Author Topic: USE CAUTION!! Lost ice  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Deepwaters

• IceShanty Rookie
USE CAUTION!! Lost ice
« on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:09 PM »
Fellow shanty members be very careful the next couple days. Had 3 people go in today on pachaug, including my buddy. We were fishing on a solid 6-7” all day. Fishing sucked. A group of 2 adults and a kid were out towards the main lake. The adults both went in. The first guy broke through, the second guy while picking up their stuff to leave. My buddy was running over to help the 2nd dude and went in himself.  Lots of soft very sketchy spots off of shore. Everyone please be cautious. I’ve never seen anyone fall through in a serious matter, let alone several people in one day. I’ll have to catch my trophy on the rod and reel this spring  :(

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: USE CAUTION!! Lost ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:45 PM »
Thank you for posting.  I drove by a little before 5 this afternoon and saw you guys back at the trucks.  The kid that was out fishing with them didn’t look to be much older than 6 or 7.  That had to be terrifying for him to witness.  I’m so glad everyone made it back to shore safely.

Now that you’ve posted this I am calling it quits, not even going to think about it anymore.  I was considering checking it out tomorrow for one last trip but will not.  Sled and equipment getting put away tonight.  I’m done!   

There is a honeydew list on the fridge that’s been up since October.  Going to try and cut that list in half over the next few weeks instead!

Offline Deepwaters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:49 PM »
Rooster,

Yep. That was them. I was set up on shore, plenty of ice. The group was out in the main lake. It was horrific watching all of that go down. I’m ready for bed

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:09 PM »
Glad everyone is OK.  Ice thickness isn't relevant late season at all.  Ice integrity is king.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2021, 06:38 AM »
Black ice this time of year if it's rotten is significantly more dangerous than gray or white ice that reflects the sun more.  There was a trip a few years back we knew the ice was going to get bad so we spud back to the launch every hour and a half...by 330 I couldn't make it across the black ice to the launch. It was all honey combed.  We had to follow paths of gray ice to someone's yard and get off that way.  Black ice with lots of bubbles in it will become suspect in the coming weeks.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2021, 06:49 AM »
What lowaccord describes can happen at night too. Been on a lake at night several times when the ice started to go while we stood on it. We were lucky to get off safely on one occasion, the next morning the lake was wide open. If you see fog this time of year get off the lake.

I'm worried that this weekend is going to see a number of people through the ice. The weather is just right to make the ice look fine in the morning, then the sun eats it up and by afternoon it's big trouble. Be careful if you go.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2021, 06:56 AM »
What's worse, is there are lots of newbies out there this year. I hate to say it but I think we will be seeing this situation replay itself quite a bit in the coming weeks.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2021, 09:25 AM »
Yup there are a lot of new folks to the sport out there.  Funny thing is 45 mins north of me in Kent I'm driving a truck on the ice.  Down in CT people are going through. 

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2021, 09:28 AM »
Only way I'm going out after this weekend is if I bring a boat with me , I don't think the weather will be kind to our ice around here,  My Grandfather and his friends used to bring wood planks with them and make a path all the way to where they were fishing- I'm not that dedicated. Stay safe out there!  ;D

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2021, 01:39 PM »
Yup, I'll be fishing for probably another month.  Just gotta be willing to travel.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2021, 02:00 PM »
Yup, I'll be fishing for probably another month.  Just gotta be willing to travel.

Same here, possibly until the last day of April.

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2021, 04:31 PM »
Did anyone hear if someone else went in on Pachaug today?  I drove by this morning and saw nobody on the ice.  I drove by again this afternoon and saw at least one, maybe 2 tipups with the flags up.  This was close to shore by SE point off RT165.  I’m hoping that know body went in again but want to ask.

Did the guys who went in yesterday have to maybe leave gear behind?

Offline Deepwaters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2021, 08:32 PM »
Did anyone hear if someone else went in on Pachaug today?  I drove by this morning and saw nobody on the ice.  I drove by again this afternoon and saw at least one, maybe 2 tipups with the flags up.  This was close to shore by SE point off RT165.  I’m hoping that know body went in again but want to ask.

Did the guys who went in yesterday have to maybe leave gear behind?

Offline Deepwaters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2021, 08:33 PM »
The group that went in on Friday lost some gear. A couple tip ups set up and a bag full of them as well

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:36 AM »
I guess ponds in this state won't be losing ice today. Only 2 degrees at my house, wind blowing like a jet engine.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:04 AM »
I guess ponds in this state won't be losing ice today. Only 2 degrees at my house, wind blowing like a jet engine.

Probably made some ice last night and will make a little more tonight
Go big or go home

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:17 AM »

Probably made some ice last night and will make a little more tonight

Agreed

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2021, 01:20 PM »
10" on Congomond Sunday.  I think we're OK for a bit.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2021, 01:42 PM »
I was on 18-19'' up in the Berkshires yesterday.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:59 PM »
I was on 18-19'' up in the Berkshires yesterday.
10" on Congomond Sunday.  I think we're OK for a bit.

Nice, good to hear about those lakes.

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2021, 05:49 PM »
I’m now debating taking the gear out of storage for one more trip this weekend and head to the NW Hills.  There are a few spots in Eastern CT that still have some ice but I’m not going to test them when I’ve got my kid out there.  I did see a brave soul out fishing in Lebanon after the rain yesterday.

For Sat I’m debating Winchester, Park, and Dog.  My young son will be with me so we’d be looking for quantity not quality.  I’ve fished all those spots in the past but none of them in the past 10yrs.  I’d like to ask the Shanty community which of these 3 they’d recommend, or even a different spot, for action.  I would love to get him into a lot of action one more time this season...Thanks!

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:50 PM »
My gear is still in the back of my Subaru. I’d love to get one more evening chasing walleye here in CT. Game time decision I guess.

-Eric

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:59 PM »
My gear is still in the back of my Subaru. I’d love to get one more evening chasing walleye here in CT. Game time decision I guess.

-Eric

I'd go tomorrow night. 

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:05 PM »
This was a slow Walleye season for us.  Good year for a lot of LMB though.  I’m just looking to get my son out for one last trip but haven’t decided where to head.  I’m done with Walters until open water.  Just looking for lots of flags for this last trip.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:13 PM »
I'm thinking of heading somewhere NW Thursday- if I do I'll let you know how I make out. I would be happy with some perch myself .

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2021, 05:56 AM »
Thank you Robert and good luck!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:40 AM »
Woke up this morning and thought wow, it's cold again. Making ice! Maybe chase walter tonight. Then I remembered the lake is closed.  >:(  Argh!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:46 AM »
Woke up this morning and thought wow, it's cold again. Making ice! Maybe chase walter tonight. Then I remembered the lake is closed.  >:(  Argh!

Come to the lake with bigger eyes. Longer ride for you but I think it's worth it. 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2021, 07:02 AM »
I would like to Jon, gotta get my butt over there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2021, 07:14 AM »
Green light alewive school mania...or just a bored guy staring at livescope one of the two will happen!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.