Author Topic: Rosey Reds  (Read 3806 times)

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Rosey Reds
« on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:22 PM »
Anybody ever use Rosy Red minnows for bass?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rosey Reds
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:29 PM »
Aren't they a little small for bass? I got the yellow perch in my avatar on a rosey red. Wish I could get them more regularly here.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2007, 12:47 PM »
Aren't they a little small for bass? I got the yellow perch in my avatar on a rosey red. Wish I could get them more regularly here.
Yeah, I agree they are a little small for bass. I ususally use them for panfish. Your local pet shop should be able to order them for you if they do not have them already. They are also used as feeder fish in tropical fish tanks.
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2007, 12:51 PM »
Open a Bass Belly sometime during the winter (If it is legal where you fish) and see just how much, small food Bass rely on. We tried some Rosey Reds a couple weeks ago. The Crappies and Perch wanted nothing to do with them. They did hit Waxies readily, so I know they were hungry.
Caught a 20 inch Largemouth this weekend on a size 14 jig with a wax worm, on 1 POUND TEST LINE and an HT-UL-24". Bass will devour small offerings if they do not have to work hard for them.

Offline johnyp27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2007, 07:36 AM »
when i could get reds i used them for bass or anything that would eat them caught alot of nice bass on them and some big pickerel

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:08 PM »
when i could get reds i used them for bass or anything that would eat them caught alot of nice bass on them and some big pickerel

Reds are just a different color variation of a fathead minnow
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline johnyp27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2007, 06:59 AM »
yes i know that they are colored fatheads but we can't get them around here till trout fishing starts anymore the fished seemed to like the red color more or they could just see them better

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:03 PM »
shoot me a pm. If your local I can get you a bunch of reds.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Open a Bass Belly sometime during the winter (If it is legal where you fish) and see just how much, small food Bass rely on. We tried some Rosey Reds a couple weeks ago. The Crappies and Perch wanted nothing to do with them. They did hit Waxies readily, so I know they were hungry.
Caught a 20 inch Largemouth this weekend on a size 14 jig with a wax worm, on 1 POUND TEST LINE and an HT-UL-24". Bass will devour small offerings if they do not have to work hard for them.

I’m not denying that bass will not eat them or any other small bait just that I would not go specifically out of my way to purchase them as a target bass in the winter.  I have had just as much success with regular fatheads and shiners.
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.