Author Topic: Spring Bobbers?  (Read 5465 times)

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spring Bobbers?
« on: Dec 29, 2008, 09:09 PM »
   How many use spring bobbers , theres many assorted styles , but all serve the same purpose.   Are you fully satisfied with your results , while I feel they have their place I have found a rod that will replace them 4 out of 5 times. 

The new Frabill Bro series Quick Tip earned a place in my rod bag this last weekend.  I was on a lake known for finicky big bull gills. I had been fishing with a custom rod rigged with the St Croix spring bobber set up .  I was using an light action spring and was having dificulty getting hooksets.  I switched to 27" Quick Tip . 

The ultra light super sensitive tip allowed me to see the bites , while still not spooking the gills.   The ultra fast tip allowed a fast response and increased hook ups.  It seems the play allowed by the spring bobber gave the gills a split second to spit the jig .   The Quick Tips fast action allowed me an advantage and a few extra hook wary gills for the bucket .

Next time your in the market for a new rod , Give the Bro series form Frabill a look ,  you will like what you see.....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Re: Spring Bobbers?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2008, 09:43 PM »
I broke my ultralight genz rod last year, definetly the best rod i've ever used. I replaced it with a Bro rod. They are great. soft tip, but plenty of backbone.  I also come to like my 18" schooly Artic Blue UL.

Offline Mutzinbaugh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PUTZ!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2009, 05:46 PM »
they absolutely increase your catch. i will not fish without them. the st. croix ice legend rod is the most sensitive spring bobber that i have and it is the rod i catch the most fish on.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2009, 06:25 PM »
If they are dropping the jig before you can set the hook, try dropping the tip of the rod a touch just before you set. The weight of the jig in their mouth makes them inhale (in most cases), and you will get more fish up the hole. :)

Len from Marmish gave me this pointer, and I have really capitalized on it.

I have fished with them all, tip rods, legends, UL graphites, and spring bobbers galore! Nothing competes with the Marmish system that I have seen yet. Marmish makes their springs available separately to use on any rod too. I have a custom rod with a Marmish spring, and I love it as much as my flasher.

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2009, 04:54 AM »
Crappies love to lift the bait as they take it. Without the spring to just can't see the bite. I caught about 8 crappies to every 1 my buddy caught the other night. He had no spring bobber. Cheeks out!!! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:57 AM »
I use the St. Croix legend rods on the ice. Real sensitive. Never miss a lite bite even from a 3" gill just pecking at it.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2009, 12:40 PM »
I use the Schooley spring bobber thats on the schooley rod. Works great and its definitely required many times but it should be epoxied on otherwise it breaks quick. I've noticed that some fish like to rise up when they munch on your bait and you will see the spring rise.

Offline Hunkerdown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tip Up another Beer for those Hardwater Junkies.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I recently bought a couple of the bro ultra lites and love them. However if your jigging for smelt, the spring bobbers are a definete.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:52 AM »
I have HT spring bobbers on all my rods.....I love them. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:03 AM »
I use spring bobbers and find them to be almost necesary . I bought some of the spring style made by HT and they freeze too fast for me . I usually stay out of my shanty hole hopping so for me it has got to be the schooley flat style much easier to deal with when it is cold and plenty sensitive. I did get some gamefish sized spring bobbers and so far I like these too. They can handle heavier spoons and stuff but are sensitive enough for small to medium tear drops. they are a larger diameter and freeze ups are less frequent. No matter what style you like I find them needed on most trips.

Offline gmanfuzzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:26 AM »
i use the coil spring from www.stopperlures.com   be sure to bend your hook out or sideways.  you wont miss any fish that way.

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:31 AM »
Nothing competes with the Marmish system that I have seen yet. Marmish makes their springs available separately to use on any rod too. I have a custom rod with a Marmish spring, and I love it as much as my flasher.

I'll second that skipper. tried numerous spring bobbers, and the marmish are by far the best I've used.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:40 AM »
i love them too. i have the small springs from HT. freeze ups are just a nature of the beast for me. i just touch the tip with my hand and frozen moisture is gone!!! definately increases my catch... :tipup:
wood is good

Offline Creektroll3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I use both, but if your after crappie a spring bobber is a must. I fish one with a sping bobber and the rod in my hand I fish with out a springbobber. But I'm alway's fishing a hali or a pimple on that one.

