Author Topic: Mora Nova  (Read 2921 times)

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
Mora Nova
« on: Aug 10, 2018, 07:21 AM »
For anyone interested, this is one of the only places I've found that will ship Mora Nova augers to the USA. They aren't cheap; however, they're the cats meow out on the ice. There's a guy on E-Bay that sells 22mm drill adapters to fit the Mora Nova.

http://www.powerboats.lv/en/ishop/?search=Mora+nova

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mora Nova
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Other than the offset handle I bet it's the same as a lazer.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Yes that is stupid expensive.
<===Lefty===

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2018, 09:30 AM »
HT Nero Mini.....Just sayin..
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2018, 12:15 PM »
For anyone interested, this is one of the only places I've found that will ship Mora Nova augers to the USA. They aren't cheap; however, they're the cats meow out on the ice. There's a guy on E-Bay that sells 22mm drill adapters to fit the Mora Nova.

http://www.powerboats.lv/en/ishop/?search=Mora+nova

The head is identical to the Strikemaster Synthetic. The blades are 3 screw attachment (probably because the head is a FRN material).
On break-thru the blades do not catch like the Strikemaster Lazer.
The handle attachment is 22mm (.866") but a Strikemaster adapter 7/8" (.875") actually fits better.
Compare the cost to a Nils. And you can buy spare blades here in the USA.
Side by side Mora Nova vs. Nils the Nils looks like it came from Railroad Salvage.        Of course this is my opinion only.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2018, 12:20 PM »
The Mora Nova is the cats meow!  Best 6” ice auger on the market.  Actually 6 1/3” cutting hole size!  They are not the same blades or size as the traditional Lazer hand auger, nor will it catch bottom on break through like the Lazer hand augers.  Fast cutting and super smooth cutting all the way through flawless.  Leaves a fairly clean ice hole after unlike Nils.

The Strikemaster Lazer Synthetic barrows it’s cutting head from mora nova as to why it’s the same head and blades.  Strikemaster doesn’t make the blades, it’s all Mora of Sweden.

I currently own the Mora Nova Black version.   Nils 6” on comparison cuts only a 5 3/4” hole, same as Kdrill 6”.  The Mora Nova is light weight and will connect to any Strikemaster gas powerhead, no modification needed.  I run mines on the clam plate setup.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2018, 09:19 PM »
I agree with above posts that are in favor of the Mora Nova. I have both the 5" and 6" Mora Nova Black versions, but tend to use 6" more often since my fishing buddy uses a 6" K-Drill. I've owned a Lazer, Nils, K-Drill and Finbore; however, will probably never go back to using them since the Mora Nova cuts so quickly and smoothly, and as previously mentioned, leaves a clean hole.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2018, 10:01 AM »
I've owned a Lazer, Nils, K-Drill and Finbore; however, will probably never go back to using them since the Mora Nova cuts so quickly and smoothly, and as previously mentioned, leaves a clean hole.

It looks just like a Finbore to me. What's the diff?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2018, 10:12 AM »
and then there are these offerings from mora

https://moraice.fishing/products/expert-pro
https://moraice.fishing/products/arctic-pro
https://moraice.fishing/products/chrome
https://moraice.fishing/products/easy

© Rapala VMC Corporation
Distributor’s web site
http://www.rapala.com/
Normark Corporation
Postal address:
10395 Yellow Circle Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55343
USA

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2018, 02:19 PM »

It looks just like a Finbore to me. What's the diff?

I think it's just a lot of marketing and people wanting to believe that there is a lot of difference. My 6in lazer was bought used on Craigslist. So it's an older black one. It has a mora sticker on it. The blades are stamped with sweeden on it. It also doesn't catch when cutting holes. It takes 6in lazer blades.

With drill setups today, I can't see much need/change with the currently augers on the market.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2018, 07:01 PM »
The difference between a Mora Nova and Finbore/Lazer is in the cutting head. Blades between the two are not the same and have different part numbers.
I'm not saying that anyone should go out and buy this auger. All I'm saying is that it works for me, and after using a 6" Lazer for many years, I can honestly say that with the Nova, you get what you pay for.
A video below to show how smooth it cuts through the ice:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_iltmAYcK4k

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2018, 08:37 PM »
The difference between a Mora Nova and Finbore/Lazer is in the cutting head. Blades between the two are not the same and have different part numbers.
I'm not saying that anyone should go out and buy this auger. All I'm saying is that it works for me, and after using a 6" Lazer for many years, I can honestly say that with the Nova, you get what you pay for.
A video below to show how smooth it cuts through the ice:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_iltmAYcK4k

I get it.

It sounds like the lazer synthetic is basicly what these are. I'm not saying they aren't a nice auger.

I just don't see much need for a change with what we have and the "drill" setups with the augers we have. These drill setups have turned a simple $40 mora flat blade auger into a great light power drill. I can't see why many people would purchase something like this overseas then struggle to find blades or pay a large sum to get blades from overseas. It just looks like it would add expense.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Some may think it’s a gimmick but the Mora Nova is really that good.  Pretty much almost effortless just like the Nils when turning by hand due to the design of the cutting head and offset handle.  With the Lazer there is some torque resistance, and Lazer hand augers will catch at bottom before break through.  Drill auger users will know this first hand if you don’t brace for it or clear ice chips before break through bottom it may jerk you and cause an injury. This is big deal when your cutting up to 100 holes per outing and some days up to 300+ like me.

I’ve own my Strikemaster Lazer Synthetic (not the same as the Lazer hand auger) and used it for about 5yrs, and have been using battery electric drills on ice augers for also 5yrs, longer then most.  Couple years ago I was finally able to get my hands on a Mora Nova and sold off my Lazer synthetic. 

Fast cutting, effortless, lightweight, larger 6 1/3” hole, taller flighting, offset handle, bolt onto Strikemaster powerheads are all attributes of this auger.  The only thing the Lazer synthetic shares with the Mora Nova is it uses the same cutting head and blades minus all the features above.  The Lazer synthetic 6” is the lightest hand auger on the market, but has a very short flighting due to that.

Not only does the mora nova have a composite material cutting head it’s blades cut a larger hole 6 1/3” in diameter.  Taller flighting for better clearing of thicker ice conditions as well as lightweight over the Lazer hand auger.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2018, 09:44 AM »
My 5" lazer cuts that smooth/fast

Catchin' Fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:37 PM »
My 5" lazer cuts that smooth/fast

I think the lazer synthetic is only like 1lb lighter then the normal lazer. I'm all for cutting weight, but I wouldn't notice much difference in 1lb.

When I went from a 45lb gas jiffy model 30 to a 15lb nils clam plate setup I could tell....especially when pulling out the shack with the auger in it.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:30 PM »
I think the lazer synthetic is only like 1lb lighter then the normal lazer. I'm all for cutting weight, but I wouldn't notice much difference in 1lb.

When I went from a 45lb gas jiffy model 30 to a 15lb nils clam plate setup I could tell....especially when pulling out the shack with the auger in it.

The 6” Lazer synthetic is right around a tad over 4.6lbs, while the Lazer hand 6” comes in about 6.5lbs.  The mora nova comes in at around 5.5-5.8lbs if I remember correctly.  But has a much taller metal flighting then the Lazer hand and synthetic.

Depending on the type of ice angler you are weight can play a role or be consider an important factor when staying mobile and drilling lots of holes.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2018, 07:56 PM »
My “railroad salvage” NILS suits me just fine! I can open up holes from the day before with no issues at all, punch 300 holes in a day. No clam plate and cordless drill needed. Oh, by the way.... that’s a 8” nils hand screw!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.