The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Hattie  (Read 12589 times)

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Hattie
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:28 PM »
I also fished hattie yesterday. I saw six or seven trout under the ice. That is a good day by hattie standards. A friend caught one that went close to three pounds. The fish was probably 18-19 inches, but it was extremely deep. Most of the trout were in the 12-14 inch category. We also caught eight perch. Last year at this time we were catching close to a hundred perch a day.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Where in Hattie can you catch Perch?
What size are the keepers?
I have not fished it in at least 12 years....  :tipup:

Ben

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2006, 10:15 PM »
I also fished hattie yesterday. I saw six or seven trout under the ice. That is a good day by hattie standards. A friend caught one that went close to three pounds. The fish was probably 18-19 inches, but it was extremely deep. Most of the trout were in the 12-14 inch category. We also caught eight perch. Last year at this time we were catching close to a hundred perch a day.

Wow That is a really good day at hattie most of the time your lucky if you see 1 trout under the ice. How deep where you fishing and where at? When i went i went to the first point and fished out where the Koks always spawn when the water was up. I wanted to get to the narrows but the usually road that i take there was drifts and i didnt feel like going 4 wheeling even though i have a four wheel drive truck. I might head out Sat if the job doesnt take to long.

Offline dbicthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2006, 10:30 PM »
I fished Hattie yesterday and caught 12 perch in 3 hours, thats the best perch fishing i have ever had there looks like they are back.  Where are all the other fish at in that lake?

I fished Hattie twice in the week preceding Christmas with GREAT success fishing for perch.  The first time was the Wednesday morning when the first storm rolled in (12/20).  A friend and I were out from 6:30 AM to 10:30 AM landing a couple of rainbow (hatchery size), one Koke (changing to spawning colors) and 30-40 perch.  The largest perch was 11.5" with most about 9".   We were in 25' of water. The next time we went out was Saturday (12/23).  Our first stop was at Alsop.  We arrived again about 6:30 AM and fished Alsop until about 9:30 AM hooking 11 rainbow trout, but loosing 4 at the hole.  We decided to stop home and pick up the kids and head to Hattie for perch.  It was a Little slower, and we were more selective about the fish we kept this outting.  We kept 20 and released at least that many.  One of the perch we kept was over 13" ;D!!!  We were out from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM and fished in 21' of water.  My friends 6 year old son hooked and caught a 3.5 lb rainbow trout.  The pictures at the West Laramie Fly shop.  I love to take the kids fishing and have them do most of the catching :D!
Dave Banks

Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
~Mark Twain~

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2006, 07:18 PM »
I fished Hattie yesterday and caught 12 perch in 3 hours, thats the best perch fishing i have ever had there looks like they are back.  Where are all the other fish at in that lake?

I fished Hattie twice in the week preceding Christmas with GREAT success fishing for perch.  The first time was the Wednesday morning when the first storm rolled in (12/20).  A friend and I were out from 6:30 AM to 10:30 AM landing a couple of rainbow (hatchery size), one Koke (changing to spawning colors) and 30-40 perch.  The largest perch was 11.5" with most about 9".   We were in 25' of water. The next time we went out was Saturday (12/23).  Our first stop was at Alsop.  We arrived again about 6:30 AM and fished Alsop until about 9:30 AM hooking 11 rainbow trout, but loosing 4 at the hole.  We decided to stop home and pick up the kids and head to Hattie for perch.  It was a Little slower, and we were more selective about the fish we kept this outting.  We kept 20 and released at least that many.  One of the perch we kept was over 13" ;D!!!  We were out from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM and fished in 21' of water.  My friends 6 year old son hooked and caught a 3.5 lb rainbow trout.  The pictures at the West Laramie Fly shop.  I love to take the kids fishing and have them do most of the catching :D!

Where did you fish hattie at?? I went again this sat and was there from 12 -4 and all i ended up with was a decent size perch i fished the same spot as i did last sat this time it just didnt produce very much action.Thanks for the info.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2007, 07:24 PM »
How many of you guys are fishing in the derby???
I wont be able to make it cause i have to work both days but i plan on going out there just to see what is being turned in i wont be surprised if a perch wins a couple of hours i havent herd of much of anything else being caught. Goodluck to all and dont let the greenies win any of are money lol.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Quote from: gloomis link=topic=39640.msg441805#msg441805 date=1167873896

Goodluck to all and dont let the greenies win any of are money lol.
[/quote

You're lucky I'm gonna be fishin' Boysen this weekend! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2007, 03:06 PM »
Well, I fished Lake Hattie yesterday January 3 rd 2007 from 6:45 am to 5:00 pm.
Only got one bite all day at 3:00 pm, it was on the pole that I was not holding. Long story cut short i mist the ??? ?? ? ????. Over 10 hours of fishing and only one bite, I will probably not go back there this year. Also the fish finder only picked up one fish on it all day, that was at 10:20 am. There was not a single sole but me on the whole lake. With 50+ years of ice fishing Lake Hattie is the worst lake I ever fished in the whole USA. I have not yet ((ever) in 25 years going to Hattie) caught a fish while on the ice at Hattie. :'( :'(

Over 3/4 of the lake is covered in 6 - 8 inches of slush. The western 1/4 is mostly sluch free. About 6 inches of hard ice.

