Author Topic: Any Alternatives To Mr. Buddy Portable Heater?  (Read 9041 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Any Alternatives To Mr. Buddy Portable Heater?
« on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:27 PM »
I'm relatively new to ice fishing.  Got a hub shelter (Bigfoot xl2000) and a reconditioned Mr Buddy Portable Heater last year.  Well the heater never worked right last year, but I I limped through. Tried to fix it this week using two different YouTube videos but no luck.

I'm know these are more or less the standard for heaters.  While i like the little buddy due to its simplicity, I think it's not quite enough for my non-insulated hub on cold days.  The big buddy seems like it might be overkill, especially since i may get a flip over next year.

My question is if there are any alternatives worth considering.  Maybe one of the sunflower styles?  Any advice would be appreciated.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Any Alternatives To Mr. Buddy Portable Heater?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:15 AM »
what is yours doing that is not right? maybe we can help you fix it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:58 AM »

X2.

I had a MR heater big buddy that was a huge POS.....hated it. So went to a Mr heater cooker. I was happy with it. However I just tried a mr heater portable buddy for my one man flip. If my Mr heater big buddy worked that well I never would have switched from it.

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2018, 01:00 AM »
Hard to beat buddy heaters and I wouldn't care to use another type at this point, sunflower types work good and are cheap.  If you go that route I've always preferred the cooker style.  I've had more trouble with tank top ones scorching a hole through something, usually my jacket.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2018, 01:30 AM »
There is the dyna glo heat around 360 but I bought the small one worked fine ... bought the elite model darn thing a little breeze kicks up with door open pops and about catches fire.. have to shUT it off and restart heater.. .. seen similar with buddy heaters.. so it could be hit and miss with what you ever you buy also had problems with a tank top sun flower the tip over safety broke??  And never would re start had it for 5 days before this happened..  so you never know ??

Offline jlbrownie_1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2018, 01:51 AM »
I've had a Mr. Heater (heater/cooker) for 7+ years now. It gets the job done and I cook on it so less gears in my sled. (The design could use an update)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:01 AM »
I've had a Mr. Heater (heater/cooker) for 7+ years now. It gets the job done and I cook on it so less gears in my sled. (The design could use an update)

This is the updated version here..

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Quiet-Blind-Heater-Cooker-by-Mr-Heater/746156.uts?slotId=5

Lifetime warranty, same thing as a buddy, without all the pretty plastic...

I've been using one and I like it a lot, going to try an adjustable regulator though, runs a little bit hot for me..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:03 AM »
Edit: it's only a 1 year warranty now..

Mine is a lifetime warranty...

<°)))>{

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:13 AM »

It's difficult to start and will then run for about 20 minutes before choking itself out.  I already disassembled and cleaned the lines.  After that didn't work, I put some alcohol into the pilot light and used my air compressor to blow the system in reverse.  Still have the same issues.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:45 AM »
For the extra $10 get the pretty plastic.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:10 AM »
After looking into some of the options suggested I think I'm sticking with the Mr. Buddy Portable. 

Reviews suggest the sunflowers aren't as safe.  Also don't want to burn a hole in my jacket.  :o ???

sunniewally

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Pretty hard to beat the buddy heaters. I have both and they are great. The big buddy  is nice to have if your out in the real cold and a bigger house. Mostly I use the regular buddy. the 2 settings make it pretty versatile
. No more burned sleeves or holes in the fish house walls!!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Decision made.  Got a NEW Buddy heater for $60 through Gander with a promo code.  I debated the big buddy, but I think it would be overkill for my shelter unless it was really cold.  I'm also hoping to get into a flip over next year or the year after, so the regular buddy seemed like the way to go.

Moral of the story, buyer beware on "factory reconditioned" items.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:56 AM »
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but my experience with the buddy heaters is to run one of their in-line filters no matter what propane container or hose you run. They say their green, 10' hose is immune to leeching rubber but I had a buddy heater fail when using a bulk tank and that green hose. Clogged jet, just like the time it failed before that. About 7 years ago I started using in-line filters- even when running the occasional 1lb tank- and my buddy heater has been flawless. Maybe coincidence but I'm using a filter, always, always from now on.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Edit: it's only a 1 year warranty now..

Mine is a lifetime warranty...

<°)))>{

Try collecting on that! I had a pair of Cabelas Dry Plus waders with lifetime warranty. They wouldn't replace them, saying they "wern't the same company" since merging with Bass Pro!
Scheels, Dakota Angler & Dakota Outfitter have sure benefited from that decision!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:36 AM »
The adjustable regulator mod on a Cabelas silent heater/cooker works great

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Sounds like you just got a bad one. Sell it on ebay or craiglist and buy a new one. I have tried several and the buddy heater seems to be the best option for the money.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:31 AM »
About 7 years ago I started using in-line filters- even when running the occasional 1lb tank- and my buddy heater has been flawless. Maybe coincidence but I'm using a filter, always, always from now on.

