The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Traveling to Minnesota  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Andrewhla

• IceShanty Rookie
Traveling to Minnesota
« on: Nov 08, 2020, 01:58 PM »
Just curious if anyone has a suggestion about an area to go to this January. We are driving up from Kansas City and want to keep it around an 8 hour drive. We can make it to Minneapolis in about 7ish hours. We have a contact in the Willmar area too. We went up to Mille Lacs last year. Not looking to stay in a sleeper this time. We’re more interested in being able to move around more to get on them this time.

Thanks in advance.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Traveling to Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2020, 04:29 PM »
I was going to suggest Mile Lacs as you will catch a lot of big fish and a number of good lakes around it if looking for a meal; but you were there last year.  If you only want to go an hour past the cities I'd head west towards Wilmar personally. there is a lot of lakes out that way, and escape the city pressure a bit

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2020, 04:44 PM »
How about the Alexandria area?
Never been there before.
Bought a ATV last year and thought I’d go ice fish Minnesota for the first time.
Used to fishing Wisconsin and want to explore.
Probably going by myself, so getting a cheap motel would do.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2020, 07:35 PM »
How about the Alexandria area?
Never been there before.
Bought a ATV last year and thought I’d go ice fish Minnesota for the first time.
Used to fishing Wisconsin and want to explore.
Probably going by myself, so getting a cheap motel would do.

The Alexandria area is great also, a lot of good lakes around there. It's a 2 hr drive from Minneapolis though so that's why I didn't suggest it.  I think the Alex area gets more pressure than say Willmar if it matters.

Offline Andrewhla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Thanks for the input. I just checked and looks like the Alexandria area is about 8 hours from KC.  Sounds like that area may be a good time.

Offline Skadi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2020, 04:01 PM »
Try otter tail county over a 1000 lakes to fish 3 hours NW of the cities.  I live here and I could show ya around if ya like.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Try otter tail county over a 1000 lakes to fish 3 hours NW of the cities.  I live here and I could show ya around if ya like.

I will vouch for it. Otter Tail is very nice....not as nice as the Gunflint perhaps (IMHO), but it is also MUCH closer.

This is a very kind offer.

I love this site.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Andrewhla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2020, 10:53 AM »
My group doesn't have enough equipment for us to go out on our own. Some of the guys barely even have their own rod/reel.  :P  Half the group is really only going to have time away with their buds. So, we would need a guide if we went to Alexandria or Willmar.  I have been searching around, but can't really seem to find many in that area.  I did see that Brainerd is a little more than 8 hours too.  Tons of options, I suppose.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2020, 11:44 AM »
My group doesn't have enough equipment for us to go out on our own. Some of the guys barely even have their own rod/reel.  :P  Half the group is really only going to have time away with their buds. So, we would need a guide if we went to Alexandria or Willmar.  I have been searching around, but can't really seem to find many in that area.  I did see that Brainerd is a little more than 8 hours too.  Tons of options, I suppose.
I can help you.. I know there is more guides, but here are the ones I know, you can't go wrong with any of these 3:

Joe Scegura guides in the Alexandria area and is topnotch for panfish or walleye.  I see he unfortunately hasn't updated is website recently, but don't let that turn you away, he is a full time guide and is always busy. You can find him active on IDO forums, and other fishing report websites. https://jsguideservice.com/

Matt Klug is also in that area and is fairly well known around here for multispecies.  If you want to catch channel catfish through the ice he'll take you to a good lake. https://www.mkfishingguideservice.com/ https://www.facebook.com/MK-Fishing-Guide-Service-108793596452957/

If you want to chase trophy sized panfish Garret is your guy, I want to book a trip with him some day, extremely knowledgeable panfish guy. http://www.slabseekerfishing.com/?fbclid=IwAR0NGEkx02tbctu7lp0pfBK2aXwNNzyiKj6EfzuKiT_siRslLtoU5KgGFCY  https://www.facebook.com/SlabSeekerFishing

Offline Skadi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2020, 07:37 PM »
Andrewhla.
 pm a guy on here that goes by Thorson.  Amazing fisherman and does take groups out often.  He teaches you how to fish each lake he is out on.  Awesome youth volunteer as well. I think he lives in Fergus Falls.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Nisswa, Pequot Lakes, Brainerd area would be great option

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.