Author Topic: Shallow or Deep for walleye?  (Read 13656 times)

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Shallow or Deep for walleye?
« on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:31 AM »
I went out for my first time on champlain last weekend to fish for walleye. I know that you need to fish for them a foot or two off the bottom, but i dont know if i should focus in shallow water (4'-10') or deeper water (10'-30'). I fish just outside of the mouth of a river, and there is a steep sand drop off that i focus around. I was just woundering if i should fish the top sand shelf of the mouth or the drop off in the deeper water? Any help would be great!! THANKS!!  ~fishstalker

walleyechaser

Re: Shallow or Deep for walleye?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:33 AM »
I'd fish deep during the day and move shallow at night.  Pre drill all your holes and work your way up that drop as darkness sets in.

But then again what do I know.  I haven't iced a legal walleye yet this winter.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:40 AM »
ya thats what i figured, shallow water at night. i caught a 26"-6 lb waleye in 7 feet of water on an emerald at 9 pm on friday. i just didnt know if it was luck or if i should focus more in the shallow water? thx for the help

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:42 AM »
Fishstalker,
Don't know how many lines your allowed. Some states sound like their allowed a million traps per person. I would set up in both locations. Most likely early and late will find the Wallys hanging shallow, then sliding deeper during daylight hours. Set your traps in the opposite area that you plan on jigging, if you do so. I would jig the drop-off structure during alll three stages of the day, as the eyes might hold tight to it during some conditions. If your jigging in shallow, but the traps go off deep, or on the slope, then move. Same thing in the day, if traps go off shallow, or on the slope, then move.
You should over time figure out the habits in your area under different conditions at different times of the year this way.

Good Luck, and Happy Hookin!

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:49 AM »
On our lake 10 ft is the deepest part, we fish inchs off the bottom never a couple of feet .Surprized to here that just a different area I guess :o ::)

walleyechaser

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:57 AM »
On our lake 10 ft is the deepest part, we fish inchs off the bottom never a couple of feet .Surprized to here that just a different area I guess :o ::)

I've found that eyes do something a little different in every lake I fish for them.  All depends on the forage and type of lake.
You really just have to get out there and figure them out.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2007, 12:24 PM »
Ya i fish lake champlain in vermont. Were allowed 15 traps a person so i can cover ALLOT of ground!! i usually put the minnow 1-2 feet off the bottom because walleye almost always feed up (thats what ive always been told). what kind of baits do you usually use were you guys fish? i would really like to use some smelt, but i have been using emeralds. do people use goldens????? whats the ideal size minnow???

walleyechaser

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2007, 12:31 PM »
depends on the lake.  I know nothing about Champlain.  Most lakes by me shiners are ideal golden or emerald.
Sometimes they want a small minnow other times they want something bigger.  Another lake over here they like suckers the best. 

For tip ups baited for walleyes I normally use goldies.  They seem to hold up better than emeralds.  I would say the 3-5 inchers are best for the most part.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:23 PM »
depends on the lake.  I know nothing about Champlain.  Most lakes by me shiners are ideal golden or emerald.
Sometimes they want a small minnow other times they want something bigger.  Another lake over here they like suckers the best. 

For tip ups baited for walleyes I normally use goldies.  They seem to hold up better than emeralds.  I would say the 3-5 inchers are best for the most part.
WC,
How would you like a spread of 45 traps for three of us at Ponticrack? WOW......

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:29 PM »
HOW MANY TRAPS ARE YOU ALLOWED IN MICHIGAN?

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:32 PM »
in michigan, you get 2 lines in the water per person at any given time
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:37 PM »
OHH WOW!!! HERE ON CHAMPLIN I CAN HAVE 15 TRAPS OUT, AND BE RUNNING TWO HANDLINES IN MY SHANTY AT THE SAME TIME.......BIG DIFFERENCE!!! WOW!!!!

flockshot

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:41 PM »
WC,
How would you like a spread of 45 traps for three of us at Ponticrack? WOW......
the difference is champlain is rather large..like 450 sq.miles. but still that seems insane.

i perfer deep water by the way...at all times of the day..the main difference is ill usually fish a little higher in the water column after the sun goes down.

