The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: What a Difference a Day Makes - - Yesterday and Today  (Read 1336 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yesterday, my younger son and I fished Bog Pond in Savoy for a little while in the late morning.

The weather was awful - - 42 degrees and rainy - - and there was 2 to 3 inches of watery slush on top of about 5 inches of poor quality ice.

As a result, most of the holes we drilled/chopped had the toilet bowl effect - - with water from on top of the ice swirling down into the hole.

Without any flags on the tip ups or strikes on the jig, and absolutely miserable conditions, we picked up and called it a day after an hour.

Early this afternoon, I t fished solo at the trout pond just a couple miles down the road from where we went yesterday.

It was considerably colder (26 degrees) and starting to snow just as I arrived.  There was about 5 or 6 inches of ice, and, thankfully, no slush on top.

After about 15 or 20 minutes, I landed a 12" brookie on a dead stick.

Over the next hour or so, I had three flags on tip ups, but they all got away  - - and didn't have any luck jigging.

Toward the end, I caught another, smaller (10") brookie on the same dead stick just as I was picking up.

By this time, the snow had picked up to white out conditions. 

As I drove home, I skidded off the road and got stuck near the entrance to the Savoy State Forest Campgrounds.

Fortunately, there was a pay phone there (probably the last one in North America - - most likely due to the poor cell phone reception in the area) and I was able to call AAA for a tow.

Then, I had another stroke of even greater luck

A passing motorist was kind enough to stop and pull my car back onto the road (with something called "mule tape"), so I cancelled the tow truck.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: What a Difference a Day Makes - - Yesterday and Today
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:04 AM »
Glad someone got you unstuck!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:30 AM »
Thanks, me too!

Like Blanche Dubois, I have come to depend on the kindness of strangers.

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2024, 08:01 AM »

As a result, most of the holes we drilled/chopped had the toilet bowl effect - - with water from on top of the ice swirling down into the hole.

What impresses me (and not in a good way) is all the black material that flows into the hole with the draining water. That has to be air pollution that snow and rain picked up on the way down. That's what we are breathing.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2024, 12:42 PM »
Hey Scooper you mention that stuff in the water. Long time ago we fished a very mild day and had severe toilet bowls. All that black slime still stains my traps probably 20 yrs now.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2024, 03:34 PM »
nice report ;D

Offline PerchMan44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2024, 04:30 PM »
Definitely doesn’t sound like the best day, but glad to hear you weren’t stuck for too long

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2024, 07:35 PM »
Great to see that you caught a few and a positive result from someone with a helping hand to get you back on the road. Safe travels on your next trip

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2024, 11:49 AM »
Weekend before last I was open water fishing a small river/creek near home, but by Monday the ice was starting to form near shore.

With the temps we'll be having this week and next, we'll probably have some safe ice on many small waters.

More so if I head north....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.