Author Topic: Opinions on trout on the ice  (Read 1303 times)

Offline atarnacki

• Team IceShanty Regular
Opinions on trout on the ice
« on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:34 PM »
When targetting trout do you get em on the bottom or right below the ice? Any tips on catching them?

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Opinions on trout on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Can be caught anywhere in the water column. However I prefer to fish just under to 10' down depending on the depth.

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:16 AM »
Based on my experience at Mt. Tom, I've had better luck shallow and close to the surface, with tip ups and jigging.    But I've not really targeted trout anywhere else.   

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:29 AM »
The rainbows I caught were only 1.5'-4' under the ice. Of course I've only iced a few trout, and other species might have other habits...

Offline tlwhaler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Depends on what trout your targeting and what lakes your fishing. Some trout like browns only prefer live bait. I usually find them down deeper than most other trout except lakers.

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:10 AM »
You can get a hundred different answers to your question. A lot depends on the lake. Depth, structure, weeds, forage base, etc. all can play a part in what bait and presentation to use. For example there are two deep water trout lakes (60 ft. or more) in Ct. where one lake you will get the browns at the surface while another lake you can do better very close to the bottom. It's a lot of trial and error and experimentation. Don't be afraid to' think out of the box'. Trout can be caught in 2' of water,  Just my observations over the years.

Offline 68 TROUT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Hi:
TT is correct.
It all depends on the Lake you are fishing.
I use a simple rule.
If I am fishing 10' of water, I set my traps at 3', 6' 9' and see what happens.
From that simple example, you can do the math from there.
I usually do not target Trout, when fishing local lakes, although, they are there.
If Trout are there, this usually gives me a chance to ice them.
That coupled with good bait, will help you ice some Trout.
Be Safe-Tight Lines

Offline dmach83

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I can;t flyfish might as well jig
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:30 PM »
All of the above. When I jig at mohawk  for trout you never know until you see them. Electronics is a must for trout.  Last few times I outfished everyone who didn't have a machine.Your on the bottom and a red line comes 2 feet down you just reel up and get him.  Same goes for Candlewood. sometimes lol

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:41 PM »
I always herd just below to 3 feet under the ice for trout and salmon, but last time out in got a 23 inch salmon about 9 foot down in 10.5 fow and a fat brown 18 inches under the water. So I will now be setting different depths every time

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:55 PM »
You can get a hundred different answers to your question. A lot depends on the lake. Depth, structure, weeds, forage base, etc. all can play a part in what bait and presentation to use. For example there are two deep water trout lakes (60 ft. or more) in Ct. where one lake you will get the browns at the surface while another lake you can do better very close to the bottom. It's a lot of trial and error and experimentation. Don't be afraid to' think out of the box'. Trout can be caught in 2' of water,  Just my observations over the years.
+1

You could get yourself sick with all the valid tips anglers will give you. they can be caught cruising just under ice or down deep. I try to fish flats that come to a point underwater and then a drop off. I will set a trap on the bottom and one about 3 feet under the ice near the break. Then jig to my hearts content.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Jfishermann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:48 PM »
ive had good luck for browns 2' off the bottom, but at crystal lake all flags were just under the ice

Offline BigFishCT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:37 AM »
The bottom was productive for rainbows

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:08 AM »

I know which ones your talking about and that seems to be very true.

Offline atarnacki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Anyone know how to ice fish Cedar Lake in Chester for trout?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.