Tomorrow will be going to a real perch catching hole. :tipup:

Go Team Wyoming

benwyo

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2007, 05:48 PM »
[quote author=gloomis link=topic=39640.msg441805#msg441805 date=1167873896

Goodluck to all and dont let the greenies win any of are money lol.

You're lucky I'm gonna be fishin' Boysen this weekend! ;D

Slayer i thought that you would like that lol. i dont think people are going to get much out of hattie except for the perch but i could be wrong ill stop by there sat some time to see what is winning the hours i bet it will be the perch.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:06 PM »
Me and my buds are fishing in the derby this week.  Look for us in a brown shanty and also will have a Motorhome out there.  Come by if you want some tips and just maybe if your lucky I'll let you know how to pimp the fish.  We plan on winning the derby by a landslide.  Probably catch 20 lakers all over 10lbs., probably catch all the fish in the lake so everyone else might as well stay home this year.  Its on like Donkey Kong girls.   See ya at the lake, and don't forget your snoopy poles.

baiter
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2007, 12:58 PM »
Damn it's gonna be windy at Hatie!   (Yeah I spelled that right! ;D).   I'm sure it won't even be breezy at Boysen. :D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2007, 05:15 PM »
I think I am going to try Hattie for perch again.
I just got this from the WGFD online newletter.
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/iceconditions.pdf
Some nice looking filets there.
Good luck to all at the tourny tomorrow, forcast says wind gust to 60 m/h. 75 m/h on the summit between Laraime and Cheyenne.

Catch the big ones, go Wyo... :tipup:

benwyo

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:03 PM »
Me and my buds are fishing in the derby this week.  Look for us in a brown shanty and also will have a Motorhome out there.  Come by if you want some tips and just maybe if your lucky I'll let you know how to pimp the fish.  We plan on winning the derby by a landslide.  Probably catch 20 lakers all over 10lbs., probably catch all the fish in the lake so everyone else might as well stay home this year.  Its on like Donkey Kong girls.   See ya at the lake, and don't forget your snoopy poles.

baiter.

Where are you going to be fishing ill most likely stop by nad see all of those huge macs that you guys are going to get.
Goodluck getting one over ten but if you do you have a good chance of winning the derby

Offline fishpimp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:37 PM »
baiter have fun blowin across hattie me and dano will be hardwater trolling for lunks where there are actually fish.  Don't let grant catch all the lake sturgon. call me when you want to know where we are fishing at. peace peace

pimp on fish on

fishpimp

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2007, 10:10 AM »
Wow iam glad i didnt enter in the derby the hwy from cheyenne to laramie is closed and so is happyjack, its so windy i wish i could of went up there just to laugh at all the huts that are going to be blowing across the lake.

Offline fishpimp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2007, 01:04 PM »
well the wind is blowing 60 mph currently, hope you brought a chain for an anchor.  Some one should probabley notify the national guard because there is likely a hundreds people blowing across Wyoming right now.  I hear there is a tackle hunt next weekend at Hattie does anyone know if this is true?

Fish Pimp

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2007, 01:53 PM »
Probably allready seen this before, but just thinking of those guys over at Lake Hattie today.

Big Ice Thanks for the info on the web site.

Click on to see the Wyoming Wind Sock.
http://faculty.gg.uwyo.edu/joelh/hattie/Wind%20and%20Water.htm

benwyo

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2007, 05:36 PM »
Baiter

how was your trip to hattie?? did you get any lakers???? what was winning prizes for the hours thanks for the info?? do know where the lakers where caught if there was some ???

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2007, 12:15 AM »
So what was the outcome on the derby on Lake Hattie this past weekend?

I have not heard anything from anyone on the board.
Please someone fill us in. :'( :'(
 :tipup:

Ben
benwyo

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:28 AM »
Well the derby was probably the windiest day I have ever had on the ice.  Surprisinly though, we managed to catch around 50 perch on saturday, with one almost winning an hour.  One of the guys in my party landed a 4.9 pound brown which won and hour and almost took the whole derby.  Some other guy caught a 5.7 pound laker.  Probably saw at least 5 huts blowing across the lake.  We only fished until noon, and took us almost an hour to take down the hut and walk a hundred yards to the truck, felt like we had climbed mount everest, but we got a hundred bucks and some nice tasty perch.  Just maybe one of these years the wind won't blow the week of the derby.  Fished on Friday to do a little scouting and had to put up with a 3mph breeze, then next day 60mph winds thats hattie for ya.

tight lines
Baiter
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2007, 02:03 PM »
I hate to be "that guy" but wherepeople catching the perch at Hattie.  I caught tons this summer and last winter but i have been out 5 times in the last few weeks and put close to 100 holes in the ice and havent caught a perch.  I have fished shallow all the way out to 25 feet and ive only had two bites and they were trout.  Like i said i hate to be "that guy" but im getting desperate and extremely frusterated.
Thanks
ZAck

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Fish Hattie yesterday Tuesday Jan. 09 2007. I was first pulling in and I thought there was people already out fishing 7:00 am. It almost looked like a war zone.. about 12 - 15 Shanties on the North and East side of this lake. The only thing no one was around. As I drove closer you could see shanties torn about here and there. Some all that where left was the frame of the floors. Some of the one bought from stores, you could see parts of the aluminum frames here and there. Then parts of the black and blue material that covered the huts where scattered mostly blown to the east and northern shore. I walked around a little, to look at some of the aftermath and could not imagine in my mind what it would of been like being at that derby this past weekend. Anyhow, enough of the site seeing.

