The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Hattie  (Read 12590 times)

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Hattie
« on: Dec 04, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Just thought i would start a Hattie thread for all of us here in SE Wyoming.  We put a few holes in Hattie this afternoon to determine if we could fish it in the morning.  We found 4-5 inches of good solid ice.  I think we are going to head out tomorow and see if we cant get into some perch and serarch around for some bigger fish.  Ill post results tomorow.
Zack

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Hattie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:01 PM »
We got a late start this morning and were only able to fish for an hour and a half.  We caught two eight inch perch and right before we left i caught a 20 inch rainbow.  Not a bad first day.  By the way the trout had two big egg sacs in it.  I have never used them for bait over here but i know people do well with them.  We cure them back home and use them for steelhead fishing but i dont really know how it works over here in a lake.  If anybody as any ideas let me know. Thanks,
Zack

Offline wyohookset

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where'd I put that gas can?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:29 PM »
Hey Zack...has the wind created any open water on Hattie?  Last time I was over there the lake was so low if you fell in you could just jump back out.  I'd like to make it over there early next week and see what happens.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Hookset,
  No open water yet but some of the ice in the middle towards the west end was looking a little sketchy.  All of the edges have good clear ice, as long as it dosent get to warm next week should be good.  As far a depth there is alot of 20 foot water but its out there a ways, we fished about 10 feet today.  Let me know if you are coming maybe we will see you out there.  We plan on fishing alot the next couple weeks.
Zack

Offline wyohookset

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where'd I put that gas can?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:03 PM »
I'll try to get over there tue. or wed, lets hope the weather holds out.  I'll be in a dark blue and silver chevy p/u.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:42 PM »
I fished Hattie this morning again for my first skunk of he year.  Fished all over the south side of the lake all the way from the dam end to the houses.  5 hours of fishing and one bite.  Hooked a nice trout but lost him right under the hole.  I looked for some perch but couldnt find them.  Maybe another day.
Zack

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2006, 06:41 PM »
I fished Hattie this morning again for my first skunk of he year.  Fished all over the south side of the lake all the way from the dam end to the houses.  5 hours of fishing and one bite.  Hooked a nice trout but lost him right under the hole.  I looked for some perch but couldnt find them.  Maybe another day.
Zack

Dont feel bad hattie is a hard lake to fish i have got skunked there so many times that i stopped counting. I was wondering if the kokes have started there run yet?? I do alot better when they start up.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2006, 07:43 PM »
I fished one of the other Plain's Lake today with no luck. I didn't even see a fish under the ice. That is a first. Drove over to Meeboer and the ice looks to be decaying. Then I drove over to Hattie. There was a sum total of one outfit on the lake. I wanted to fish it but the ice is still a little scary.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2006, 10:12 PM »
I fished one of the other Plain's Lake today with no luck. I didn't even see a fish under the ice. That is a first. Drove over to Meeboer and the ice looks to be decaying. Then I drove over to Hattie. There was a sum total of one outfit on the lake. I wanted to fish it but the ice is still a little scary.

Yeah, the ice at Meeboer is definitely decaying.  It still has 3.5 inches over most of the lake, but its not the clear hard ice from last week.  Open water patches are also forming.  Fishing was slow, I had 3 bites in 3 hours and caught two of them.  A friend landed his only bite during that same time and another friend had no action.  The fish below caught me fishing two holes too far apart.  I had to run to the hole (10 feet away) to save my rod from disappearing down it.  Made it barely, but had 4 inches of wet sleeve to show for it.  Small bow, but put up a fight.  We need some colder temps pronto.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Has anyone been out to hattie in the last couple of days ???? With all this wind i was just wondering if the ice is still safe?? I need to get up there and try and find the perch.

thx for the info

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2006, 03:58 PM »
do you guys in laramie ever go up into the snowy range to all those brookie/bow-filled lakes up there?  seems like they would have solid ice...

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:21 AM »
do you guys in laramie ever go up into the snowy range to all those brookie/bow-filled lakes up there?  seems like they would have solid ice...

I bet they do, its really just an access issue.  The road up to them is closed more months out of the year than its open so unless you have a snowmobile, you have one hell of a ski up to them hauling your gear while being buzzed/nearly run over by machines.  However, if anyone with a ski-doo wants to take me up there, I'd love to hit them.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I went out and looked at hattie most of it was frozen except for the spot that i like to fish figures lol. After this week it should be good though and iam looking forward to fishing it for the first time on the ice this season. I cant beleive how low it is.  Do u guys think that this will make for better fishing since the fish will be easier to find ???

