The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Baked Kokanee  (Read 692 times)

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Baked Kokanee
« on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Time for a change-of-pace topic.  Does anyone have a combination of spices that works well for baked kokanee?  I'm looking for a non-smoked, non-fried method of preparing some of the kokanee I catch this season.  I've got my brine dialed in for smoking and could serve my battered/fried perch in a restaurant, but I've done very little experimenting the realm of more healthier ways of cooking, haha.  Oh, and for how long and at what temperature would you recommend cooking 10" kokes?  Thanks!

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Baked Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:18 PM »
I use corn meal and prime rib seasoning, Bake 350* for 5 min.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:18 PM »
Mix up mayo, lemon juice, pepper, and dill weed. Spread that on the flesh side of fillets, place skin down on well seasoned grill, or on a piece of lightly oiled foil, bake till it flakes, maybe 5-10 mins at 375

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:11 PM »
I use corn meal and prime rib seasoning, Bake 350* for 5 min.
Having never breaded anything that wasn't destined for the skillet, does a breading in the oven turn out well?  Or are you putting the cornmeal on the inside of the fish like Lundin suggested with his paste?  Prime rib spices eh?  You're a bold man...is that your go-to spice for fish in general?

Mix up mayo
This is the 2nd reference I've seen to mayo and salmon.  I'm certainly not questioning it, but is there any particular reason?

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:14 PM »
Yes and I put it on both sides, use light coating of olive oil on pan,

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:54 PM »
Buy some peach-mango or pineapple salsa.  Sprinkle the kokanees with black pepper, slather them with the salsa, and bake then at 375 degrees F until they are done.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Thanks Pete! I tried the first two suggestions with my latest batch, I'll give yours a whirl on the next!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.