The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Clark Canyon Ice/conditions  (Read 1183 times)

Offline IllynPayne

• IceShanty Rookie
Clark Canyon Ice/conditions
« on: Feb 25, 2009, 06:53 AM »
Just curious how the ice on Clark Canyon is holding up with this warmer weather.  Also interested in reports of anyone who has been down that way.  Wife and I are planning on hitting Lone Tree this coming Sunday, but I haven't been on the ice for 3+ weeks.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, otherwise, there will be a report Sunday evening as to our adventure.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clark Canyon Ice/conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2009, 05:24 PM »
The ice itself is real good, at least 16 inches and clear/hard.  The problem is that the shore line is deteoriating pretty rapidly.  You can still get on and off, but expect wet boot tops on the way out.  Fishing has been pretty good.  Fished it last Saturday and limited in a half hour, plus lost one and missed 3 others.  The landed fish were 2 at 20 inches, and 1 at 21 inches.  Went back Monday with a friend.  He limited and I landed 2, but over the course of 3 hours.  We both also lost several at the hole, and missed a bunch of others.  Hit it again today, and landed two (both 20 inches), lost 3 at the holes, and missed 5 others.  Most everything caught has been about 6 feet below the ice, but a few have come from the bottom at about 18 feet.  Been using maribou jigs tipped with maggots.  Most of the ice shacks have been removed from the ice as well.  I think everyone sees an end to a great season not too far ahead.  Good luck this weekend!

Offline IllynPayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2009, 01:54 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Good to know about the shoreline, may bring along the rubber boots for good measure.  Hoping for a good day, this will likely be the last trip till we can fish from shore.  I'll post back Sunday night.  Till then, pray for good weather!

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2009, 07:03 PM »
As you probably guessed/hoped, the cold temps the last two nights has solidified the shore ice again.  Even with the moderate temps expected this week, getting on the ice should be no problem.

Went up again today, and had moderate success.  I fished for four and a half hours and it took all of it to get my limit.  Also missed 5 fish.  There were only 2 other guys in my area, and they had only caught a fish each prior to my leaving (they had only been on the ice for an hour or so).  I don't fish Lone Tree, so I don't know how they were doing over there. 

Good luck tomorrow.  Anxious to hear how you do.  I will probably head back over mid-week.

Offline IllynPayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:14 PM »
*sigh*... Went down this morning, fished 5 hours with absolutely no action.  Only sign of life in the water was a mid-sized carp that cruised by about an hour into our soak.  Nice day though, aside from the wind, shack was nice and warm.  I had no success but another Anaconda guy I know had a decent day over by the interstate.  May try there next weekend if the weather is right.  One observation I made was how fast the ice deteriorated while we were out.  When we packed out onto the ice, the surface was skating-rink hard and slick with little to no standing water.  By mid-afternoon it felt like walking on firm slush, with larger pools of water forming where debris was trapped in the ice.  Even with the cold nights I can't imagine the ice being sound for too much longer.  So tread lightly and bring a friend.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Sorry to hear that your luck wasn't with you.  IF you do make it back over next weekend and the fish still are not cooperative, try jigging with a spoon for a bit.  I learned that trick on Clark quite a few years back, and that is what saved the day for me on Saturday.  I use a Thomas Cyclone (I think thats the name).  Its like a daredevil but is of hammered copper on one side with white and red spots.  Jig it softly and then aggressivly until you find what works.  When they do hit the spoon, there is NO denying that you have a fish on.  I caught my last two fish Saturday within 5 minutes of each other using this method.

I was planning on one last trip mid-week, but with the nice temps I think that I will probably put up the ice gear for the season and break out the fly rod.  Had a great season.

Offline IllynPayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2009, 04:55 AM »
Thanks for the tip. 

That fly-rod idea sounds like a pretty good one.  There were plenty of people fishing the Beaverhead below Pipe-Organ.  This is a good time to hit the rivers, with the water still being low before run-off.  Good luck to yah.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.