The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: season over for me  (Read 1421 times)

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
season over for me
« on: Mar 15, 2021, 05:57 AM »
Well folks, fished Hathaway Saturday morning, glad the wind died down form Friday night.
30 holes and managed 6 dink yellows all morning with my co-worker. Blue skies and ice getting sketchy, like walking on the moon.
We left just before noon, he went home, I went & grabbed lunch, then onto Fairfield pond.
Was a couple guys out there when I arrived in a pop up. I went to the sough side drop off and fished the entire ledge from near shore 25FOW to the bottom 35FOW, only managed a single 8" largemouth the entire afternoon!
Back down the hole it went, packed it all up and off the ice by 3:30PM.
Ice at Fairfield looks good on the surface, smooth with a little bit of snow dusting.
6" of white ice over 5" of black ice, drilling thru it was like butter, it's very soft.
Edge at beach is gone but with this morning's deep freeze it's probably locked up again.

Called it a season and put up my gear Sunday morning.

Not the best ending to a season for me by far...but glad I stowed everything with the way the wind blew Sunday no way was I going back out.

Here's to next hardwater season, hope it's better then this one was!!!

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: season over for me
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2021, 06:40 AM »
I was out Saturday in the same area, more towards the Georgia shore side. Same results as you...drilled 8 holes over 3 hours and got 6 small perch. Not sure what happened to the ice surface, looks like it broke up the top 4 inches or so then refroze as the wind was howling . Hope to get out a few more times by mid week. Like you I have had better years on the ice.

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2021, 12:06 PM »
I知 with you mudchuck....with more warm temps this weekend I知 done. Learned a ton this season and even tried out some late evening fishing. Was a fun year but not one for the record books for me at least.

Be safe my fellow anglers who are still gonna be hitting the ice. Things are gonna go quick!!
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2021, 01:00 PM »
Same here, ice is going to go quick. Looking forward to spring walleyes.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2021, 01:33 PM »
Same here, ice is going to go quick. Looking forward to spring walleyes.

I hear ya there. I知 excited for the walleye run. It値l be here soon.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2021, 05:03 AM »
You must be talking the walleye run in the river. I haven稚 fished them during the spring run in the river before. All new to me. Sounds like a great adventure though and I知 always up for an adventure. I only moved to St. Albans area a few years ago from central vt and look forward to yrs of new fishing adventures. Tight lines my friends

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.