Author Topic: rod / reel combos  (Read 1267 times)

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
rod / reel combos
« on: Dec 08, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Any one use this product. I'm thinking of adding one more pole and reel to the arsenal and wondered if this unit has merit. It will be used for jigging up Crappies, Stripers, Gillies and such.

Pro Line IcePro SuperFly Ice Fishing Rod and Reel Combo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00AC8I5LG/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&color_name=x&img=MAIN&s=sporting-goods

Thanks,

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
Re: rod / reel combos
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2012, 02:49 PM »
I got two this year can't wait to try them

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2012, 06:36 AM »
I got two this year can't wait to try them

Polski,

Does the rod need a spring bobber or does it seem to have enough tip sensitivity on its own?

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:45 AM »
The combo you are talking about seems to be the new thing.  The wave of the future.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Polski,

Does the rod need a spring bobber or does it seem to have enough tip sensitivity on its own?

I built my rods I'm going with the spring bobber on one to try I got 4lb test on them I may change one to 2lb

Offline Second City Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2012, 02:22 PM »
I bought one last year. To be honest I found myself reaching for the ol spinning reel combo almost every time out for panfish. I just didnt care for it. But they would be excellent for shallow water jigging and I would like to try using it more.

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2012, 03:59 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll probably stick to my spinning reels too....most of the water I fish is from 12' to 25', if we do get into shallow water our combos still work.

Offline spcsports

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2012, 03:51 PM »
I would like to see one of the new Dave Genz fly reel combos. I dont know what the reel ratio is though so it may only be good for shallow water.
Shawn

Offline chopstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:40 PM »
 I built one straight line similar five or so years ago, now every manufacturer has them. Didn't get off the short bus soon enought
 I found out with messing around 28"+ rod will work better than a shorter one , the line seems to move freely through the guides.
 I had a broken B N M sharpshooter , cleaned the handle up, epoxy the rod into the handle , the shorted guide distances works great.
 Used an older model western style fly reel, has alonger seat base. Love using it on deeper water.
If you count holes, YOU MUST BE A ROOKIE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.