The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Peck vs Boysen (or maybe Keyhole) Reservoirs  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
Peck vs Boysen (or maybe Keyhole) Reservoirs
« on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:06 PM »
Which do you think would be more fun to make a trip of?  I'm talking about maybe a 4 day trip staying in a motel (since I sold my old trailer) hopefully near the ice.  Don't have an ATV/Snowmobile. 

I have fished Peck many times, mostly in a boat, and that is a plus given that I know what to expect.  Did fish Boysen long ago in softwater conditions, but no longer know what that is like as far as fishing and local amenities like food and lodging.  The wild card is Keyhole, which I've been threatening to fish for several years now.  Don't know anything about Keyhole either.

Mainly looking for walleye.  Not looking to set a world record, but some decent action would be nice.  For Peck, not having an ATV is a bit of a handicap, but how about the others?  All the reservoirs are roughly similar in travel.

Any input is appreciated.

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Peck vs Boysen (or maybe Keyhole) Reservoirs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:01 PM »
I have fished Boysen many times and can help you out with info on it. There is a motel that is close to the lake in Shoshoni I think it is called the Desert Inn. That would be the closest place to stay near the water, I have a camper so I stay at a campground on the lakeshore.

The fishing is still good for trout, ling, walleye and perch. Early ice is best fishing but the perch fishing seems to stay good throughout if you folow them to deep water, 50-60 ft of water.

So far the last couple of weeks the fishing has been real slow, maybe due to the ammount of forage fish (lots of them) in the lake...
There is a big Derby going on this weekend on Boysen so check the Wyoming page for fishing info...
There is also some good info on there about local bait dealers in and around Shoshoni...

Hope this helps, PM me if you have any more specific questions.....
I may need some info on Peck sometime

Keep calm and return fire...

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:37 AM »
Thanks, I'll trade some info on PM too.  Thanks.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:57 AM »
hellcreek marina at ft. peck rents atvs and there is a motel right there with a store bait and fishing and ice info check out their website

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Did not know they rent ATVs.  I have fished out of Hell Creek in my boat, but I haven't icefished that area because I don't have an ATV.  That sounds promising.  The icefishing I've done on Peck has been around the Big Dry Arm and around the dam.

I'll check that out. Thanks.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:02 AM »
no problem  ;D

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:33 AM »
Seed tree we used to fish Hell Creek in February quite a bit, and on the points just across from the marina we caught alot of big northerns.  We used to go out on the points towards the main lake and catch some nice walleye and lakers but you really need some transportation to make that haul.  Some other options that are not that close to a motel but are driveable from jordan each day are Snow Creek or Gilbert Creek.  We have done very well in both of those bays.  Snow Creek used to kick out some huge northerns and some ling and walleyes, and this year there is probably enough water to fish some good weed growth in there.  Gilbert always produced some big lakers and big walleye, and also the occassional big pike, but there are alot of gas pockets in this bay so be careful if you venture in also the road is difficult to find the first time you go in there. Where ever you go I hope you catch some good fish.  Remember on Peck if the ice is good don't forget about those main lake points for big eyes sometimes they can be good in feb, and march.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:36 AM »
If you need info on Peck just contact Clint Thomas at the Hell Creek marina. He can answer any questions you have on lodging and ATV Rentals. His number is 406-557-2345. I have been making trips to Ft. Peck every year since 1995. My trips are usually 10 to 14 day trips. There is no comparison between the lakes you mentioned. I live 98 miles from Boysen and less than 160 miles from Keyhole. While you can have some good action on either lake, they are not even in the same league as Peck. Two years ago I iced 3 walleye over 11 pounds in 1 1/2 days in Snow Creek. One of the 3 went 13 lbs 4 oz. A word of caution though. One of my best friends owns the Hell Creek Bar in Jordan so I get weekly updates. There is a TON of snow in that country this year and you will not be able to access Gilbert or Snow Creek by road like Wallinuts suggested. He is right on the money though about those two bays. Awesome fishing in either. You can access Snow Creek, Devils Creek and Sutherland by ATV on the ice by going in Hell Creek. Sutherland and Snow Creek both are within 10 miles of the Hell Creek Marina so its not that bad a trip on the ice. Be careful of pressure ridges and Methane Gas pockets ANYWHERE you go on Peck. There are plenty. Ice is 24 plus inches on Hell Creek and in the high teens on the main lake. Weather was -24 below zero this morning so I am sure the ice is growing as we speak. Crooked Creek and Gilbert would be a Hell of a trip from Hell Creek on the ice but I suppose it could be done. I will be up there from the 7th thru the 17th so if your trip happens to fall between those dates, let me know and I will tell you how to find me. I would be happy to steer you in the right direction.

