Author Topic: Marcum Showdown Custom Case?  (Read 4285 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum Showdown Custom Case?
« on: Nov 23, 2013, 01:05 PM »
I've had my showdown for a few years now and the neoprene case is falling apart mainly due to it freezing to the ice and having to peal it off.  I was planning on making a custom case for it for this up coming season and was just wondering if anyone on here has already done this and could give me some ideas or post some pictures to help me out.  Thanks!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum Showdown Custom Case?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I have a showdown but I dont use the big battery I run mine on the AA baterys,I made a simple holder for mine out of a piece of plexi glass,I just cut it to fit the groves on the side then heated the plexi glass with a heat gun to bend it,when its bent it looks like a V from the side. it works good for me,I use a float on mine also

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2013, 06:37 PM »
I got the Glenns Case and mounted mine on a 2x6 inside it with some L brackets. I got the idea from someone else on here. I can take a Picture of mine if you want. I also mounted a Turn Buckle in there and used a rubber Washer for the cable. I can adjust the cable to any length for the transducer. Wait I do have pictures already. Here you go.

In the back of this is the battery which is held tight with L Brackets.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2013, 06:40 PM »
don't know about after market custom case, but why not buy a new a replacement one and water proof it or at least the bottom and or add some thing hard and water proof like plastic to the outside bottom with silicone.maybe find some plastic that you can form and have it mold to the bottom and part way up the sides.
thinking the lid of a bucket and a heat gun. form it, silicone it the case bottom.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Now this ain't cheap but here's what I did.  I bought a Vex Ultrapac base and a Trophy Angler generic round flasher case from Reeds.  I cut a proper sized piece from an old plastic cutting board I had and used screws to mount the Showdown base to that.  Finally I used machine screws and nylon lock nuts to mount the cutting board piece to the inside of the Ultrapac.  Why the cutting board material you ask.  I can't actually remember, but there must have been some reason in my mind at the time.  It might have been to dissipate the stress of the mounting screws over a larger area so as not to crack the "brittle" Vex base plastic.  The gimble bracket arms help protect the head unit somewhat from side impact and the base won't be able to fit down my auger hole.  Nice, sturdy setup and the case has a clear plastic front so I can keep it sealed up if I want.  Cable management is also integrated into the Ultrapac.  I can also use either the front eyebolt setup on the Vex base or a float for the 'ducer.  Actually could have done without the nylon outer case for that matter.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Here's a mod I did to my neoprene case to keep it off the ice and freezing down.Works great.PVC legs that are alittle longer in front so its angled up.Put a piece of plywood inside and screwed the pvc to it.It's 4 caps screwed to the plywood,then however long a legs u want and 4 more caps on the bottom.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2013, 01:29 AM »
Thanks for the ideas!  I did come across putting a type of laminant on the bottom of the neoprene case which would solve it freezing to the ice but I kind of wanted to get away from the whole soft case for durability.  I was kind of thinking more of maybe getting a genz blue box and mounting a plate to it so I could position the showdown in the center.  Can you see any problems with this idea?  Like would the battery be able to fit in the area that it should and other things like this?  Any knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated!  It's not set in stone yet by any means so any more ideas would be great!

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2013, 04:25 AM »
ill be watching this as i have the same issue with the case and i'm not quite ready for a new 30 dollar case from Marcum

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2013, 12:46 PM »
As far as the battery goes, I don't have a Genz box but the batteries are a standard size I believe so should be no problem.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2013, 02:11 PM »
nice little mod should do the job

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Umm.....I just sit mine on top of my 5 gal pail..... :whistle:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Come on Rebel, it can't be that simple.  What fun would that be.   ;D

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2013, 03:35 PM »
Ill try and get pics posted of mine when I get some time

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2013, 03:37 PM »
Come on Rebel, it can't be that simple.  What fun would that be.   ;D

True....a big 'bow DID knock my photo camera down the hole while he was floppin' across my shack floor, does that count??  :roflmao: :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2013, 05:24 PM »
Thanks for the ideas!  I did come across putting a type of laminant on the bottom of the neoprene case which would solve it freezing to the ice but I kind of wanted to get away from the whole soft case for durability.  I was kind of thinking more of maybe getting a genz blue box and mounting a plate to it so I could position the showdown in the center.  Can you see any problems with this idea?  Like would the battery be able to fit in the area that it should and other things like this?  Any knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated!  It's not set in stone yet by any means so any more ideas would be great!

That's kind of the route I took, as I wasn't particularly fond of the soft case. I can switch out my iPhone for my handheld gps unit.

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2013, 11:07 AM »
I just use an el cheapo 3 for $1.99 9x9 aluminum disposable baking pan from the grocery store to set mine in.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Medium sized army ammo can, waterproof, pretty sturdy, and usually pretty cheap.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2013, 12:19 AM »
jbird68

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2013, 06:59 AM »
How about this.

http://m.walleyetacklestore.com/aqpoto.html
Looks like a pretty expensive thing to own for what it would be used for.
<===Lefty===

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Anyone tried spraying flex seal on the bottom half of the bag? Would it hold up to the cold?
jbird68

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2017, 08:32 PM »
I took the cheap way out, I put it in a plastic bowl and no more problems with the case freezing to the ice.  If the bowl gets froze to the ice I just put one or two disposable hand warmers in it and it thaws it out in a little while.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.