2009 Iceshanty Tourney Leader for Crappie

Offline luckyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:20 AM »
The fish are singing me the Ice Blues. No need for spring bobbers when you can see and feel the bite on a ice blue fishing rod. 18-24inch light action is what i use!!!!!! :laugh: ;D

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:11 PM »
i love my wire spring bobber that i attached a bell to and helped me ice some decent eyes that had  negative bite! well worth the money

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Turned a buddy on to them last week. he is lucky to get out once a year. This year he has gotten out several times but has only managed a fish or two. After I instructed him on how to atttach and properly load a spring bobber, he killed'em! He came in today and told me he caught over 100 pannies once he swithched over to the rod with the spring bobber on it. nough said!
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:03 PM »
I consider spring bobbers a must for crappie and blue gills.  I know I see many more bites with them that I wouldn't otherwise.  Some day I'm going to get me a St. Croix Legend.  I just got a Priemer ultra lite and some how it broke right away so that didn't impress me though.

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:09 PM »
if you get a good spring like the marmish you will realize its not so much the rod but the spring that does the work get a good one and you wont ever fish without one :tipup:

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:24 PM »
I always use the spring bobbers. My favorite so far is the Schooley's corkscrew bobber. Real sensitive. I have another clip on bobber than is basically just a piece of wire, almost thicker leader material. 100thoz jigs even tip this one down. To those that say they can still see every light bite on just a rod, I find it kinda hard to believe you see all of them. I've caught crops and gills without the spring bobbers don't get me wrong. But all those sniffers I thought I had in years past ended up on the top side of the ice this year. Same marks on the flasher but now I can see every bite. Not saying I get everyone, sometimes they are just too light or dont have it all the way.

Won't icefish without a spring bobber any more.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I prefer the schoolys flat with the florecent orange eye tip,I have the same ones for years,but like someone else mentioned about epoxy,thats a must.they can even be fine tuned by pinching it between your thumb and index  finger and pull it through,the tighter and harder you pull the more curl it gets.

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2010, 06:39 PM »
I just started fishing in shanty this year.  My lithology of spring tips started as a child in the early 80's with the schooly rod and tips.  By the time I was in college I began fishing with long noodle rods custom made by myself and tightlining. Some of these rods i used the spring out of Bic lighter as a spring tip (frankly the most sensitive thing I've ever seen). None of my fishing was done in water deeper than 8 feet.  Now I'm in a shanty and made myself two 24" rods that sport Pfluger spinning reels for fishing deeper water.  I am back to the schooly spring tip because I thought it would offer me the least chance of hang ups and line damage.  I tie my spring tips on with waxed monocord and finish it with a whip knot.  They have worked great as they act as an extention of the rod and don't damage the line or get bound up. I am missing the sensitivity of coil type spring tip though as well as the slow wave style presentation they give flys.  Without having to buy a whole new system and rod, has anyone had success with a specific coil type indicator that works well with a spinning combo? 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2010, 06:43 PM »
Bah...humbug!

Get a well balanced rod and reel for the specie of fish you're after..(need not be super expensive)...forget the springy thingys.

3 good rods will take you from bluegills to walleye.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Switched to Jason Mitchell rod with spring bobber, best I've used yet, check it out on his web site or at Fish 307.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:45 PM »
love the spring bobbers wont fish with out them. ive caught more fish with them then when i didnt have one  :bow:
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Offline swillerjig

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:52 PM »
The guy at the local bait shop has a guy that makes them and u don'y need a spring bobber ultra sensitve and strong and there only 13$ best rod I have ever used
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life!!!

Offline keng52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2010, 09:34 AM »
   I started using the flat style spring bobbers over 35 years ago. I've tried the wire type and the coil spring type , but like the flat ones best. Like Carl Malden says "Don't leave home without them".

Ken...

Offline jrp454

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2010, 09:59 AM »
34 years flat type

Offline jackhollio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2010, 05:48 PM »
I have convertited all of my poles to the lightest St. Croix spring bobber.
 I attach w/ heat shrink tubing and they show all the action needed to catch even the lightest bitters. 8) 8) 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.