Author Topic: What type of fish line  (Read 3392 times)

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
What type of fish line
« on: Jun 13, 2008, 05:39 AM »
  Hi I going to restring my ice poles i now use Berkley Trilene cold weather  2Lb  I notice that the hook likes to spin win I not jigging , some sad that you can spool it wrong ? ???   Tim

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: What type of fish line
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2008, 10:58 PM »
does your line loop and twist?

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2008, 04:49 AM »
 some times i notes that it will look like coil going down hole , wood a swivel help?

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2008, 02:48 PM »
I put a swivel on most of my poles.  It definitely helps with the twist. If I fish deeper water it definitely helps!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Coils are usually a result of spool memory and not line twist. Your best  bet is to respool often and pull your line straight from time to time. Jigging inside of a warm shack helps too. ;D

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2008, 05:28 AM »
  Thinks, I will restring but Waite until Oct or Nov to do it , apparently i am using good line, I thank I will try swivels    Tim

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2008, 11:14 AM »
First off, don't use cold weather line inside your shanty. My shanty is about 78 degrees so I never use cold weather line.
Second, Drop your line to the desired depth. the pull it up by hand and at the same time squeeze the line between your fingers ( thumb and first finger ) Pull slowly and let the line turn as you pull it up. Then drop it back in the hole. if it is still turning do it again.
I would not recommend using a swivel to fix your problem because you will lose some action with the added weight.
If this doesn't work buy new line.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2008, 05:16 PM »
yes, if these tips don't work try new line. Sometimes line is junk right off the spool from the factory. 2lb should have very little memory and should only coil if it is VERY cold.

Line can sit in some baitshops for several years before it gets sold. They may have a case of it in back from years ago that they are still trying to sell. :-\ Your best bet is to buy line from a high volume retailer that moves its entire stock of line several times per year. Try to wait until the first rush of sales is over so you get new stuff and not the line left over from last year.

I use the same line. Berkley cold weather is great line, you should not be having this trouble with it.

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2008, 05:16 AM »
  I don't have a  shanty  so no problem there just a clam Scot works pretty well , I try to keep to a minimum  pols, auger, bate , vex  :) :)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2008, 08:53 AM »
  I don't have a  shanty  so no problem there just a clam Scot works pretty well , I try to keep to a minimum  pols, auger, bate , vex  :) :)
a minimum  gee thats no fun I always over pack!  takes 2 large otter sleds to get my stuff on the site!  LOL  and thats when I dont bring the satalite dish!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2008, 05:02 PM »
takes 2 large otter sleds to get my stuff on the site

Is that all for you or is that for a group outing?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2008, 06:18 PM »
myself and my 3 yr old
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2008, 07:22 PM »
Just like a good boy scout "always be prepared"    :thumbsup:

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2008, 01:44 PM »
Tip on line twist:

I had some line that was twisting and I realize it was caused by a frozen roller bearing on the bail (I think).   Another possible culprit is continuing to crank on a spinning reel while your drag is whining.  You should always put your line onto the reel the same way it is on the mfgr's spool.  Or, have the guy at the store do it on the machine.  Well worth it.  If, however, you seem to have an outfit that continues to twist after new line is put on it, I do this to get the twist out:

Use a high quality swivel (ball bearing) and connect it to something stationary preferably indoors in a large area (I use our warehouse).  Walk back while keeping tension on the line (may be a long walk but I don't put a whole lot of line on my ice rigs) until you are at the end of the spool.  pull the line taught and this will take out the twist.  Do not pinch the line to keep tension on it while reeling it up!  I did this and it almost makes it worse.  Let the bearing on your bail do it's job and slowly walk back while winding it in.   
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2008, 11:15 AM »
perhaps you read my post about pinching the line? I don't reel it up, I pull it up while pinching. Thus eliminating any twist from the reel. After you do this a couple of times at most it will keep your bait from spinning.
You don't have to do all the line on your reel just the amount you are using. I hope this helps.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2008, 01:35 PM »
yeah....I do that with ice jigs that tend to spin....very effectice since most fish won't hit spinning stuff on slow days.  I have seen people, I won't mention any names (my brother jason), that pinch the line to put tension on it while spooling up a reel.  Not good...at all.  :-)
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2008, 07:04 AM »
I fish from a shanty, so its easier than out in the wind. I just through the line on the floor, then drop it back down.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2008, 10:58 AM »
Its me and my 3 year old son, hopefully will be fishing in a shanty, I was advised not to use cold weather line in the shanty.  :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.