I've never ran a large tank on it, but since it was factory refurbished the previous guy may have. 

I also thought about running a filter on the 1lb tanks.  Do you have enough vertical clearance to run the filter and then the 1lb tank, or does it become too tall to stand with them both connected?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2018, 10:45 AM »
You could, but the tank would be cocked waaay out to the right side and you only want gas entering the heater, not liquid propane.  I'm pretty sure Coleman and Flame King both recommend that their cylinders remain upright as much as possible.  A filter on a 1 lb. tank is unnecessary.  The only reason a filter is needed is if you are using one of the old style hoses for bulk tank hookup that contained plasticizers in the rubber to make the hoses more flexible in the cold.  The propane caused the plasticizers to leech out and would eventually clog the jet on the heater.

DN 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:00 AM »
It's difficult to start and will then run for about 20 minutes before choking itself out.  I already disassembled and cleaned the lines.  After that didn't work, I put some alcohol into the pilot light and used my air compressor to blow the system in reverse.  Still have the same issues.
sounds like a worn thermo couplerr to me. a trick i did was move it closer to the pilot using every thing that holds it now. after you get it in you see how to do it.

also, these are cold blooded and you have to hold the pilot knob down longer than you think you need to to get them to light. the colder it is the longer you have to hold it down, even before trying to ignite it. so hold the pilot knob down long before trying to ignite the pilot and then continue to hold it down after it is lit. if it goes out, repeat and hold longer after it is lit to try to get the thermo coulpler hot enough to hold the gas valve open. if you change it and it still happens then the gas valve is going.

if you take it apart, you might want to do the pilot wind guard that bart made out of a pop can. he is on this site and made a you tube of how to do it.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:14 AM »
I've used a sunflower mr heater/ cooker in our shooting house for nearly 15 years.This heater is pretty loud as far as white noise goes,and yes,you need to keep your pant legs clear of it,but with three settings,I never turn it above the low setting.
  It's super easy to cook off of,and has worked flawlessly,I connect it with a 6' hose to a twenty lb tank,all said its a great heater / cooker for how I use it,a buddy heater may be a neater way to go,but using one lb tanks is pretty much a waste for my application.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:38 AM »
I have both don’t have a favorite. Depends on what I am doing that particular day? Main issue with the buddy is going out when the wind comes under the flaps need to check out the wind guard mentioned above! Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Decision made.  Got a NEW Buddy heater for $60 through Gander with a promo code.  I debated the big buddy, but I think it would be overkill for my shelter unless it was really cold.  I'm also hoping to get into a flip over next year or the year after, so the regular buddy seemed like the way to go.

Moral of the story, buyer beware on "factory reconditioned" items.
Might just have had bad luck The Buddy heater I have had for three seasons was a reconditioned unit no issues. Have a couple of other things that were reconditioned? I think the trick is getting the open box items.
Keep it up! JDL

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:13 PM »
I've never ran a large tank on it, but since it was factory refurbished the previous guy may have. 

I also thought about running a filter on the 1lb tanks.  Do you have enough vertical clearance to run the filter and then the 1lb tank, or does it become too tall to stand with them both connected?

The 1 lb'ers have to sit at an angle unless you use a milk crate or something to prop the heater up on and the bottle can hang, which is what I do.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:52 PM »
I have had a big buddy for a few years and pretty happy with it. Lots of adjustment,  I use it in my flipover and in my ice shack. Also use it in the shed when skinning/cutting up deer. Also nice to cook on or perk a fresh cup of coffee. Also like the safety features.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:57 PM »
sounds like a worn thermo couplerr to me. a trick i did was move it closer to the pilot using every thing that holds it now. after you get it in you see how to do it.

also, these are cold blooded and you have to hold the pilot knob down longer than you think you need to to get them to light. the colder it is the longer you have to hold it down, even before trying to ignite it. so hold the pilot knob down long before trying to ignite the pilot and then continue to hold it down after it is lit. if it goes out, repeat and hold longer after it is lit to try to get the thermo coulpler hot enough to hold the gas valve open. if you change it and it still happens then the gas valve is going.

if you take it apart, you might want to do the pilot wind guard that bart made out of a pop can. he is on this site and made a you tube of how to do it.
Trying to find the video. Any help? Thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:50 PM »
The adjustable regulator mod on a Cabelas silent heater/cooker works great

Thanks for mentioning that, glad to hear it works..

Good luck this season!!

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:38 PM »

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:29 PM »
I bought a Mr Buddy heater brand new last year. Used it once in my 2 man flip over. It kept going out on me. I shelved it and went back to the my 30 year old heater/cooker. Half the weight and zero problems.
I made the pilot wind shield over the summer. I suppose I'll try it again, but I was expecting more from the Buddy given all the hype.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:32 PM »

i did this it works great. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.