Author Topic: Where is safe ice  (Read 1805 times)

Offline 78marcint

• IceShanty Rookie
Where is safe ice
« on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:28 PM »
Hi guys im planing to go fishing tomorrow its any safe ice in CT now ?

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Where is safe ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:30 PM »
Fill the tank and go for a ride and you will find

Offline 78marcint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Tank is full :-)🍻

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2016, 11:19 PM »
apparently right here in farmington,  saw 4 guys out on the ice today,   small koi  pond in my backyard   has  2.5-3 inches of clear back ice,  i still wouldnt trust it

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:23 PM »
look up the elevations+ go for ponds above 800ft. sea level+ you'll be fine-

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:26 PM »
no such thing, A man this weekend,in vermont drove his truck on lake Champlain,The truck went through, ,He made it out, only to die of hypothermia on the ice 100' from his truck. The point is you may survive falling through,after that every second counts, He was 23 yrs old. Do not go out alone.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:35 PM »
NW corner and some ne corner ponds have "safe" ice . Was on Winchester Saturday on " safe" ice and the screws holding the shanty down were hitting water. Never know when you hit a bad spot this year. Check the ice carefully . Then fish , have fun ,stay safe

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:23 PM »
And if you look good enough some sw coves and ponds have 4" of black ice.5" if you count the inch of crap ice.

Offline infamusc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard water fanatic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:27 PM »
I fished brimfield res in mass today. the ice was good but it was on the shady side. 2 inches black ice , 3 inches sow pack. It was the minimum i would ever fish. After this week it will be toast. Have to travel after this week, going to Lake Morey ,Vt for a binge this weekend. it's almost time to hang up wha we just took down. We were spoiled last year.

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:28 PM »
Guys fishing Wethersfield cove off I91 for pike today. 
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Today i was on the best ice ive seen all season...5" of clear black...took 5 solid hits of my spud to get it to go through.the shady ice i was on last week took 2 hits to break through 5".

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Do share BassOn!
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Check the conditions and reports section for updates.  More anglers need to share their reports for the safety of all.  Especially true in such a lean year that we've had this year.   There has been solid ice in CT for at least 4 weeks if you look in the right places.  That being said, I don't think I've seen anything much beyond 6" and many bodies of water are solid on one area and have open water in another.  Bantam is a perfect example.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2016, 09:49 PM »
champlain ain't a pond-pond means less than 15' deep+ tiny w/no river flowing through it.-northwest is the best right now-I'd stay clear of the big places like Winchester+highland.

Offline KUBES90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hog Livin'
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:06 PM »
Octane, thanks for that note. Just proves that you can never be too safe. Ive seen trucks and small cars go under on ice that was 'safe' by nearly everyones standards.  When i was in highschool the parking lots of launches in MI wiuld get packed early so people parked on ice in front. I saw $30,000 trucks totaled on 15 inches of 'safe ' ice. Done it mydelf but got lucky. I think it goes unsaid but youre foolish if you go only by what others do/say. Ill have my spud with me every trip this year. Shoot, look at winchester on saturday, when i punched my first hole i was shocked to see only 4 inches. By the way saw 6 inches of ice near the dam at beach pond (2/15). Plus about a dozen fishermen. It was packed.
"And I'll be catching them northern pike like on a 10 pound test"- Kid Rock

Offline Pepe Goody

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2016, 05:44 AM »
West Thompson Lake had 8" of mixed ice (5" black and top 3" of white mix).:

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:56 AM »
Small pond in East Lyme (SE corner) had 5-6" of good black ice yesterday. Ice all depends on size, depth, elevation, and protection from wind. Let's hope this weather today doesnt do too much damage.

Offline Tightlines R good

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lookin 4 ice
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:28 AM »
I was on Hamilton yesterday, had 6" of ice, 3" black 3" false. What every one really needs to watch out for is the edges. As for driving on the ice. I've been to N H for the Great Rotary Derby for over 25 yrs. Fished Wninni and Winchester, drove on both many times. Have also seen many younger people go thru. So to the gent who did say one must be careful when driving on ice . . . . . fore sure. Every lake is different and you need to know the body of water you are on. Be safe and enjoy your tight lines.
Best time of year to fish . . . .

Offline awiloja

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:48 PM »
I was just on Crystal Lake in Ellington. We had about 5" of all black ice. It's really slick and now its pouring.

Offline Jordanimal01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:51 PM »
I hit 2 diff spots in Chester and Killingworth today during the rain. Yesterday the ice was 7-8" mixed (4-5" black. White and airy on top) and today the ice was even better!! It all melted and then froze into a nice sheet of solid 5-7" of mint ice! Was literally better than yesterday haha. Plus the bite was on during the rain...couldn't keep the Yellows off my jig whether it was tipped or not!
Fish shudder in fear at the sound of my name...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.