Author Topic: Bantam ice  (Read 14659 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Bantom ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2021, 04:10 PM »
Half the country away, but in the same boat. We keep getting marginally fishable ice on smaller ponds, then a warmup that destroys the edges, so it's unfishable until the next colder spell. It's better than last year, but still frustrating as heck 🙄

For what its worth...for most of us in CT solid ice that will be available all season is a 1-2hr drive to Mass. 

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:57 PM »
For what its worth...for most of us in CT solid ice that will be available all season is a 1-2hr drive to Mass.
Ice is really (reeeeallly) hit or miss here, but this is getting into the "prime" of ice season locally. Jan15th-Feb10th or so is about our best shot at good ice most winters around here.

I shouldn't really be complaining, since it's still fairly early, but it gets annoying having on and off ice right at the edges of fishable.

Offline ChrisO81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:58 AM »
Candlewood is starting to lock up.  Picture from yesterday.

Offline ChrisO81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:00 PM »
I would assume based on my past years experience that once candlewood has full skim ice Bantam is fish able now.  But for how long.......

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:22 PM »
Fished at Winchester today, plenty of ice. Drove by Burr Pond, Park Pond, and Stillwater. People fishing on all of them. Stopped at Bantam. Walked out 100 yards from Sandy Beach. Drilled through 4 " of ice. Edges around Point Folly only 1" to 2" of black ice. South Bay had 4" of ice close to shore but there is some iffy broken and refrozen ice that I wouldn't walk on because I was alone. The whole lake is locked up if it stays cold there might be a chance for the weekend. I'm going to try Sandy Beach Friday but don't consider that a recommendation.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:06 PM »
I was out on the South Bay today off Morris town ramp. Drilled around 20 holes out to about 200 yds and ice was 3” to 2 1/2”. A lot of broken and refrozen clear ice, looked sketchy spudding out but was solid and stable. I never felt uncomfortable. Fishing on the other hand wasn’t so great but it felt good to be out on the ice this year.

Offline John Pavao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2021, 10:25 AM »
bantam is not safe- friend drove by this morning,
rain is killing base ice.

Offline Hammertime-IceCube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Danbury Fish & Game Association
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:12 PM »
I would assume based on my past years experience that once candlewood has full skim ice Bantam is fish able now.  But for how long.......
Thanks Chris for your posts. Candlewood was getting close until Friday warm and then killer rain it could be wide open Today. So were some local ponds.  Next week looks very cold maybe a vortex to lock stuff up.

Offline ChrisO81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2021, 09:01 AM »
The spelling of Bantam on this post is killing me.  But ill be up on Bantam next Saturday and Sunday with some friends grilling sausage and drink beer.  Oh, and fishing for pike also, if anyone wants to meet up the more the merrier.  Ill shoot you guys an ice report as well, but id say by the weekend the report will be pretty obvious.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:10 PM »
The spelling of Bantam on this post is killing me.
;D
A buddy and I are trying to find a spot next weekend so I’ll keep an eye out for your Bantam ice report. If we make it out there, will come say hi for sure.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:57 AM »
When guys refer to the “beverlys” on Bantam...does that mean the access just north of the large red building along the SW shore  ???

Offline tjb22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2021, 10:11 AM »
Beverly's was the night club back in the day which is now the state boat launch in South Bay.

Offline eddied

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:13 PM »
1/20/2021 bantom ice 2 1/2 to 3 in.  black ice   south bay  5 groups out   slow day for everyone

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Fished Bantam yesterday with a buddy. There were several groups out on South Bay (but didn't look like a zoo, the wind probably deterred people). I set up on the west side of Folly from 1ish til dark. 1 pike about 26" and wasn't able to get into anything on the jig. Ice varied between 3.5" to 5+" depending on depth. Slick black ice.  :tipup:

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bantam ice
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2021, 10:53 AM »
Thanks for the report GWICT. I’m hoping to get up to the north end tomorrow or Tuesday.

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2021, 11:06 AM »
Was out on Bantam yesterday as well. We ended up with 3 pike. One decent one.
Wind was cranking!!!
We had a pretty consistent 5”
Good day!

"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2021, 02:34 PM »
nice

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:51 PM »
Can anyone provide an ice report for North Bay?

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:10 PM »
Many people fishing in North Bay today. I was on the east shore. The yellow perch had me running. I had 4 inches of good black ice so North Bay should have at least that probably closer to 6. Ice boats were running so the lake must be locked up pretty well.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:26 PM »
Thanks

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 26, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Fished several locations yesterday and today. Point Folly Monday ice was 4.5-5”. Skaters, ice boats & a few fishing. This am north bay 5.5-6” on the east side. About the same thickness a couple hundred yds north of the Morris town ramp in the afternoon. Not much action on traps and mostly small YP jigging, overall slow.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 26, 2021, 07:51 PM »
North Bay today 5-7”

Offline Jlinds1215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 27, 2021, 02:15 AM »
Is there public access to the north bay the only thing I can find is one at point folly?

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2021, 04:20 AM »
Is there public access to the north bay the only thing I can find is one at point folly?
Point Folly is the only legal access point in our restrictive state. Signs posted at Litchfield town ramp.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Jan 29, 2021, 06:47 AM »
Point Folly is the only legal access point in our restrictive state. Signs posted at Litchfield town ramp.

Signs have been there every winter for years.

Offline NECTfisherman0227

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 29, 2021, 11:07 AM »
I thought you were able to park at the launch in Morris.

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2021, 12:43 PM »
I believe that the sign also said a permit can be obtained from the town hall

Offline westfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 29, 2021, 02:22 PM »
In colder years I've gotten a free permit to park there and don't live in the town

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2021, 04:13 PM »

Yes that is the truth you can park at Morris boat launch

Offline GerGa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2021, 06:12 PM »
I think fishoninct meant point folly is the only public access to the North Bay.  Pretty sure you can still park at the state launch in Morris in the winter but that is the South Bay.
Edited...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.