The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Today was the Worst Day for Ice Fishing . . .  (Read 1309 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Today was the Worst Day for Ice Fishing . . .
« on: Mar 13, 2021, 06:36 PM »
I've had on Fish Pond (a/k/a Windsor Lake) in North Adams this season.

On the plus side, it was a beautiful day, and I did get a chance to use my ice skates for the first time this season.

The weather was blue bird skies and cold - - 27 degrees when I arrived at 9:30 AM, slowly creeping up to 37 (according to my car thermometer) around 3 PM - - although it must have been cooler on the Pond itself, since there was no water on the surface of the ice and my holes slowly froze over - - and then dropping down again when I left around 4:30 PM.

The surface of the ice was nice and hard and fairly smooth (albeit "knobbly" in spots), but once you chopped through the top, there was about 9 or 10 inches of "mealy" ice underneath.

As for the fishing itself, it was painfully slow.  I narrowly managed to elude a skunking, with one good-sized sunfish on a jig and one smallish pickerel on a tip up, but I think it was the first time I've fished there this season that I didn't catch at least one rainbow.
It wasn't just slow for me.  I heard two guys on the far end of the Pond say they hadn't got a hit all day.  Another group of seven (four guys and three kids) near me caught one smallish pickerel on a tip up the whole time that I was there.

The only folks who seemed to have any luck were a father and his five year old son, who landed eight or nine good-sized perch on tip ups, although (ironically) they were hoping for a trout.

After I left the Pond, I made a quick trip to try fishing a local stream that feeds the North Hoosic, but, as I feared, the water proved to be high and cold, and I didn't see hide nor hair (fin nor scale?) of any fish.

However, on my way back to the parking lot, I saw my first fly fishers of spring - - a youngish couple from the Boston area who were heading down to the river to give it a go as I headed home.  We chatted for a few minutes, and I wished them luck before heading to my car and driving home.

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It ain’t over till it’s over
Re: Today was the Worst Day for Ice Fishing . . .
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2021, 07:18 PM »
Oh man sounds like the trout from last year are either somewhere in the deep section or they got fished out. I’ve consistently seen over 5 people or groups on the lake a day it’s wild. Let’s hope just a bad day.

How many days till the ice is gone there you think?
FLAGGGG!!!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2021, 08:23 PM »
How many days till the ice is gone there you think?

I'm hoping we can eke out one more weekend on the "low elevation" ponds (Pontoosuc/Onota/Cheshire/Fish Pond), and then a couple more on the higher elevation ones (Plainfield/Burnett's/Bog/North).

Fingers crossed!

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It ain’t over till it’s over
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2021, 08:56 PM »
I'm hoping we can eke out one more weekend on the "low elevation" ponds (Pontoosuc/Onota/Cheshire/Fish Pond), and then a couple more on the higher elevation ones (Plainfield/Burnett's/Bog/North).

Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed is right! I think Cheshire will be the first to really go edge wise
FLAGGGG!!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2021, 09:07 PM »
Pond 1 Cheshire today. 2½-3" clear , 4-5" crap white ice . Edge still ok at the ramp area but some hazard spots too.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2021, 08:44 AM »
Too shallow and too much ice there Jim.  That spot could see a complete kill off if we had a winter cold enough.  Not surprised at all the fishing was slow.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2021, 04:45 PM »
Too shallow and too much ice there Jim.  That spot could see a complete kill off if we had a winter cold enough.  Not surprised at all the fishing was slow.

Are you referring to Cheshire or Fish Pond? 

Cheshire only averages about 8 feet deep, although there's a couple spots that get up to 12 feet deep.

However, believe it or not, even though it is fairly small in terms of surface area, Fish Pond is comparatively deep (up to 22 feet).

Admittedly, I have been focusing on the relatively shallow (5 to 8 feet) sections because that's where the rainbows have been (at least by and large) this season.

Interestingly, the guy and his son who were targeting trout but landing perch on their tip ups were fishing in 12 to 14 feet of water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2021, 07:39 PM »
I mixed up Fish Pond and the place we went to in North Adams!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2021, 07:42 PM »
Gotcha.  Yes, Bog Pond is awfully shallow, and my recent outing on it (a week or so ago) did suggest there may have been a die off due to the ice cover.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.