IceTroll
      :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:05 AM »
Icetroll..guys like you make a fellow icefisherman proud. Not that it effects me,but thanks for giving out the info. I'm sure it will help seedtree in his decision.  ;)

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:43 AM »
Thank you for your kind words rodrunner. I am always willing to help a brother out especially on a subject I am well versed. I have gone to the school of hard knocks when it comes to fishing Ft. Peck through the ice. Much of what I learned, I learned on my own with a little bit of help along the way. Ft. Peck is a wonderful lake that can make an Ice Fisherman's dreams come true. Conversally though, it is a brutal lake that will kill you in a heart beat if you let it. On that frozen pond, help can be a long ways away.

On another note, something I forgot to mention seedtree. Not sure if you are in to predator hunting but the Coyote Hunting on Ft. Peck is nothing short of phenominal. During slow times you will find me up in those hills calling in and shooting Coyotes. Its a great way to keep a guy busy and active all day long. Of course I do get some strange looks when I roll up to someone with an AR15 strapped to my wheeler  :o....... ;D.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Many thanks for the info.  Your posts have got me fired up to go to Peck again.  Might go this weekend but likely in the Duck Creek Bay and the Rock Creek areas.  There are some spots there that I know that have produced in the past and I can haul my shanty to by hand.

I would like very much to tie in with you during your exercursion to Hell Creek.  Hopefully work and weather will allow me to get up there while you're up there on the Hell Creek side.  That whole reservoir is just amazing.

A sidenote - on Sunday I saw a truck with ATV and hardsided shack heading North, no doubt to Peck.  I very nearly dropped everything and took off after him.  LOL.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:03 PM »
You cant go wrong in the Dry Arm. I have fished North Rock Creek several times as well as Nelson and McGuire when the lake had a bit more water. Always did very well. Tough for me to fish the Dry Arm though because I do not usually attend my tipups and there is a TON of submerged timber in the Dry Arm. I lost alot of fish because they would wrap me around a tree and it was all over but the crying. I found the main lake arm more suitable for my style of fishing. If you make it to Hell Creek, I will be camped out on the ice in front of the main boat ramp in a 24' Arctic Fox Camper and a maroon and silver Dodge Diesel PU. Stop in any time.

IceTroll

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2009, 12:57 PM »
You cant go wrong in the Dry Arm. I have fished North Rock Creek several times as well as Nelson and McGuire when the lake had a bit more water. Always did very well. Tough for me to fish the Dry Arm though because I do not usually attend my tipups and there is a TON of submerged timber in the Dry Arm. I lost alot of fish because they would wrap me around a tree and it was all over but the crying. I found the main lake arm more suitable for my style of fishing. If you make it to Hell Creek, I will be camped out on the ice in front of the main boat ramp in a 24' Arctic Fox Camper and a maroon and silver Dodge Diesel PU. Stop in any time.

IceTroll
IceTroll
Do you anticipate any problems getting your camper into Hell Creek? I am planning on going on the 12-16 and have a Toy hauler camper that same size but I was unsure if it would be worth trying to get it to the lake or not. I sent you a PM as well...

Keep calm and return fire...

Offline olbaits

• IceShanty Rookie
fort peck
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:25 PM »
I am really wanting to ice fish peck, I have only fished it in the summer.  I am not sure about a few things and could use some advice.  My equiptment- 6+ frabil tip-ups, frabill ice house, nice rods\reels, vexilar, buddy heater, and auger.  I do not have a 4 wheeler but I do have a snowmobile, I am not sure if sled will work if there is no snow on ice.  I do not want to burn up my sled, boondockin in the mountains is my other passion.  I would love to fish new parts of the lake but my big problem is that I my fishin partner left and I know this lake can be dangerous,  can fish be caught near the marina.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:15 PM »
IceTroll,

after getting a better read on your earlier post, I believe I know your buddy that owns the Hell Creek Bar in Jordan.  Joe H. did some realty appraisal work with me down in SE MT a few years back.  He's good folk with a good eye for rural country.  We always stop in his place on the way to, but not from, Peck. LOL.

Small world.

My .02s.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I have fished Boysen many times and can help you out with info on it. There is a motel that is close to the lake in Shoshoni I think it is called the Desert Inn. That would be the closest place to stay near the water, I have a camper so I stay at a campground on the lakeshore.

The fishing is still good for trout, ling, walleye and perch. Early ice is best fishing but the perch fishing seems to stay good throughout if you folow them to deep water, 50-60 ft of water.

So far the last couple of weeks the fishing has been real slow, maybe due to the ammount of forage fish (lots of them) in the lake...
There is a big Derby going on this weekend on Boysen so check the Wyoming page for fishing info...
There is also some good info on there about local bait dealers in and around Shoshoni...

Hope this helps, PM me if you have any more specific questions.....
I may need some info on Peck sometime

Thanks,

I use to fish Boysen when I worked in the Gas Hills back in the late 70s.  Loved the ling from under the causeway.  Never had a boat or ice fishing gear back then.  Thank you for the up to date info.

Terry

Offline 10 pointer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:43 AM »
icetroll, many great pics, I am very interested in making a trip next winter. I need to ask you many questions, as I am from NH, and want to make the trip a productive one if possible. Is there any chance to chat via email?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.