Author Topic: Lakeland area lakes  (Read 2928 times)

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Lakeland area lakes
« on: Nov 14, 2004, 04:32 PM »
We now have ice on all of the lakes in the area.  The larger ones like Touchwood, Pinehurst, Lac La Biche are frozen over, but to what thickness, I do not know.(too chickennuts to go on the ice to find out)  Several of us were on Mile 7 lake on the old Conklin Road and gave the rainbows a bit of a hard time.  The bite was slow, but the fellowship and the accompanying BS was well worth while, not to mention the c**kspur rum & Pepsi to shed the cold!!! ;)  Came home with 4 'bows in the 20" range.  Supper indeed.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Lakeland area lakes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2004, 05:51 PM »
Splendid....positively splendid.  I fished rainbows yesterday, however luck was not on my side as I had about ten lookin inside of 1.5 hours but no takers.  I fished a four acre reservoir through five inches of good ice....

Trevor

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2004, 09:22 AM »
Its been warm enough down south that I think we could still be swimming!  Not good for the fishing or the hunting :-\  At least hunting will keep me busy til the end of the month at which point I hope something has ice on it.  May have to resort to fishing puddles at this rate!
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2004, 08:46 AM »
What kinda ice you guys up north have?  I checked a local reservoir yesterday and there was 3" so that should be at least 6" by next weekend and we've been warm.  Just curious as to progress around Edmonton and North... Can't wait for Christmas Break ;D
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline sco22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2004, 02:50 PM »
Okay Bushbunny, I am dying for some news on the ice up there!  Give me my Spencer/JBK Lakes/Siebert fix!

I am off to Mexico for a week starting this Saturday, but I can't wait until the Christmas/New Year's break!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2004, 02:00 PM »
We had some extremely unseasonal temps over the last couple of weeks, with rain included.  This weekend(Dec.4/5) the temps are in the -15C. range, making some good ice.  It is snowing and blowing, with most of the snow ending up in the bush, not on the lakes.  I have not had a chance to get to Touchwood or Pinehurst to check because of work, but hope to one day this coming week.  I'll let you know.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2004, 07:13 PM »
With the extremely cold temps., today there was a pickup out on the bay just west of Lac La Biche!!!  I would not have the cahonies yet, but on the weekend, lookout.

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:48 AM »
Awesome, sounds like things are coming around nicely. 

Hey, Which hotel do you think is the best value in LLB.  The parklands look decent (from whats on the net) but just figured one place
may stand out over the other...whether its for price or for being clean or whatever.     
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2004, 01:27 PM »
Both Parkland I & Parkland II are quite new, and clean.   Parkland I is 2 blocks from downtown, & II is on the western edge.  Neither have restaurant facilities or drinking establishments.  The La Biche Inn, which is owned by the same people is downtown, with full dining(excellent food) and drinking facilities.  The bar provides entertainment in the form of scraps among our indigenous Canadians, while the lounge has a much quieter atmosphere.  The Almac, on the western edge of town is a complete service facility, with some upgrades made in the past while. 

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2004, 02:22 PM »
Shoot I was thinking Parklands but it'd sure be nice to have the restaurant right there specially for that early breaky on the way out.  Sounds like LLB Inn may be the place provided the rooms aren't noisy.  Look forward to takin' in that entertainment ;D  Thanks for the info.
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2004, 07:02 PM »
Check out Lakeside Bed & Breakfast, as they have 4 self contained cabins, just on the east side of town.  That would be my choice.  You have the town trout pond about 200 yds behind it.  The cabins are second to none, and you have the mobility, and privacy that you and if you bring your family along might appreciate!!! 

Offline David_the_fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happy Jigging
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2004, 11:50 PM »
i heard from ppl that pigeon lake has about 8+ inchs of ice same with wabamun.

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2004, 10:31 AM »
BB I'm bringin' a couple a' rag tags along (Sparky and VanCan) so we don't need anything too fancy...you guys don't happen to have a zoo up there do ya? Or better yet an Asylum?  That way I could set them up there then head over to the B&B ;D 
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline sco22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2004, 12:22 PM »
Hey guys, I am back from a week in the Mayan Riviera in Mexico.  It sounds like it was a good week to miss.  I hope the ice is good and I can't wait until the Christmas break to get up there. 

Muddler, I have stayed at both of the Parklands and the Almac.  The Parklands are nice and you can get little kitchenettes to cook up some bacon and eggs or such.  I liked the Almac as it is close to the pub and you can back your ATV or sled trailer right up to your room.  You can also do that at the Parkland provided you get a groundfloor room.  They were all clean enough for me anyhow. 

Did you get out this weekend BB?

Cheers.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2004, 01:21 PM »
Went out to Mile 7 on the old Conklin Road.  Drove out on the lake with the pickup, as there were others out their heavier units than mine.  There is about 14" of ice.  With the salvage license, you are allowed 15 rainbows per day.  The lake winterkills, thus the issuance of the salvage permit.  Had a ball beating up on them.  Caught 12 Saturday afternoon from 2-3lbs., and 15 Sunday, again from 2-3lbs.  They are a deep red, feeding on freshwater shrimp, and have absolutely no mud taste!!  I smoked up 15 of them.  A real bugger to keep lit when they are rolled in brown paper. ;D ;D

Offline sco22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2004, 11:04 AM »
That sounds like it was a blast.  I have never fished in the winter for trout as the lure of a 20 pound jack or an 8 pound walleye through the ice is too much incentive for me.

Have you ever fished Seibert in the winter?  It looks a little murky in the summer, but that could have been the wobbly pops talking.

Cheers.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2004, 01:50 PM »
People are starting to drive on Beaver, Lac La Biche(causeway area and town bay), Touchwood, Square, to name the ones around LLB.  I have not been to the lakes in the park, but snowmobiles & ATV traffice is on the lakes.  Jackson, Blackett and Kinnaird are catching well, Pinehurst & Siebert, I do not know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.