Author Topic: kEEPING SMELT ALIVE  (Read 4312 times)

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
kEEPING SMELT ALIVE
« on: Dec 20, 2004, 01:58 AM »
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO KEEP SMELT ALIVE? I'VE TRIED ALMOST EVERYTHING TO KEEP THEM ALIVE LONGER THAN 1 DAY BUT USUALLY NO LUCK. THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN KEEP THM ALIVE FOR ONE DAY IS TO KEEP PUTTING SNOW IN THE BUCKET WITH THEM. ANY IDEA WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANK YOU.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: kEEPING SMELT ALIVE
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2004, 04:38 AM »
i keep smelt in my tank .they like it cold.they also like lots of oxegyn.i always use an extra bubbler with smelts.they seem to congregate around it!HOPE THIS HELPS

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:43 AM »
Salt also helps keep them longer.  Add some to the water in your bait bucket.  You need the non-iodized.  That and a bubbler and I can keep mine for a few weeks.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2004, 06:56 PM »
I've never heard of the "salt" being added to the water.  How much do you add, tablespoon to a five gallon bucket?  That's interesting.  Cold water and air and I've had mine live all through a three day fishing trip.  Jim's Bait Shop adds oxygen to the bags if you buy three dozen or more.  (For us suckers that don't catch our own!)  This seems to keep em extra lively throughout the weekend. 
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2004, 09:38 AM »
Not sure on the "correct" amount. But a rounded table spoon is about what I was using. I had some salt that they use for saltwater aquariums that the pet store gave me for my freshwater tank that was having some problems.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2004, 05:01 PM »
gonna try the dual bubbler this yr usually don't have that many leftover
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline JohnPorter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:49 AM »
Dual bubbler is the cats meow also remember to climatize the smelts to your home water conditions. I do this by slowing changing the temperature in my bait bucket by adding cold tap water. To much and it shocks the smelts. I have a thermostat that I continue to check the water temp until I am within 5 degrees of the holding tanks temperature.... John
MY COMPETITION STANDS NO CHANCE !!!!!!!

NAD42

« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:04 PM »
let em die and lay them right on the bottom...if ya want lakers.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I was looking for some more salt for this year and found some at petco.  It's called Doc Wellfish's aquarium salt.  It says it reduces stress and adds electrolytes.  It also says to put in one rounded tablespoon full for every 5 gallons.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.