Author Topic: Inline or spinning reel?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Inline or spinning reel?
« Reply #30 on: Aug 12, 2018, 04:23 PM »
I like inline reels for shallow pan fishing, spinning reels for the rest except a couple of baitcasters I use for Lakers.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:22 AM »
What spinners would you recommend?  I have a freefall I bought last year, but need a couple more reels and would like to get a ghost and a decent spinning reel.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Shimano Sienna, Shimano Sedona, Abu Garcia Cardinal SX. That’s what I use (sizes 500-1000) and they have all worked out pretty great. Strip them down, clean off all the reel grease with water and dawn dish soap, dry completely, then apply some Quantum HotSauce oil (no grease in the winter) to the bearings and gears. Your reels won’t freeze that way.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #33 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:34 PM »
What spinners would you recommend?  I have a freefall I bought last year, but need a couple more reels and would like to get a ghost and a decent spinning reel.

Lots of decent spinning reels. Abu Garcia, pfluger, cabelas, tica, okuma, shimano, diawa, Mitchell, even brands like HT, south bend, & celcius have a few decent ones. I'm not to picky on the brand. What I would recommend is test some reels and generally the reels with more ball bearings tend to be smoother reels. I have found some exceptions with the bigger name brands putting out quality reels with minimal bearings. Like RyanW said clean the cheap grease off them and use some good oil. A $3 bottle of Lucas reel oil can turn a good reel into a great reel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.