The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tiber ice?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline walleyevzn

• IceShanty Rookie
Tiber ice?
« on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:36 PM »
Anybody fished Tiber lately?

What are the ice conditions?

Fishing reports?

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tiber ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:33 PM »
I heard there was 22 inces of ice there last week. As for fishing reports alittle mixed but overall fairly slow it sounds like.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:49 PM »
going to tiber on Friday, any reports would be appreciated, if not I will post how it was on Sat morning....
l

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:31 PM »
fished Tiber Feb 13-14 lots of ice with very little snow so make sure you have a good pair of ice cleats.Fishing was a little slow for both walleyes and pike.Hope you do better than we did,good luck.

Offline walleyevzn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:43 PM »
fished Tiber Feb 13-14 lots of ice with very little snow so make sure you have a good pair of ice cleats.Fishing was a little slow for both walleyes and pike.Hope you do better than we did,good luck.

Musky,

Were you up Willow Creek? Just using tip ups or did you have a spear house too? Would like to know as i will hopefully be up that way first part of March.
Thanks

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2009, 10:55 PM »
we were on the main lake just south of miller's slough and west of the marina.We just fished with tip-ups.The pike we cought wre on both minnows and frozen herring.Good luck let us know how you do.

Offline swmtjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2009, 02:21 PM »
We were at Tiber last weekend (Miller's Bottom) and the ice was in good shape.  I did not actually measure the thickness but it was at least 15"-20".  There were quite a few small open water areas due to gas pockets (most were marked).  We fished with tip-ups and it was pretty slow.  Caught a few perch, pike and walleye.  Nothing big.

Plan on taking my kids up there tomorrow.  Would like to get into Miller's again and I was wondering if anyone could give me a snow report.  Looks like it has been snowing up there and I was wondering about access.

Thanks for your time, John.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2009, 07:26 PM »
How are you getting to Millers? I have been thinking about a Sunday outing and haven't decided if I want to drive quit that far.  I would really love some walleye and northern action before ice out and haven't had a lot of luck in Montana for those species thus far.

Offline swmtjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2009, 10:01 PM »
We go North on I-15 to Shelby and then go East to Telstad (sp) road and work our way to the lake from there.  I am pretty sure the place we our going is called Miller's Bottom but I have also heard people talking about a Miller's Slough.  I don't know if these are the same places or not.

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2009, 05:24 PM »
millers slough might be tuff tomm after it starts melting theres alot of mud shoreline   been there done that  lmao           
 probly hit pishken tomm

Offline walleyevzn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2009, 12:21 PM »
We were at Tiber last weekend (Miller's Bottom) and the ice was in good shape.  I did not actually measure the thickness but it was at least 15"-20".  There were quite a few small open water areas due to gas pockets (most were marked).  We fished with tip-ups and it was pretty slow.  Caught a few perch, pike and walleye.  Nothing big.

Plan on taking my kids up there tomorrow.  Would like to get into Miller's again and I was wondering if anyone could give me a snow report.  Looks like it has been snowing up there and I was wondering about access.

Thanks for your time, John.

How did you do this past weekend? What were the conditions like up there? I plan on making it up there this weekend, so any report of conditions would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Mthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:52 PM »
I was up there this past weekend. The fishing was good but the catching was slow! we fished from sun up to sun down with tip-ups and jigging. caught a bunch of little perch, some of the smallest I'd ever seen and one trout. There is plenty of ice in Millers slough. 20-25" and the snow had little to no impact on getting down there.

Offline walleyevzn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:32 PM »
I was up there this past weekend. The fishing was good but the catching was slow! we fished from sun up to sun down with tip-ups and jigging. caught a bunch of little perch, some of the smallest I'd ever seen and one trout. There is plenty of ice in Millers slough. 20-25" and the snow had little to no impact on getting down there.

No pike? That is amazing. So I assume you didn't fish anything deeper than 15' of water? There seems to be plenty of perch running around which is good to help beef up the walleye but the downside is they aren't hungry for our bait. I assume you were using minnows for bait? I know that it has been pretty slow most of the winter up there...except for that 16 pounder that kid from Fairfield caught....Did you have a spear house set up?

Offline Mthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:34 PM »
We had everything from 2 to 30 fow covered. No spearing tho. We used nothing but minows. A few of the tip-ups we had 10-12" live minows and nothing as far as snott rockets. I don't know what the deal is there this winter but we always kill the eyes when the lake is open water.

Offline swmtjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:07 PM »
Walleyevzn, I have not figured out how to "quote" yet but,

Overall it was a pretty good weekend for the kids.  Enough flags went up to keep them interested.  We had 3 adults and 3 kids on the trip.  We used tip-ups with 2-3" minnows and caught a mess of perch (some were decent size), half a dozen walleye (nothing very big), 3 hammer handle pike and one ling.  One of the pike was caught in shallow water on smelt.  The water was about 8' deep where we were fishing.  Talked to a few other people and fishing was slow for them also.  The ice was close to 24" with a couple inches of snow.

Good luck to you, John

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:33 AM »
Swmtjohn,
                     I was the poor sucker next to you with out a fourwheeler Ha.

Offline swmtjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2009, 09:52 AM »
Might try to get one more trip in and I was wondering if anyone had any new information on ice conditions at Tiber (Millers or Bootlegger)?  It looks like it is suppose to get pretty warm up there this weekend.

Thanks, John.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.