The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: drill for auger  (Read 10902 times)

Offline Rudy0716

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: drill for auger
« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:04 PM »
Making my first post!

I’m going to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up the Ryobi hammer drill that’s currently on sale (600 in./lbs. for $50 (tool only) can’t beat the price). I hope that, paired with the lithium-ion plus battery, should give me the umph I need.

And Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:06 PM »
Making my first post!

I’m going to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up the Ryobi hammer drill that’s currently on sale (600 in./lbs. for $50 (tool only) can’t beat the price). I hope that, paired with the lithium-ion plus battery, should give me the umph I need.

And Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all.

Save your money unless your just looking for a home drill. This will not I repeat this will not spin an auger very long before it's smoking
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Rudy0716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:15 PM »
I appreciate it! You saved me a trip to the store, and a small dent in the wallet.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:19 PM »
I appreciate it! You saved me a trip to the store, and a small dent in the wallet.

No problem hate to see you waste 50 bucks
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:01 PM »
I have been running the Milwaukee M18 Fuel Hammer drill for several years with no issues.
x2

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:47 PM »
Been using a Milwaukee M18 for ~4 years now mated to a clam auger drill plate and lazer bit.  Would not change.

sounds good.   the clam plate has some gear reduction which imo allows a bigger variety of drills to be used.     

electric drill setup of any configuration is sure a lot better than hand drill.ing. lol 💪💪

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 26, 2020, 07:10 AM »
I use a Ryboi hammer drill and driver 18v Lithium+ and it's drilled many holes. This'll be my third yr with it. It's attached to a Mora 6inch augar with sharp blades. Just my two cents.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline jt13077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 26, 2020, 08:03 AM »
Just purchased the Dewalt DCD998, thanks for all the input! Just need the ice now.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Dec 26, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Just purchased the Dewalt DCD998, thanks for all the input! Just need the ice now.

Good luck with your purchase !
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 26, 2020, 08:24 PM »
I use a Ryboi hammer drill and driver 18v Lithium+ and it's drilled many holes. This'll be my third yr with it. It's attached to a Mora 6inch augar with sharp blades. Just my two cents.

You should play the lottery cause you got the 1 of 100 that hasn't burned up yet spinning an auger. I've seen 3-4 burn up and even dewalts that aren't the models stated

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 27, 2020, 06:08 AM »
This will be my first year with the drill setup I went with Milwaukee 2804 and a pistol bit
FISH ON!🎣

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 27, 2020, 06:47 AM »
6 inch old mora with new blades....   i’ve learned over time that i don’t need anything larger ......started with a 7.5 inch hand auger back in 1980. lol. 

I can remember starting out with a old spoon auger. Back to the subject. I have a old Mora with a 24v cobalt with a tee handle. We averaged a couple dozen holes a outing and never needed the back up battery.  How far we have advanced over the years. From a polar pal ,bucket, and a spud and no electronics. To what we have now. Now for a shelter that drags itself to really impress me..lol
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Dec 27, 2020, 06:54 AM »
I can remember starting out with a old spoon auger. Back to the subject. I have a old Mora with a 24v cobalt with a tee handle. We averaged a couple dozen holes a outing and never needed the back up battery.  How far we have advanced over the years. From a polar pal ,bucket, and a spud and no electronics. To what we have now. Now for a shelter that drags itself to really impress me..lol

So true Al my first year I used an ax and the broken of top of a bamboo cane pole..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:33 AM »

You should play the lottery cause you got the 1 of 100 that hasn't burned up yet spinning an auger. I've seen 3-4 burn up and even dewalts that aren't the models stated

There are a few different models of the Ryobi. There is a heavier duty one that puts out 750 in-lbs of torque and will not burn up. BUT there is a huge problem with that drill. The hammer handle is connected through the plastic in the front. The handle can't withstand the torque the motor puts out. I damn near broke my wrist last winter when the entire thing tore apart. Before that tho, this drill would cut 8-inch holes. Still, I would not recommend it!!

I actually just purchased the Kobalt XTR 24v Brushless Drill-Driver at Lowes. 1,200 in-lbs of torque and the kit with 4ah was only $124 (Hammer model was $150). Just started using it, but so far it's chewed what ice we have no problem (with kinda dull blades from last season).

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 01, 2021, 09:12 AM »
Don't think you can go wrong with Milwaukee or dewalt.  I plan on purchasing a dewalt 996 for my 6" nils convertible.  I have two 4 amp batteries for it already which I think should be plenty to last all day in an area where ice fishing is starting to dissipate due to our weak winters.  Anymore locally IF we get ice it's not more than 5 or 6" at best through the winter.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 01, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Don't think you can go wrong with Milwaukee or dewalt.  I plan on purchasing a dewalt 996 for my 6" nils convertible.  I have two 4 amp batteries for it already which I think should be plenty to last all day in an area where ice fishing is starting to dissipate due to our weak winters.  Anymore locally IF we get ice it's not more than 5 or 6" at best through the winter.
I'm still yet to have to attach the second battery in a day. I always carry 2 6amp batteries

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2021, 04:04 PM »
I had a rigid drill with a 6 inch Nils that worked great but the batteries were only 2ah, I will say rigid has EXCEPTIONAL customer service. I had a bad battery, made a 5 minute phone call and had a new one in 3 days. If you have Rigid, spend the few minutes to register your stuff for the LSA.

