The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perch eggs  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch eggs
« on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:54 AM »
I have some locals that always want me to bring them a batch of Perch. They like the fillets,,  but what  they are really after is the roe.
They cook up the eggs and eat them.

I can't say as its the most appetizing thing  I've ever heard of.  Have any of you tried it ?    How did you cook them ?   

Sounds  kind of gross, but ill try anything once !

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Perch eggs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:10 AM »
Sometimes it seems like the roe sacks are almost bigger than the filets.  I can only imagine the roe sacks are much more fishy tasting but I'm interested to hear what everyone says...

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:18 AM »
I do them once in a while. They are strong fishy tasting, but I like them. I coat in seasoned flour, then an egg wash followed with a coating of Italian bread crumbs just like I do my fillets. Deep fry to a golden brown. The sandy texture may take some getting used to.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2021, 08:24 AM »
Always wanted to try it.  I'd imagine make sure if you bread and fry to let cool or that will be like biting perch egg lava inside the breading.  I like to try stuff like this but have not gotten the will to try it out.  I'll do it this season and report back.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2021, 08:51 AM »
They're OK once in a while for me, But others love them. MumbleSEED nailed it. It's worse than biting a hot jalapeno popper fresh cooked, then your wife laughs and says "I told you those things were disgusting, but no you didn't listen to me". By then they are cooled and I'm shoveling them in. ;D

Offline shaved ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:28 AM »
I will gladly trade all the perch eggs I have for all the perch fillets you have  :) :) :)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:33 AM »
been eating them all my life.  they like to splatter when cooked. to tame this down, parboil them a tad.  then batter n fry.  yes, they have a fishy egg taste.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline davef2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2021, 01:32 PM »
I really like perch eggs and used to eat them quite a bit.  That all ended one day when my wife fried up some pike eggs I caught thru the ice.  I wasn't in the kitchen at the time but she said they exploded in the open skillet and there were still some eggs stuck on the kitchen ceiling when we moved from that house 10 years later.

I actually liked bluegill eggs even better than perch but it's been so long I forget what they taste like.

Try them.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2021, 01:36 PM »
Cornbread summarized this nicely several years ago....

Tonight I was cleaning some perch my GF and I caught earlier in the day and as I was cleaning them I noticed that the way I clean perch means their roe sacks come out fully intact.

“Those kind of look tasty” I said to myself thinking back to salmon roe I have eaten in the past. “I wonder if they are edible?” So I sat down and Googled perch roe recipes and sure enough people said they are good but are “an acquired taste”. I am OK with fishy taste, and I have a really, really, really strong stomach. I can keep pretty much anything down, including bear steak where the bear has been eating fish, which most people can’t even touch without gagging.

So I figured I was a pretty good candidate for acquiring the taste for my new found delicacy. So from what I read they are best deep fried fresh until fully cooked all the way through. So I figured “why not? I’ll toss a few in a pot of hot oil and let them fry while I clean the others and then try them”.

I figured I would try four since they are small, and really what kind of man can’t bolt down four such tiny morsels even if they end up not tasting good, right?

I let them fry for a good long time until they were a deep golden brown. I took the first one out and sliced it in half. The consistency inside looked a bit like cooked pork sausage where the pork is finely ground. I blew on it a little, sniffed it and then popped it in my mouth.

Here were my initial thoughts:

Oh my!.....Oh yes!........I do believe……..yes, I’m positive…….this tastes exactly like the battalion bathrooms smelled after our entire platoon hit them after 60 days in the field during the Gulf War……only fishier.

Well I hate waste so I now was faced with 3.5 more of what can only be described as the culinary equivalent of a swift kick to nuts. Something so foul, it is actually painful to eat.

“I know” I thought “I’ll cover it in good Dijon mustard, that will hide the taste”. I quickly discovered two things. “A”, no it won’t, and “B”, it didn’t. It simply tasted like freeze dried exhaust fumes with Dijon mustard on them. Mmmmmmm Yummy!

Only three more to go.

The next one I tried putting a bunch of salt and pepper on because they kind of look like Chinese wontons so maybe I could fool my taste buds in to thinking they were salt and pepper wontons. Apparently my taste buds don’t care what a deep fried fish turd looks like; they still taste it as a salt and peppery fried fish turd.

Two more to go.

Well maybe if I roll this one in spicy Chinese mustard it will over power my taste buds and I won’t taste the liquid fish butt of the roe? This unexpectedly sort of worked, but I had to use so much hot mustard I was banging the table and crying “sweet love of petunias that stings” as my nose hairs fell out on the table. After the initial blast of mustard crying hotness….yep there it was……the unmistakable taste of that weapon of mass destruction known as perch roe.

One to go.

