The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: any good pike fishing near Sidney, MT?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline blackbull

• IceShanty Rookie
any good pike fishing near Sidney, MT?
« on: Dec 04, 2010, 03:06 PM »
Just moved to the Sidney area and I'm looking for info on places to catch pike.  Ive heard that Medicine Lake has some but can't find anybody that fishes them or knows where to go.  Ive also heard rumors of BIG pike in some of the river backwaters.  People tell me to go to North Dakota but I don't have a clue about that either. 

Offline Perch tugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: any good pike fishing near Sidney, MT?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2010, 05:19 PM »
I live here in Williston and if you are looking for pike I would go to Trenton Lake or Epping Springbrook Dam.  Later in the new year I could tell you how to get to a perch and pike pond that I like to fish through the ice and did just that last Sunday.  I will not be able to go out on the ice for 6 to 8 weeks as I am having surgery on my right foot this Wednesday Dec. 8Th.  Send me a message and I will try to help.

Offline blackbull

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Won't have much time until January anyway, but whats the scoop on bait and licences in the Williston area?  Looked like there were some guys off Trenton park on Sunday but I had to get back to work.  What else lives in that lake?  The ND site isn't used as much and everybody in Sidney says its too cold to Ice fish without a pickup on the ice.  I've heard rumors about pike and MUSKIE in Gartside res.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:15 PM »
the best place in the country to catch monster pike is Lake Sakajawea, only 100 miles from you!!! Yes i am predjudice for that lake, as it is where i grew up and all my fondest memories are from. It is a huge lake, but there are pike everywhere in it, and they are massive!!! Patience is key, as its mainly waiting for fish to swim by, espesially in a reservoir that size. Many of the small lakes in western north dakota are over run with little pike, if you are looking for numbers. Just check the game and fish website, to see which lakes have what species and how often and in what numbers they are stocked. I would go to Scenic Sports in Williston and ask them. The Anderson brothers were my friends growin up, and that family is very in tune with what is going on in the outdoors in western north dakota/eastern montana, and are always eager to help others in the area (it is their job!) good luck out there, and i hope you get into some toothy critters, as i think there are too many the way it is!!!

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:40 AM »
Dude fish and game just dumped a bunch of tiger musky over your way. go to there web page and it tells you what lake. i would do it for you but im a little on the lazy side and when you are at there web page u will learn alot about all montana fishing. now go out there and get one of those tiger musky and tell me about how great it is cuz thats just to damn for me to drive

Offline blackbull

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2010, 03:04 PM »
The tiger muskie are in Gartside Res. south of Sidney about 12 miles.  Ive already caught 3 small ones, 2 walleye, and hundreds of small bluegills in one afternoon.  I'm looking for more info on Trenton lake and the others in West Dakota, but there isn't much traffic on the Ndak site. Ive gotten more responses on the Montana sites.  Ive also got questions about guys ice fishing the rivers, like how to set tipups if there is current and how not to die. 

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2010, 04:58 PM »
I know there are lots of Pike in the Yellowstone around Sidney.  I've icefished the Stone up closer to billings with little luck overall so far but I am still looking for the hot spots that I can access by road. Location is important on lakes but on rivers it is absolutely critical.  On rivers fish concentrate in key areas during winter much more so than on lakes.  You are likely to either be amongst a pile of fish or none at all.  The biggest key is finding holes with good depth and very minimal current, although ling are probably an exception to that general rule of thumb.

Good luck and please do post on how well you do.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2010, 02:31 AM »
smishiek, powers lake, white earth dam, would be some starters for pike in western north dakota, powers lake being the best when i was growing up, as far as size and numvers. Most of the guys who fish for northerns in nodak are old timers, and none of them know how to even turn on a computer, let alone post a fishing report. I use fishingbuddy.com for when i am in nodak, as most fishermen in the state use that site, and it is the most reliable and consistant for up to date reports. any little lake in western nodak pretty much has pike in it, but what you want to check out is the winterkill % rates, as the last few winters have been pretty hard on the little lakes. If you try to ice fish the yellowstone or missouri rivers by yourself, you will probaby die.... no joke at all!!!!! do not go unless you are with someone very experienced and knows the particular stretch of river you are fishing very well. summertime, awesome sauger, pike, and catfish, and crappie fishing, in a much safer enviroment. I cant think of a worse way to go, then to be dragged under the ice for a few miles, clawing at the bottom of the ice as the current rips you downstream, and you drown and freeze at almost the same time. Not fun. If you see my post above, go talk to the boys at Scenic Spprts in Williston, and just b.s. with them a bit, they ususally know what lakes in nodak and eastern montana are doing good, and they have lots of contacts with game and fish to know what lakes were most affected by winterkill or whathave you. i hope you figure it out, and get out there and have lots of fun.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2010, 12:17 PM »
Yes the river can be extremely dangerous, utmost caution cannot be stressed enough.  I used to do lots of rock climbing and when I go explore new ice on the river I use the same equipment.  I will harness and rope up while my buddy on the bank feeds me rope as I walk out spud barring the ice every other step or two.  In most spots that I have tried, the ice was a very consistent 10 to 12 inches but that could change up very quickly in other spots.  One time we were on the main channel, the ice thickness was good but we drilled a hole and there was a sloshing whirl pool in the ice hole caused by the strong current under the ice.  Needless to say, it took a few ounces of lead to get to the bottom in only 5 feet of water and we were not surprised at all that we never got a bite.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Hmmmm
Eight replys
AND
No one has even mentioned Ft Peck ?
It really isn't that far from Sidney.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Go talk to Steve at the Williston sporting goods store. He's the head of the fishing department and a dedicated pike fisherman. He'll point you in the right direction. Tell him Doublehaul sent you.
So many fish, so little time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.