Offline mcarolan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:53 PM »
I find that if I sit just off the bottom maybe 8 - 12"  with a current flowing I'll hit walleye more often than not but when it comes to still lakes I don't know so any tips would help me too. Also what bait is best?

walleyechaser

« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:54 PM »
the difference is champlain is rather large..like 450 sq.miles. but still that seems insane.

i perfer deep water by the way...at all times of the day..the main difference is ill usually fish a little higher in the water column after the sun goes down.

thats just because you don't know how to catch fish after dark :P

that many traps would be a cluster.  Especially with all those idiots out on Pontiac lake.

flockshot

« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:58 PM »
thats just because you don't know how to catch fish after dark :P

that many traps would be a cluster.  Especially with all those idiots out on Pontiac lake.
i can catch eyes after dark no problem..its crappies that give a problem when the sun sets .lol.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:04 PM »
A suggestion for your trap fishing for eyes would be to place your traps, cut a few extra holes around each, then when a flag goes off, your group of anglers heads to the empty holes around the trap flag to follow the school. This works well for Perch. We use tip-downs, one per angler, with 5 holes drilled around it. The others are placed scattered with extra holes around each. Jiggers follow the flags!

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:48 PM »
thats a good idea

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:05 PM »
OHH WOW!!! HERE ON CHAMPLIN I CAN HAVE 15 TRAPS OUT, AND BE RUNNING TWO HANDLINES IN MY SHANTY AT THE SAME TIME.......BIG DIFFERENCE!!! WOW!!!!

It's 15 total, not 17.  13 tipups and 2 jig poles.

Ice Fishing: Ice fishing is fishing by means of hook and line
in hand or attached to a rod, tip-up, jack or bob, where the
angler is fishing through a hole in the ice, from the ice or on
an objectsupported by the ice. Fishing by casting or trolling
baited hooks, artificial flies or lures shall not be considered
ice fishing. A person may take fish only by using not more
than eight lines, except on Lake Champlain where no more
than fifteen lines. He or she must have immediate control
over all lines. Each line may not have more than two baited
hooks, or three artificial flies or two lures with or without
bait.

That's from

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/Reports_and_Documents/Vermont_Digest_of_Hunting_Fishing_and_Trapping_Laws/29-35_Fishing%20Information.pdf

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:13 PM »
my bad

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2007, 10:26 AM »
if thats the case then myself and everyone i know is fishing to many too. i always set up my 15 and usually have at least one jiggin pole goin sometimes too. tricky rules
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Offline sparker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish are in the water!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2008, 08:25 AM »

bait.

That's from

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/Reports_and_Documents/Vermont_Digest_of_Hunting_Fishing_and_Trapping_Laws/29-35_Fishing%20Information.pdf
Check page 30 in NY regulation guide. NOTE: ICE FISHING is legal to take any species during its open season. Fifteen tip-ups and two handlines may be used for ice fishing from NOV. 15 - APRIL 30.!

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2008, 02:55 PM »
OK OK OK..... Let me correct you. It says right here in the book, which is right in front of me;

NOTE: Each fishing line may have no more than two baited hooks or artificial lures with or without added natural bait.

ICE FISHING IS LEGAL TO TAKE ANY SPECIES DURING ITS OPEN SEASON. FIFTEEN TIP-UPS ANDDDDDDDDD TWO HAND LINES MAY BE USED FOR ICE FISHING!!!

Loop hole between NY and VT ice fishing maybe?!?!?!

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shallow or Deep for walleye?---shallow
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Shallow is always better than deeper its easier on the fish and its easier on you, especially if you want to
release fish which u should, only take what you need dont over do it. Conservation is the key to a good
fishery.

point 2- you'll loose less fish in shallow water its a shorter pull.

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:10 PM »

17 lines you guys are nuts here we are only allowed 2 lines per person, 17 what a way to cheat the fish!
bait.

That's from

Offline rocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:03 PM »
on the lake i fish a vexilar is a must, many of the walleyes we catch are suspended.  sometimes 10 feet off bottom, i usually fish 25 to 30 fow.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Usually I start in 18 fow in the early afternoon then after dark I move up to 4 to 6fow.............trick is to have all your shallow water holes drilled well before dark as they are spooky in that shallow water..............buc kshot rattle spoon tipped with 3 perch minnows, thru the eyes one on each hook........

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2009, 05:06 PM »
depending on the time of year usually I usually start fishing around 16-24 fow............as said before work your way around that drop you should be able to find walleyes during the day in the deep water without a problem if this is a well known spot that you have caught fish at before............as night falls try moving a little shallower try around 10-15fow its really hard to say how shallow the fish are willing to go...........the biggest thing is figure out what they are feeding on and try your hardest to get in the mix of it..............

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:43 AM »
The first three times out this winter I caught no walleye in deep water during the day, only a few pike relatively shallow. But at night I've caught walleye pretty consistantly shallow, about 6-10 feet of water, anyone wanna give me some pointers on how to adjust during the day?

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:33 PM »
The first three times out this winter I caught no walleye in deep water during the day, only a few pike relatively shallow. But at night I've caught walleye pretty consistantly shallow, about 6-10 feet of water, anyone wanna give me some pointers on how to adjust during the day?

Fish suspended over deep water during the day. 10-15 feet off the bottom in the deep water closest to where you catch them at night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.