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2006, 11:42 AM »
The fish will be concentrated and fighting over a limited food supply.   I LOVE fishing these type of lakes.  Oh yeah-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Hey Slayer!  Johnny O and I are both off on Thursday--are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2006, 07:38 PM »
The fish will be concentrated and fighting over a limited food supply.   I LOVE fishing these type of lakes.  Oh yeah-

Slayer have you been to hattie lately?? how did you do ?? I think that there are going to be some monster fish caught for the derby this year. 5lb bows and around 10lbs lakers is my guess i know thats small for lakers but the biggest that has been pulled out of there was 15lbs and if i remember right that was caught last year  at the derby. I beleieve there is some bigger in there cause a few years ago i saw one that came by in three sections but i couldnt get in to bite it came right up to my spoon looked at it and swam off so i started jigging again and it did the same thing what do u suggest that i do if i have this problem with another laker. i know u can them all the time.   Thanks for you suggestions.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2006, 08:38 AM »
first of all, if you saw a big fish that was interested, try to go back to that same spot, as they tend to swim and feed according to some pattern, like a deer returing to the same cubbyhole to spend the rut, year after year.  i've tried spoons somewhat extensively while fishing for lakers and have had only limited success with them.  try white tube jigs -- this classic laker presentation, tipped with a waving strip of sucker meat, is one of my go-to lures for lakers.  also try a bucktail doll-fly, baited with sucker meat.  experiment with colors ranging from white to neon green to dark earth-tones.  lastly, consider purchasing a fishfinder, and use this in coordination with your underwater camera to gauge the fishs' reactions to different presentations.  if they touch it but don't inhale it, let the bait freefall to the bottom as if it were wounded, and then twitch it down there -- i've had lakers follow it down and snatch it right off the bottom before.  good luck

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2006, 09:08 AM »
Hey Gloomis- I concur with everything BD said.  Also I have had decent luck with a white marabou jig, maybe with a red head.  Put a SMALL piece of sucker meat on the hook.  Like 1/4" wide by 1.5" long.  Also one of my killer "secret" baits for large macs is nice fresh egg sacs!  If you can get a sac in front of his nose he cant resist! I havent fished Hattie for 3 years or so.  I just might this year with the low water. Good luck
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Thanks for the info ill let you know if i get any and ill also try and post and pic. Last year it was weird i caught 2 6lb lakers on a chartruse crappie jig with powerbait, i was fishing for the bows the lakers came up right to it and nailed it.  Personally i dont think there are that many lakers in Hattie but i could be wrong.

Offline Dilli

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya Baby!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2006, 06:11 PM »
I'm off the next 4 days but I don't think anybody can get anywhere in the blizzard of 06 it's bad here in Cheytown!

Offline tomb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2006, 06:27 PM »
real bad they closed the bar :P
Matt

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2006, 08:05 PM »
Lol u know the roads are bad when they close the bar ill be out in the next few days as long as the wind dies down.

Offline Dilli

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya Baby!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2006, 11:50 AM »
with the roads closed I can only fish on the computer! I tried fishing the narrows last year for lakers, it was 6 ft at the deepest.  does anyone know the lwest end very well? what are the depths?  I have a love hate deal going on w/ Hattie.  I have been skunked so many times, but those big fish keep pulling me back.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2006, 06:08 PM »
Im curious to know why the lakers dont seem to do well in hattie.  Most of the iced Lakers (Derby fish from two years ago) i have seen have looked like snakes but the one i cought this summer was a fat healthy six pounder.  I cant imagine that a preditory fish like the lake trout would be at a lack for food concidering the perch population, which way out of hand at hattie.  All the rainbows are healthy, any browns ive seen is healthy so why the skinney lakers? 
Zack

Offline Dilli

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya Baby!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2006, 03:52 PM »
fished Hattie yesterday till 3:30. where has all the water gone????  I saw some guys on the east end and I thought they were in the middle of the lake but turns out they were only a little ways out on the ice!!  weeds sticking up out of the snow for 100's of yards.  I fished the west end. 6-7 " of ice snd some slush on top.  Couldn't get a fish to look at a jig and a meal worm, but caught a dozen on a big white jig tipped w/ sucker meat.  Problem was they were  all Perch! biggest was 12". kept the eating  size, made my wife try some and darned if she didn't have to agree,  it's not bad!
(she hates trout) 

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Hey fellas, I see on here some talk of macs in Hattie. How deep is it?  I used to ice fish it alot when in college. I don't remember macs in there. Just tons of perch, bobos, and a few browns. Nice fish though. Have macs been in there a long time , or have they been planted within the last few years? 

the Cator
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:43 PM »
Did not have perch filets tonight, but sure did have elk steaks!!!!!!!!!

Ben

Offline Dilli

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya Baby!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2006, 11:37 AM »
they have been in awhile, I used to catch small lakers in the early 80's when in college, at the derby the winning fish is uaually a laker in the 12 pound range.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2006, 12:05 PM »
Speaking of derby i bought my ticket before i left town last week, I was #2.  Somebody beat me to the first ticket.  :(  Anyway i hope the derby goes a little better than last year.  A am still excited to get back and do some ice fishing.  Not that i am complaining about being home for a couple weeks as i will be going to the coast and to try to fool some steelhead.  Was anybody on this forus the one who got the first Hattie Derby ticket?
Zack

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:13 PM »
I fished Hattie yesterday and caught 12 perch in 3 hours, thats the best perch fishing i have ever had there looks like they are back.  Where are all the other fish at in that lake?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.