower that when the ice was not covered. Is this just a slow day or would snow cover typically affect fish action?

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Was out yesterday afternoon and this morning hoping the storm would stir things up - one dink perch and a skinny bass - slow, slow, slow  - to whomever made the fire on the ice on the plowed area out off Fitch - please clean up you mess 

Offline Jazzangler442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Has anyone been out since the snow stopped this morning? I'm curious how tough it is drudging through the snow

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Feb 15, 2014, 03:43 AM »
I was out for the first few hours (Thursday until about noon) and it was a real haul back to the truck.  There was enough snow already that I needed to find snowmobile tracks to walk and pull my sled.  On the way back you could hardly see the tracks, made for an exhausting half hour.  I still need to move the skis closer together on my Smitty.  Right now they won't quite fit in a snowmobile track and end up going through instead of over the deeper snow.

I got about 15" of new snow at my house (near but not on the lake).  Going to make walking real tough.  We need some warmer weather and then a freeze to change some of that snow to ice (not that we need more ice, but I can deal with thicker ice, if I can get to my spots).

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Feb 16, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Fished the toga for the first time today through the ice. It was a little slow were I was. I did meet some great people today though. Started out in the morning with a broken recoil and thought that we would be done. Then we meat Ozzy he let us barrow his crank auger. By the time we got done he drilled our holes with his gas auger. Thank you Ozzy. U turn a bad day to a great day. No fish but still turn out to be good. There is still good people out there great to c that. You don't get that in most areas . Thank you
No problem guys its all about having fun and glad I could help. Sorry the fish weren't cooperating! Let me know when your coming up again we'll get on them  :tipup:

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #129 on: Feb 17, 2014, 11:24 AM »
Hows everyone doing off of fitch?

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Not too many guys out there now. The snow is a real sob. Sat night I got one 12 inch perch. Sun morning, only ye ole pickerel. Think I'm gonna give toga a rest for a while. Deflates my ego going home empty handed anyway. Good luck guys

Offline Jazzangler442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Feb 17, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Haha...don't feel to bad, three of us went to lake George on Sunday and we came home with nothing. Two of us didn't even get a bite. I'm hoping the warm weather will increase the fish activity.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:26 AM »
I'm heading up Saturday and I'm hoping someone can get a report either today or  tomorrow on how much snow is on the ice still. Also if any wheelers are out if it's not too deep. Thanks!

Offline Tupper Lumberjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Feb 20, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Not to many people more die hard fishing Toga then my crew but, put it this way we went to LG with zero knowledge of an area and caught more fish in one day than we did the last 6 times on Toga. We are done with that desert...

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Feb 20, 2014, 12:45 PM »
I'm heading up Saturday and I'm hoping someone can get a report either today or  tomorrow on how much snow is on the ice still. Also if any wheelers are out if it's not too deep. Thanks!

Next couple of days it's supposed to be warm with some rain which should melt some of that snow... I was going to swing by tomorrow afternoon to see what it looks like and I'll post conditions here after I do... either way it's going to be wet Saturday

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Not to many people more die hard fishing Toga then my crew but, put it this way we went to LG with zero knowledge of an area and caught more fish in one day than we did the last 6 times on Toga. We are done with that desert...

its not even fair to compare LG to saratoga! Completely different league's!

Offline frozenby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Feb 22, 2014, 04:06 AM »
Anyone see if toga has iced over hard again after this rain!  :o

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #137 on: Feb 22, 2014, 04:51 AM »
Yes Saratoga is a bad fishery so go to lake George.    There are only small perch and next to no eyes in toga   Not worth anyone's time.   Try again next year
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:43 AM »
Anyone see if toga has iced over hard again after this rain!  :o

It's real wet and slushy out there

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #139 on: Feb 22, 2014, 02:35 PM »
Funny thing is I've been to lake george twice the first time i caught 10 dink perch at the end of a long day out there and then second time we didn't catch one thing...NOTHING

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #140 on: Feb 22, 2014, 02:55 PM »

Ive been catching some nice perch in this spot I found out on the lake...Ive done a lot of moving around and searching..this is the best spot I could find and yesterday i actually caught my PB at 13 1/2"...Yesterday was a slow day but still all over 8 inch... (by the way he gave quite a fight on 2 pound test and a real light action pole ;D )

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #141 on: Feb 22, 2014, 03:12 PM »
Nice perch.     I'll be out there Monday afternoon.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Feb 22, 2014, 03:51 PM »
How much snow and slush was out there ice angler?

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #143 on: Feb 22, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Nice looking perch...Great catch! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Feb 22, 2014, 04:49 PM »
How much snow and slush was out there ice angler?
. About 6" and 3" of water under it.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #145 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Thanks guys and I would have to agree at least 6in of slush with 3 inch of water under that..The walk out at about 8:30am wasn't bad because my trail had been packed down and froze overnight but on the way back at about 1:30pm was a mess...Unfortunately it might be like this for quite a few days maybe a couple weeks.

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Feb 23, 2014, 07:20 AM »
With another cold spell coming the top layer will firm up.  Should be much easier walking by later in the week and next weekend.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Good point combsey. For those who don't know toga, this years bite is a lot slower than usual.... For most ;). Public access is limited and the close areas to it are usually over fished. But if you don't want to waste your time, no matter where you are fishing, you should probably pay attention to the barometer.

Slow?  yeah right, I've caught more dink perch than I can ever remember catching lol ;D ;D

But seriously, it is an off year...I've caught a few decent fish but haven't had any real great days yet like last year.

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #148 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Went out today just off the marina South of the 9P bridge and had no luck at all jigging or with my tip-ups using flatheads.  Every step was an adventure cutting into 8" of slush and the water filling in every step.  First time I've ever fished that area with no flags or hits on my tip-ups and I drilled over 20 holes.  Quite a bit of wind, but nice temperature.  Spoke to several guys in the parking lot and they had the same luck.

Eagle Ed

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Feb 23, 2014, 05:00 PM »
The cold this week will lock up the top of the lake and we should be able to walk on top just fine. Action where I was today was good until the sun came out about 11:00

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.