New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bibs/ice suit  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Daddyrainbow

• IceShanty Rookie
Bibs/ice suit
« on: Oct 11, 2021, 06:57 PM »
I am looking at getting some bibs for ice fishing. I usually use snow pants from dicks. Looking for suggestions on something made for ice fishing. Is there something goof around the 100 dollar range?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bibs/ice suit
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2021, 07:17 PM »
Ice runner comes to mind, I don’t personally own a pair but they get pretty good reviews.
https://icerunnerhouses.com/float-bib/

Or if you don’t need them to float, these are even less $$$
https://icerunnerhouses.com/non-float-bibs/ but you might need to add a pair of gloves or something to get free shipping

I’d look for padded knees, breathability, water resistant. If you look for a sale , you can usually find the Clam Rise or Striker Trekker bibs for $100. My opinion, the trekkers are a little light in the insulation, I’d look for at least 100g

Offline Daddyrainbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2021, 07:49 PM »
Thank you for the response. Not sure about floating vs non floating. What do you think?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2021, 08:41 PM »
Thank you for the response. Not sure about floating vs non floating. What do you think?

I have a floating set just for the piece of mind. I go early and late ice when it can get a little sketchy, haven’t fallen in yet, but have seen it happen more than once. 

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2021, 11:33 PM »

Hey Just a little food for thought. As I am getting older and I have been in a time or two. I always wear gortex and love it. But it
is extra heavy. But it does keep you warm when you have to roll out and go to the truck and go home. The big secret is never panic.
But this year I discovered a really light weight bibs and coat. The brand is Graff float guard. I have not got to try them yet in cold
weather. But I do like how they fit. They are light weight. My wifey also sleeps better at night LOL Tight Lines Glen.

Offline Daddyrainbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2021, 12:00 PM »
Wondering if I just get the floating bibs and not the jacket. Will that be enough to keep me floating? Thinking of trying the icerunners. Price looks good

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Wondering if I just get the floating bibs and not the jacket. Will that be enough to keep me floating? Thinking of trying the icerunners. Price looks good

My recommendation always is get the floating bibs first ..as you will always wear the bibs ..most folks including myself usually just wear a hoodie and are fine most of the season ..I also wear a fleece vest and to me its a very important part of my layering system..forgot it once ..never again. I tested my Striker Ice Climate bibs w/o the insulated liner by itself and floated me just fine.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2021, 12:41 PM »

For the price difference ..floating is hard to beat ..they have breathability ..warmth ..and they float . I recommend a pair that has 100 g of insulation ..unless you tend to get cold  then higher is a consideration . You can get away with lower insulation if you live further south in the ice belt . But 100g is a great all weather option ..which can be balanced with going up or down with your base/thermal layer(s)

Really hard to beat these ...price ..warmth..availability .

https://icerunnerhouses.com/float-bib/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Daddyrainbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2021, 02:11 PM »
Thank you for the input Diehard. I am going to order those icehouse Bibs. Gotta see what size fits first. Thanks again.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2021, 02:15 PM »

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2021, 06:55 PM »
I bought the Frabill Bibs and coat about 4 yrs ago I've used it a LOT   absolutely outstanding   I got the medium wt  (they have 3)  A pair of long johns under the bib and I have never been cold   I've worn the coat in the boat as well as on the ice with great results   It's not a float suit which is the only thing that would make it better   You won't get it for $100 but you will not regret it  Lots of pockets and padded knees make it very comfortable      Spend the money to be comfortable on the ice and you'll have more fun

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2021, 10:45 AM »
I bought the Frabill Bibs and coat about 4 yrs ago I've used it a LOT   absolutely outstanding   I got the medium wt  (they have 3)  A pair of long johns under the bib and I have never been cold   I've worn the coat in the boat as well as on the ice with great results   It's not a float suit which is the only thing that would make it better   You won't get it for $100 but you will not regret it  Lots of pockets and padded knees make it very comfortable      Spend the money to be comfortable on the ice and you'll have more fun

I got the Frabill I3 coat/bibs 2 or 3 years ago and love it. I had to stop wearing thermals on my legs because I was getting too warm. I still wear thermals on my torso with a hoodie. I only wear the jacket if it's super windy, but it is really comfortable and has tons of pockets for stashing all sorts of stuff.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2021, 11:19 AM »
striker hardwater bibs have been fantastic for me, I always bring a jacket but haven't used it much since I got them, they maybe out of your price range but they are worth every penny I spent.

I wear base layer, under armor sweats and my bibs. I wear dress socks for my boots because my feet get hot.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Radneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2021, 09:03 PM »
I have the Eskimo Roughnecks bib and jacket.  I wear a mil spec base layer.  Roughneck is  extremely warm and has floatation.  I would definitely recommend.  If you’re a vet they give you a discount as well   20%

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2021, 05:07 AM »
Check the ones from our new sponsor...Wind Rider. Looks like a pretty good product and deal.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2021, 09:03 AM »
I just replaced my hard water bibs from more then 10 yrs ago with a set of predators. I got my money’s worth outa the hard waters wish they were priced the same back then they are now. Great product and for the price on the hard water or trekkers I wouldn’t chance the others, not saying they are bad just my opinion. My predator bibs were 180 and the hard waters were 140-150 last year. Cheap compared to when I bout my first set at over 500 for coat and bibs.
I do still use the old coat but I may need to replace that this year.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2021, 02:10 PM »
Don't forget the Trekkers don't have a lot of insulation, but they are 600D as opposed to most others at 300D.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2021, 06:00 AM »
 I bought a climate jacket with a pair of lake effect pants second year they came out its super warm for most times they are  to warm , 2 years ago I purchased a guardian suit now my other suit is parked in the closet, I mostly fish in a shack so it really is a better fit for me , it’s only been tested to -9* , the trekker replaced the guardian
 Sure beats sitting out in carharts with a rain suit over them to hold the heat in , well that was 40+ years ago 😵‍💫
  Lots of options out there these day’s

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.