The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Is it too early to start thinking about it?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Is it too early to start thinking about it?
« on: Sep 23, 2019, 09:09 AM »
I week or so ago, I started thinking about upgrading my equipment inventory to include a new 2-man flip.  My EVO1 has been great and I plan to keep it for my walk on trips when conditions dictate snowmobile use is denied.  Doing some research revealed that Clam has a new product this year that I think will fit the bill rather nicely - the Nanook XL Thermal with the new door redesign.  I've talked to Clam and they told me they SHOULD be in dealer inventories by early October.  I'm checking daily on a couple of websites (Cabelas & Scheels) but haven't seen them as of yet.

I would appreciate information on other on-line sources to check if you know of any that have done you right in the past.  While Cabelas & Scheels may not have the lowest prices on this, I can get them shipped to my local stores for free and the oversize box fee can generate some hefty shipping charges.  Thanks for any help you can send my way.  It's going to be a great year - I hope!   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Re: Is it too early to start thinking about it?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2019, 10:09 AM »
As it stands right now, here re the prices on the Nanook XL Thermal delivered to my home or a local store:

Click on the image below to see it in a bigger format.

Sportsmans Guide (SG) has free shipping for Club Members and would be the best place to buy it even with the Annual Club Membership fee of $50.  The shipping fee shown for SG line above is the oversize item fee required by FedEx.  If I also buy the Frogg Toggs breathable waders from SG, that would split the membership fee in half and the total cost of the Nanook would then be $507.95
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:26 PM »
    ;D It looks a bit wintery out tonight and the wind chill is 5 degrees. Time to dig out the gear and clean it up. Maybe the ice will come on early this year.   :tipup:

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Bob,

I checked my old reliable site in “glensoutdoors.com” as that’s where I bought my auger and hut. They had “free shipping over $50 and their prices were the best. However it looks like they may have went out of business. Or they’re just updating their site. Tough to tell.

If it were me and I was looking st your list I’d try and pop into or give scheels a call. I would bet they’d match sportsmans guides price or at least drop it to where they’d be less overall, in order to gain your business. Also, if anything happens with your tent they are a dream to work with in customer service. You just call em, they say they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, they send you a prepaid shipping label and you send it back. They’re great!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2019, 05:26 PM »
Too early to think about it? I'm not sure. My ice fishing calendar is perpetual sooooo :blink:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2019, 09:57 PM »
Has anyone fished lakes up in the snowies above saratoga on the range? Mirror or marrie? I’ve open water but last little bit I have been thinking it may be fun to try to get out on the ice and try it!

Offline Djfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:15 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing.  We were up at Mirror Lake on 7/1 this last year.  It was still about 75% ice.  I can't imagine that there are not good fishing options up there.  We're new to this part of Wyoming (Cheyenne before) so I'm still learning it all.  The advantage to up there might be less wind.  Hope so.

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:29 PM »
I saw some pictures today that some of the lakes are getting ice, with those lakes I’m Leary about safety, once they get a bunch of snow I doubt ice will be safe and may only be accessible with snowmobile but next weekend I’ll be going over the range and will be able to get a better look but getting a few Brookies through the ice would be fun I think!

Offline rspice1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2019, 01:38 AM »
W8NonICE I bet the fishing would be fire up there but the problems would getting into them. Need a snow machine for sure then digging through the feet of snow to get to the ice
What happens in the shanty....stays in the shanty

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:07 PM »
Support your local tackle shops, most will match prices if they are not losing any money on the sale.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.