Got my first hole in at 7:25 am and lost a perch as it hit bottom. I just got surprised, I must of just yanked it out of it's mouth. I looked into the hole and there that perch was, but he never hit again. Well, I fished till 4:30 pm. In the whole day I did catch my first fish out of Hattie. A 14" Bow, for 14" he was really fat and thick, but no eggs inside it.

Overall score
Saw 2 perch lost 2 perch.
Saw 2 Bows Caught 1 lost the other to the hole.
Wind not bad 10 - 20 mph.
Temp 39 degrees on the ice (That was not in the direct sunlight.)
A GOOD DAY FISHING   

Ben
benwyo

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:42 AM »
BigZee,

We catch most the perch towards the southeast end of the lake.  If you drive down over where the houses are there are a few old boat docks that are a ways from the lake, I mean they are really old looking docks you can't hardly miss them.  There is a little make shift boat ramp(or thats what i think it is) it is a little gravel pad that extends out aways from the bank.  We usually park there and walk out about 75 to 100 yards from shore.  I like fishing in about 20 FOW,  we  usually like to look down the hole to see if there are any weeds or some sort of structure.  The best is when you can find a spot where you can see a sandy or rocky bottom right next to the weeds, fish right above the weeds.  If you get into the perch they will  pretty much bite anything.  Crappie jigs tipped with bait, glow jigs,  jigging rapala, storm vertical jigging minnows.  Hope this helps.

Baiter

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:40 AM »
BigZee,

We catch most the perch towards the southeast end of the lake.  If you drive down over where the houses are there are a few old boat docks that are a ways from the lake, I mean they are really old looking docks you can't hardly miss them.  There is a little make shift boat ramp(or thats what i think it is) it is a little gravel pad that extends out aways from the bank.  We usually park there and walk out about 75 to 100 yards from shore.  I like fishing in about 20 FOW,  we  usually like to look down the hole to see if there are any weeds or some sort of structure.  The best is when you can find a spot where you can see a sandy or rocky bottom right next to the weeds, fish right above the weeds.  If you get into the perch they will  pretty much bite anything.  Crappie jigs tipped with bait, glow jigs,  jigging rapala, storm vertical jigging minnows.  Hope this helps.

Baiter

Baiter

I am not exactly sure, but the place your talking about seams to me to be more on the SouthWest on Hattie. The make shift gravel ramp your talking about is it the one thats at the end of the houses, and the lake makes a bend toward the north heading toward the narrows?

Thanks
Good Fishing
benwyo

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:22 PM »
Baiter,
  Thanks for the info.  I fished that spot early ice and didnt get a bite but i havent been there in a month so ill have to give it a try again.  I agree with you that they will hit just about anything if you find them.  I caught fish on a plain hook this summer dropshotting after they pulled my jig off.
Thanks again,
Zack

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2007, 01:11 PM »
Hey BigZee, I did mean the southwest side, little brain fart on my part.  Hope you catch some tasty perch.

Baiter

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 18, 2007, 12:15 PM »
I quit Hattie!  Here has been my ice fishing season-
  7 Trips + nearly 100 holes + all depths of water + two bites + one trout + 0 perch!=

NEVER GOING BACK TO HATTIE (during ice season that is)

Offline wyohookset

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where'd I put that gas can?
« Reply #57 on: Jan 18, 2007, 05:39 PM »
I quit Hattie!  Here has been my ice fishing season-
  7 Trips + nearly 100 holes + all depths of water + two bites + one trout + 0 perch!=

NEVER GOING BACK TO HATTIE (during ice season that is)

BigZ...I feel the same way as you about Hattie.  I was out yesterday afternoon (wed.) and got skunked again.  I won't be wasting my time there anymore!

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:20 PM »
Just got back from an ok day at Hattie and by that i mean we didnt get skunked. I caught a good perch 5 minutes into the trip and then the rest of the day it was slow we ended the day with 6 perch and 1 bow.

Ive heard of people doing well for the perch right now but i guess i have no clue where they are at, we fished the narrows.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:59 AM »
I think that there is a small tournament going on at Hattie this Saturday.  There is a fishing club at the university that does these every once in a while.  Last year they did one at North Crow.  It was 5 dollars to get in and the top prize was a 50 dollar gift certificate for somewhere i cant remember.  This just gives me an excuse to give hattie one last chance.
Zack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.