Author Topic: HOLLY CRAP!  (Read 1256 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
HOLLY CRAP!
« on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:26 PM »
 Dad and I went out again today. The morning was going like yesterday pulling out nice thick gills catfish and a 17" bass. Then I set the hook on a fish and CRACK!!!!! We looked at each other and my dad who is 70 said its time for him to get off the ice. Well we got out of the hut to find a crack that ran the length of the lake that couldn't of been position any better,that went right under both our seats. Need less to say dad is done for the year. There is still 4-5" of ice left on the lake. Is this cracking do to the warmer weather? Does the cracking mean the ice is on its way out? Thanks for the input!
  Matt

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: HOLLY CRAP!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Was I there? 
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:34 PM »
This lake have a spring or anything feeding it? I'd say melting snow caused the water level to rise and the pressure cracked it. Good way to lose your ice from the bottom also.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:22 PM »
 Not that I know of LOL

Was I there?

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:28 PM »
I was north of exit 19. LOL.  That happened where I was and late today was a discussion about catfish after a guy saw a big one on cam.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:29 PM »
  The crazy thing is there was 5" yesterday and still 5" today so it doesn't appear that the ice is melting well out were I am at any way. I do think the water is rising so that is why the ice is cracking. Makes scene. I guess I never have been out when it has done that before. It doesn't sound very safe. :o

This lake have a spring or anything feeding it? I'd say melting snow caused the water level to rise and the pressure cracked it. Good way to lose your ice from the bottom also.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:33 PM »
 The catfish we caught was about 3lbs. Not big but still fun on the ice pole ;D We would have staied longer but my dad was pretty nervous about the ice crack. Are you heading out again in the morning? If so good luck I see here it is going to be 50 on tuesday. That might be the end of it :(
 Matt

I was north of exit 19. LOL.  That happened where I was and late today was a discussion about catfish after a guy saw a big one on cam.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Maybe gonna be really sore and spastic but you got to when you can. Couple aspirin and bed rest....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.