Author Topic: German Cajun Potatoes  (Read 1486 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
German Cajun Potatoes
« on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:44 AM »
These potatoes are great as a breakfast side dish or in breakfast tacos.  You could cook 'em on the ice w/ a camp stove. 

4 medium potatoes scrubbed, de-eyed and chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
3 slices bacon
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a quart of water w/ 1 tsp salt to a boil. Add the diced potatoes and simmer for 15 min.  Drain the potatoes and allow them to steam dry for 5 min.  While the potatoes cook set an iron skillet over medium high heat.  Fry the bacon until crisp and set aside to drain on a brown paper bag.  Reserve the bacon grease.  Add 1 Tblspn bacon grease to the skillet and fry the onions and peppers until the onions begin to brown, about 10 minutes.  Remove and set aside.  Add another Tblspn or two of bacon grease to the skillet.  Fry the potatoes for 15 - 20 minutes or until browned on all side and crispy.  Add the chopped bacon pieces and veggies to the skillet and fry for a minute or two until everything is heated through.  Taste and season with salt and pepper.  Serve with ketchup and hot sauce on the side. 

You can add your choice of spices for the last 2 minutes of frying or leave them "plain".   I like chili powder, ground cumin and cilantro in mine for tacos and Cajun spice mix (but be aware of the salt in commercial products) for breakfast side dish.

Enjoy!! And laissez le bon temps rouler!!!

Uncle Shorty - The German Cajun
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.