Author Topic: Gulp! Maggots?  (Read 2464 times)

fish_hooked

Gulp! Maggots?
« on: Dec 19, 2004, 07:36 AM »
Has anyone here ever tried Berkley's Gulp maggots? Look similar to waxworms, just wondering if they might survive more bites/catches than live waxworms.  I hear you can also get them in a variety of colors...

suskymusky

Re: Gulp! Maggots?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:15 AM »
I tried them for trout and panfish this year.They stay on the hook forever, you can get a couple fish on the same bait.They work pretty good, but the fish wanted the waxies more.You just can't beat the real thing.

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2004, 09:17 AM »
Try using the gulp maggots together with live waxworms and maggots. The gulp baits are scented and the fish like to taste the live bait.

Offline BROWNSLAYER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:44 PM »
Used them all last season, stay on the hook real well, but can't beat the real thing.
I personally like spikes, although when you run into the rare occasion when the fish
are suicidal, Gulp has the upper hand because it is so tough, thus the less you have to rebait.

Offline TackleTester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • sorry i'm late, fishing is more important
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2004, 11:22 PM »
the gulp are good but of course they do not wiggle which is the major attraction to the real stuff.  I like spikes the best personally.  Give the gulp a try , though...I'd try anything but a natural color, though.

Catch em up
             Brian
CEO Tackle Testers International

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2004, 07:32 PM »
I used them all last year. They worked great. I'm sure waxworms are better, but I don't like fooling with them. The waxworms seem to fall off of the hook too easy. Plus, the gas station that sells bait is in the opposite direction, and I'd rather just get to the ice ASAP.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.