Author Topic: Wethersfield Cove  (Read 5912 times)

Offline roofman

• IceShanty Rookie
Wethersfield Cove
« on: Jan 29, 2021, 02:17 PM »
I went out this am to check the ice.Drilled a couple holes to the left of the boat launch.Close to the shore was a strong 5 and about 15 yards out 4".I guess tomorrow will be safe.Please check the ice yourself if you are going there ,as i did not venture  further towards the middle.Good luck!

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wethersfield Cove
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:49 PM »
Just what I wanted to hear. I was planning on going Sunday and checking it out but now I'm definitely going. Favorite place to fish
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Pretty much 5"all the way across the cove

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Jonesie925

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2021, 12:02 PM »
Pretty much 5"all the way across the cove

Catch anything?

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2021, 01:40 PM »
It was much slower than usual but ended up with a couple fat pickerel and a handful of crappie and perch. Definitely a chilly one but always nice to be on the cove.  Fish fry tonight!

-Ryan-

Offline Jonesie925

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2021, 02:46 PM »
It was much slower than usual but ended up with a couple fat pickerel and a handful of crappie and perch. Definitely a chilly one but always nice to be on the cove.  Fish fry tonight!

Nice! I was thinking about heading there ... went to Crystal and got the skunk.....

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2021, 04:41 PM »
I was surprised how many families were out even with the cold. Another group was set up in my usual spot but that's what happens when you drink the night before and can't wake up early enough lol. Great to see kids on the ice though. Everyone looked like they had a good time

-Ryan-

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2021, 06:34 PM »
The lake that I was on also had a lot of young kids. Chasing flags, keeps them warm I guess.

Offline Jonesie925

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Went out Saturday for a couple hours in the morning. Jigged up some Yellow and White Perch. Got a couple 2 lb ish Bass on tipups... good times! It was getting a little slushie when I left around noon. That was the first time I’ve been ice fishing there...won’t be the last!

:tipup: :tipup:

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:05 AM »
Sunday was a bit slow.

Few nice crappie and perch.

Most groups dragged across to other side of cove. Not a lot of people fishing near beach. Ice was good with some spots of slush.

I was kind of disappointed with all the trash on the ice. Plastic cutlery, beer caps, containers, food garbage.

Someone who smokes Marlboro lights really needs to take their butts with them, stop being a dirt bag and dispose of them properly.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Fresh Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:23 AM »
"Someone who smokes Marlboro lights really needs to take their butts with them, stop being a dirt bag and dispose of them properly."

One  of my biggest complaints,  and the trash is another reason I try and fish less populated places.

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Fished the Cove Saturday myself with a group. Ended up with some decent LMB and a handful of nice Perch and Crappie. Also got a big Bowfin!
Definitely got slushy by the end of the day but with the temps dropping this week it should be good to go for awhile.

"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline Jonesie925

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2021, 12:49 PM »
Nice Bowfin!! Those are fun to catch!

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2021, 01:19 PM »
Nice.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2021, 04:30 PM »
Where do you guys get live bait near the Cove?  Any bait shop open at 6 a.m. nearby?  Seems like getting it the night before is the only option over there.

Offline Ranger275

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2021, 04:43 PM »
Not much near the cove, I usually grab it the night before at a scuba diving shop in Wallingford that sells minnows and suckers year round.

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2021, 06:18 PM »
Cabelas

Offline roofman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2021, 06:29 PM »
Cabelas was out of bait for a week now.Your closest spot would be in Marlborough FRANKS Baitshop.It is 15 mins away from the cove.

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2021, 06:30 PM »
You need to start trapping your own bait before the season never have a problem when you you have dozens ready to go

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2021, 02:10 PM »
Is it possible to park at/access the ice from the yacht club? I’ve fished open water on my kayak from the boat launch and know it should be easy to get on the ice from there, but curious about other access points.

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2021, 02:23 PM »
I have parked at the DMV parking lot and just walk down the hill.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2021, 02:57 PM »
Honestly. You can drag from the beach to the other side in about 6 minutes. Maybe 10 if there is snow.

But yes, you can park in DMV and walk down that way
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Billboy66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2021, 11:41 AM »
fishing factory middletown for bait...

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:56 AM »
You need to start trapping your own bait before the season never have a problem when you you have dozens ready to go

Do you get shiners? I've tried without much luck for shiners, mummies are easy and they catch but I can never seem to get shiners in the trap. I've gotten eels before I wonder if pike would slurp those down.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:12 AM »
Joined most of the state on the Cove yesterday and had a few bites, which made for a great morning. Lots of headlamps shining around before first light. Appreciate all the tips you veterans have given me over the past year to help me learn the sport. Hoping to get to the point where my wife and little kids will come out with me to turn it into a tailgate atmosphere, and there’s less stressing about actually pulling up fish. Hoping for a pike and some crappie before the season winds down.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:25 AM »
We also hit the cove yesterday also, we got there around 8ish, found a spot to set up in. We did well also with perch and bass. Was it us or did fish seem a little faded in there color schemes, they seemed somewhat different from what we normally get. Especially the bass, could have been my eyes but something wasn’t quite right with some of the fish we caught. Anyways always love that country air wafting thru once in a while from the treatment plant lol. But definitely a good outing with friends and family.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:39 AM »
Sounds like a cove in Derby. 200yds from Derby poo plant and about 500yds from Shelton. Yummy.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:59 AM »
Anyways always love that country air wafting thru once in a while from the treatment plant lol.
That was definitely a repeated topic of discussion!

Offline BobB257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2021, 11:36 AM »
Seeing all the ducks swimming and dabbling in the "Pond" at that plant has had an effect on my cooking of CT River Ducks for darn sure!!!!
Take a kid fishing, you just might learn a thing or two.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:34 AM »
Went out last night to try and catch some crappie and cats after dark. Unfortunately watched multiple people fall in by the channel. First was a guy walking with his young daughter. She didn't fall in luckily. He got out pretty quick. Then 2 people fishing near tried to help recover his sled and one of them ended up falling in as well. Luckily they had a short rope already tied to each other so were able to get themselves and all the gear out quickly. Pretty scary stuff to watch. Everywhere else was able 5"of black ice with 3"of junk on top. Didn't see anybody else out using a spud bar except my group. Glad they made it out safe but definitely makes you double check all your safety equipment

-Ryan-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.