The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: South Shore ice 1/21  (Read 792 times)

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
South Shore ice 1/21
« on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:31 PM »
After some scouting on Friday in Plymouth I wasn’t too hopeful about ice. I checked out a bog pond in Plympton my brother and I use to fish at growing up and found 3-3.5” of black ice with a fine coating of snow on top.

Fishing started off slow, then starting a few pecks jigging and had some marks on the flasher. I wound up catching three bluegill in a row and found out quickly it was loaded. I stopped counting but had to have caught 20+. Also caught one bass jigging.

The highlight of the day was seeing my Jaw Jacker pop after putting a big shiner and the rod was pumping. After a great fight I wound up with a beautiful bass. I’m kicking myself for not getting a picture or having my scale in my pocket (too far away). The bass had to be in the 3-4 pound range. Huge head, long and had beautiful colors.
Marking anything?

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: South Shore ice 1/21
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:21 PM »
What were you jigging with?  I was in marshfield on a little mill pond and had fish coming in on the flasher on a shad dart and wondering if they were bluegill, I figure if they were perch I would have got one

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:03 AM »
What were you jigging with?  I was in marshfield on a little mill pond and had fish coming in on the flasher on a shad dart and wondering if they were bluegill, I figure if they were perch I would have got one

A tiny jig head tipped with a piece of a dilly. They'd tap it a few times then finally they'd get hooked.

Too bad we have the warm up coming this week. I thought about calling out of work today to cash in one more time.
Marking anything?

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:02 AM »
A tiny jig head tipped with a piece of a dilly. They'd tap it a few times then finally they'd get hooked.

Too bad we have the warm up coming this week. I thought about calling out of work today to cash in one more time.
I took today off myself. I fished all weekend but I didn't want to risk two absolutely freezing cold windy days being my entire season. Today calls for 35 degrees and almost no wind and I'm going to enjoy every last second of it just in case it's the last time.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:39 AM »
I took today off myself. I fished all weekend but I didn't want to risk two absolutely freezing cold windy days being my entire season. Today calls for 35 degrees and almost no wind and I'm going to enjoy every last second of it just in case it's the last time.

I'm working from home today and hoping I get a chance to sneak away for an hour to do some jigging.
Marking anything?

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:34 AM »
I tried to move my schedule around to get down the cape this morning for trout but couldn’t do it, I fear this is it for us

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2024, 10:09 AM »
I tried to move my schedule around to get down the cape this morning for trout but couldn’t do it, I fear this is it for us
Rob… really expected u at pond x  yesterday! Maybe next year!!!

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2024, 11:50 AM »
Kicking myself!  Classic dont leave ice to find ice out of me yesterday!  I will say pond x was awfully crowded this morning for a monday based on the picture i saw

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2024, 05:00 PM »
Rob… I went by after work and there was nobody yesterday.. u sure the pic was pond x?? There were only 6 holes.. all had tell tale sign of either nightcrawler or power bait.    Today it was 44 … epic bite.. worked til 11 .. then iced 20 plus… adios cape ice!!!

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2024, 07:22 PM »
The one with the island is the one I was referring to

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.