Author Topic: Otter hideout  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter hideout
« on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Been thinking about getting the new otter hideout. Anyone have one that could give me an honest review of it. Also how was it pulling. I have an otter cabin but it's just to big for me to drag by myself. Thanks

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otter hideout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2016, 11:58 AM »
I have an Otter Hide out and a Clam thermal XL...
I haven't had a chance to fish with it yet but construction wise I'm not sure the hideout is worth the extra money compared to the Clam....Opening and closing the hideout the sled seems to want to tip over and doesn't operate real smooth...The sled quality is nothing special..The seat could be better....The Canvas is nice and has no pin holes that let light through...
I have an Otter 1200 Cabin also so I am not anti Otter but just playing with the hideout in my basement I'm not overly impressed..We will see how I feel when I get it on the ice.but 500 dollars or so is alot for the degree of quality if you compare it to what you get with a cabin or against the Clam for alot less money..
I'll be puting it on a smitty sled so it should pull fine..

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2016, 01:30 PM »
I have the "Hideout" and I like it.  I really like the flip it and go feature.  I can heat mine with the buddy heater. 
I use a 4x4 for most of my ice fishing and I can slide it right up on my back rack with the auger up front............I'm ready to go.  I had the otter cottage but it was just too heavy for me,so I sold it. All in all it fits my needs.

Offline BH ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:31 PM »
I have a Clam Kenai (uninsulated) that I have had for years and this year I bought an Otter Hideout. The Hideout pulls easier than the Kenai. One reason is probably due to the smaller sled footprint. The downside of the smaller sled is you cannot put as much gear in it as the Kenai. The poles on the Hideout are wider than the sled so it is a little awkward to handle/load in the truck. I don't want to lift it by grabbing the poles so, I usually have to remove the cover partially so I can hold onto the post that the seat mounts on and then reach around below the poles to the lip of the sled with the other hand to load it. It is kind of awkward for one person to lift/load. The Kenai poles are the same width as the sled so I can easily grab the lip of the sled and load it. I also worry about the Hideout poles getting bent since they are wider than the sled. When Hideout is set up, the fishable space is noticeable and nice due to the wide poles. The seat in the Hideout could be better as already stated. It does have a backrest and swivels so its not bad but seems to teeter side to side. The sled is sturdy and I like the large cup holder and there is a molded spot for a small bait puck on both sides. The canvas is great, insulated, warm, does not have pin holes. Its so warm I have not had to run my heater in it yet. Overall I like the Hideout but not sure it is worth $500. I bought my Kenai at Cabelas at the end of the season for $165. I upgraded the seat and put LED lights in it. The only reason I wanted to upgrade is because the Kenai I have is not insulated so it is not warm and the thing I really did not like is how loud the canvas was on a windy day. I think a new Kenai pro thermal is $350. I love Otter products and have a 1200 Cabin and a new Otter Lodge XT Pro. I guess IMO the Hideout is a nice shelter but overpriced. The Kenai Pro Thermal is probably a better bang for your buck.

Offline BH ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:16 PM »
I see Cabelas has the Otter Hideout on sale for $399.99 right now. $100 off. For that price I would say get one.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:14 AM »
I put a set of ski's on the tub and it makes loading the hideout inthe truck a snap.  Just set the tip of the skis on the tailgate and lift and slide it in.  I've been putting ski's on all of my portables for years now as a way to protect the bottom of the sled when I pull it.  They're a lot cheaper then buying hifax for them

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2016, 03:31 PM »
I see Cabelas has the Otter Hideout on sale for $399.99 right now. $100 off. For that price I would say get one.
Figures....I paid the higher price and we are just now getting enough ice to use it......lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.