Author Topic: Backer line on tip ups  (Read 5075 times)

BTurano

Backer line on tip ups
« on: Dec 22, 2003, 06:11 PM »
Being very new to this sport I need a little help. I just purchased 3 tip ups. I am going to use ICE LINE on them. My question is do I fill the entire spool with mono or should I use a backing, and if so what should I use for backing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Barry Turano

Offline Mazey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stay On Top!
Re:Backer line on tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2003, 06:56 PM »
I use braided nylon line as backing on tipups then a 3-4' leader to the hook.  easier to handle than mono.  have heard that mono (also superlines) can cut your hands pretty easily when fighting bigger fish that take runs.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:20 PM »
Fill it with dacron and use what ever you want for a leader. Dacron will last a long time, and is easy to handle.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2003, 06:46 AM »
What Esox said
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2003, 07:13 AM »
Don't use mono. Use braided nylon or dacron. Mono is very hard to work with and it will loop off the spool and creat big problems!!! Use mono or flourocarbon leaders, but I wouldn't for the main line.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

bullheadbasher

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2003, 11:23 AM »
Mono sucks.  I have lost two nice northerns this year allready due to mono on the tip ups.  I will never use mono again.  As a matter of fact I was so pissed off I broke the tip up it was on.  I hate mono.  It should go to hell.  I will never ever use it again.  Damn mono.  I want to beat the crap out of mono.  Dont use it.  It aint worth it.  Braided.  

trapdaddy21

« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2003, 01:34 PM »
the previous posters are right, you definitely want to use a dacron or heavy braided line, i like to use 30-35# test. if you are fishing for walleyes you should put a 3 foot leader or gutline on, i typically go with a six # vanish or micro ice line. if you are fishing for northerns you may want to put a metal leader on, but i have caught dozens of northerns on 6# mono leaders.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:08 PM »
biggest northern i saw caught 40 icnhes  15 pounds was on 15 lb test 6 pound diameter flourocarbon just gotta play the fish more and yes u loose more fish but u also get more hook ups its like jigging panfish i use 2 lb test last year jigging with 2lb  caught a 23" 3 lb Pickeral thats pictured under my name
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2004, 12:58 AM »
I like U.S.Line company's ice fisherman tilt line. I have had it on my reels for too many years to count. Easy to handle and doesn't kink. I like the 36lb.but they offer other lbs. and 3 colors.The line is waxed too. 307  sells it and I think it's 6.79 for a 450 ft. spool. Well worth it.

acsacmboy

« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2004, 07:21 PM »
i like dacron. 45 pound. then a steel leader witha  good snap. i pre tie leaders so i can just snap one on and off for w/e im fishing for. really convinient

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
Re: Backer line on tip ups
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2004, 12:39 AM »
I bought my Polar and Windlass tipups (20 of them) on the cheap a couple of years ago. For once in my life I happened to be in the right place at the right time. Found them at a summer Wal-Mart tent sale for about $3.00 each.

Then, I started pricing what it would cost just to fill the rather large Polar Tipup reels. Yep, got more in string on many of them than I spent on the tipups. Does anyone have any ideas on inexpensive sources of Dacron or other backing material? I used nylon parachute cord on some. It works great for the most part, however can get soggy underwater, which causes problems when moving tipups in cold freezing weather.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.