Now I run a Milwaukee on a 8" lite flite and couldn't be happier. Went with the Milwaukee because i got it with a impact drill and 2 batteries pretty cheap. No regrets on the purchase.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2021, 04:18 PM »
I had a rigid drill with a 6 inch Nils that worked great but the batteries were only 2ah, I will say rigid has EXCEPTIONAL customer service. I had a bad battery, made a 5 minute phone call and had a new one in 3 days. If you have Rigid, spend the few minutes to register your stuff for the LSA.

Now I run a Milwaukee on a 8" lite flite and couldn't be happier. Went with the Milwaukee because i got it with a impact drill and 2 batteries pretty cheap. No regrets on the purchase.

Just curious how many holes did you get on a charge? I just got my adapter for my 7" Lazer, so I haven't tried it yet. Not worried about the drill, but I only have a 2ah battery on it, so I am imagining the lifespan per charge will be pretty short.

Offline wygeargeek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2021, 12:58 AM »
Been running a Dewalt 996 for the last two years. Works great, no complaints.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: DEWALT DCD991 vs MILWAUKEE 2804
« Reply #50 on: Jun 29, 2021, 03:35 PM »
This video is a great comparison between the two most popular brands Dewalt DCD991 and Milwaukee 2804...both have 5 ah batteries . I am certain the DCD996 and/or the Milwaukee 2803 would have similar outcomes. Dewalts new it girl the DCD998/DCD999 are very similar in torque to the DCD991/996 ..but if you add a Flexvolt battery with 6ah or more it is adverstised to up the torque .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #51 on: Aug 22, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Will my Nils 6 inch convertible connect directly to either of  these? Do i need the orange thing in the middle?  See pic of Nils below

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #52 on: Aug 22, 2021, 06:56 PM »
Will my Nils 6 inch convertible connect directly to either of  these? Do i need the orange thing in the middle?  See pic of Nils below

Not certain what your asking ...did your Trekker come with conversion kit ? If so it will attach to any drill .

https://www.nilsmaster.com/conversion-kit

Nils is an odd duck ..I am not all that familiar with them as far as what adapter work with what model(s)...maybe contact Nils USA for a heads up.

https://www.reedssports.com/ice-fishing/nilsusa-power-adapter-adpt-6430025553238

The orange thing is a closed cell foam  float ..to keep the auger from going to Davy Jones Locker should it detach itself from the chuck of the drill...Exclusive to the K-Drill..the Nils conversion kit looks to have a disc to prevent that..NOTE as far as I know the Nils Trekker does not have a center point ...attaching it to a cordless drill ...on glare ice requires some caution ...those blades are sharp ...add some RPMs and that thing is a swirling ninja death machine be careful.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Aug 26, 2021, 04:52 AM »
 I have that nils adapter for the drill and was disappointed , I went with the Ice master and it worked great , non of my nils have a center point just feather the trigger to get a divot in the ice ive never had a problem with it dancing across the ice
 http:// https://www.fishusa.com/Ice-Master-Ice-Auger-Power-Drill-Conversion-Kit

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #54 on: Aug 26, 2021, 07:16 AM »
Great, thank you, yes the drill being convertible has the adapter built in. The plate prevents it from slipping off, should be all good.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:06 AM »
Great, thank you, yes the drill being convertible has the adapter built in. The plate prevents it from slipping off, should be all good.

Are you a battery platform already ? Dewalt...Milwaukee.. other ?? If so you may be able to get a bare tool and be race ready .

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Sep 28, 2021, 10:43 AM »

I too used a Ryobi Hammer drill (600 in lb) and the 18V 9 ah Lithium last year with no problems. 6" Lazer on a Clam plate. Drills great even up to 20+" of ice. As long as you have good blades like you mentioned and match up the diameter to the in/lb of torque there should not be a problem. 100 in/lb per inch of diameter. If someone is running an 8" or 10" on something with less torque than yeah it will have problems (I've seen this quite a bit on the ice). I already had Ryobi stuff and batteries for home use so I wasn't about to spend money on a different brand just for one purpose essentially.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Sep 28, 2021, 12:31 PM »
I too used a Ryobi Hammer drill (600 in lb) and the 18V 9 ah Lithium last year with no problems. 6" Lazer on a Clam plate. Drills great even up to 20+" of ice. As long as you have good blades like you mentioned and match up the diameter to the in/lb of torque there should not be a problem. 100 in/lb per inch of diameter. If someone is running an 8" or 10" on something with less torque than yeah it will have problems (I've seen this quite a bit on the ice). I already had Ryobi stuff and batteries for home use so I wasn't about to spend money on a different brand just for one purpose essentially.

You may get. Away with it for a while but your will burn those plastic pieces up in that drill.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Sep 28, 2021, 03:06 PM »

You may get. Away with it for a while but your will burn those plastic pieces up in that drill.

this would be in my Home Depot cart waiting for a price change/ sale ..there may be  a buy more save more deal going on ..but not showing up in the cart
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Tool-Only-PBLHM101B/314109445

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Lithium-Ion-6-0-Ah-LITHIUM-HP-High-Capacity-Battery-P193/301913870

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Sep 28, 2021, 06:18 PM »
I like my Milwaukee 18 with a 6 inch nils  get the disc that prevents loss of cutting head  good luck on the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.