“How can anything so small, taste so awful?” I thought to myself as I stared down the final piece of fish death waiting quietly on my plate. “I mean those people on the internet who said it was tasty must have liked it……….oh wait”. And then it hit me, those people were probably old Norwegians.

You see I am Norwegian and I come from a background where at Christmas every year when I was little my older relatives would encourage me to “have just a little piece of Lutefisk” because they were sure “I would like it”. Every year, it was the exact same, it still tasted like somebody threw up in my mouth for me, then had me eat it, after they had, had fish earlier that day. I came to realize that my older relatives had gone through something I refer to affectionately as “Tastebudelpause” this is where you become so old that your taste buds no longer work at all. They have simply given up and died ahead of time and are just waiting for the rest of you to follow suit. This is the only possible explanation for how they can eat and enjoy Lutefisk. It must have been these same elderly Norwegians who had posted those perch roe recipes on the internet. Either that or it was somebody playing a really cruel joke on the rest of the internet world.

It is still there, looking at me, defying me to eat it. My stomach is sweating internally in silent encouragement for me to simply toss it in the garbage. No, I will not sink so low, I cooked it, I will eat it!

You know in the fishing regulations where it says “only inedible portions of game fish may be used for bait” or something along those lines? People are always saying “which parts are the inedible portions?”. I’m here to tell you folks, it is the roe of perch they are talking about, only it is so horrible tasting they cannot bring themselves to print those words or people will know they actually tried it once.

It is still there.

“OK Marine!” I say to myself “Time for you to just woof it down boot camp style and get this behind you”. So I do “Oh sweet spawn of all things dark and hideous” I think as the awful, thick taste of liquid fish butt once again passes over my taste buds and in to my stomach, which at this point thinks it has done something terribly wrong and is being punished for it. I try and assure it that no, it has done nothing wrong, because to deserve this level of punishment it would have had to have committed war crimes or something equally awful, no, this is simply a culinary trial gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Then mercifully it is all over, the final one has been consumed. I feel a sense of accomplishment; I too have eaten perch roe!!!! I feel like I should call someone and tell them I have done such an amazing thing, but no, I have a better idea……

………I am off to post a five star review on some of those perch roe recipes so others can enjoy them too ;)

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2021, 01:45 PM »
Lol...that boy can write!  Great post

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2021, 02:42 PM »
HYSTERICAL POST!!!  Thank you very much for sharing!

Offline jimmyv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2021, 05:45 AM »
Great way to start my morning !! Awesome  ;D
 :clap:

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2021, 06:17 AM »
My brother eats them, Some friends of mine love eating them. Me , They are just plain nasty. The feral cats around my house won't eat them.  Definately an aquired taste

Offline jignSlabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2021, 03:48 PM »
They’re not too bad but my dog likes them more than I do - cooked or raw 😄

Offline FISHHUNTER80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GET THE GAFF!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2021, 02:20 PM »
Missoula took the words out of my mouth. I tried breading and frying but they were still like raw texture. I've been told bluegill eggs are better even by the people who love perch eggs. I thought I would like them because I love caviar and make my own from pike eggs regularly. It's just 2 different worlds.

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2021, 05:43 PM »
Everyone should try them once.  I did, won't again.

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:47 PM »
I’m right there with you gallitzinice. I can say I ate them once. Don’t have to do it again.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:51 PM »
My beloved dog RIP loved perch eggs. He would stand by my side as I cleaned up perch.
Big ole yellow lab, damn i miss that dog.

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2021, 09:58 AM »
I fished up in Vermont this weekend. As we were cleaning our perch some guys asked if we were going to eat the roe...we were not feeling adverturous enough and gladly gave it to them!

Offline paramedicjake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:44 PM »
Best recipe I have found for perch eggs
1 small chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup self rising flour
1 1/2 cups self rising cornmeal
6 cups vegetable oil - or as needed for frying
1 cup buttermilk
1 lightly beaten chicken egg
Mix all together and deep fry , throw perch eggs in the garden and enjoy hush puppies

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:04 PM »
I've often scrambled them in with eggs for breakfast. Another thing I've done with perch eggs is to make caviar with them. Any type of fish roe can be made into caviar and perch eggs work as well as any other type of roe. There are numerous recipes available online for making caviar. It's fairly simple and requires no cooking. It's a very salty snack. Crackers anyone.  :tipup: :tipup: :) :tipup: :tipup:
ttt

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:53 AM »
I caught a few nice perch yesterday. Told the Mrs about the caviar and that it's not really hard to make at all. She said "no, just, no.". Personally, I never considered myself the caviar type. Besides, whenever I remove the eggs from the perch all I want is to get the nasty things out of my hands. I thought about eating them once... then the thought was gone and I tossed it in the trash with the rest of the guts.  :sick:  But that's just me, I'm like that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.