Indiana > Ice Fishing Indiana

Lake Mi Help

(1/2) > >>

bigr:
I know this is an ice fishing site but most haven't switched back yet to the other site and I know there's a lot of you that are experience early Southern Lake MI fishermen. My buddy and I are planning to try and do a lot more big lake fishing. Always been a goal of mine to learn more about the resource. Hoping to hear some of you can help me out with some basic how too's. What will we need as far as equipment, lures and expectations for early trolling. General locations and depths. Best launch is Mi City for us but can put in other locations. We hope to look at getting out starting anytime soon. What is the best time frame. We'll have to pick times when conditions are safe for 18ft deep V lund. Thanks   

northrn-duck-assassin:
Send me p.m.'s with questions you have for specifics.

But early season trolling is easy. Biggest thing is safety on the lake. Knowing your winds/directions

TeacherPreacher:
bigr,
I'm no expert and really not a big fan of The Big Lake but have fished it a number of times over the years for something to do. I live in Hobart only 5-6 miles from Portage ramp at Burns ditch.  I have a 1973  16' Starcraft Mariner and have had no problems. Just have to use your head and watch the wind and be safe. Have seen 12' Jon boats out there on a south wind???? Spring Cohos are often only a few hundred yards off shore when we get 70 degree March days. I have a couple of rod holders and I used a silver Hot-nTot with a black back. Runs 8'-10' deep no weight. Often times we'd come out of the Ditch, head west a quarter mile or so, turn around and troll east. Sometimes come in toward shore more. Often had a limit in an hour or so. I'm sure a lot  of guys on here  can give you good info. Key is to watch the wind and be safe!
Teach

Busman:
Go to this website. They are very helpful. https://www.thesouthend.org/

frog eyes:
Plenty safe for your 18' Lund if you play it smart and watch the weather, South wind is best. North East will kick up the waves too much. The water is dirty this time of year so anything with a rattle and an orange color is good to strart. You'll hear people mention Stom Thin fins but those are the older ones and the new ones don't have a rattle so are not as good but everything catches. Upper 10 FOW. Flat line with shallow runners and dipsy divers are the cheapest way to get multiple poles in the water. When you see a pack of boats just follow the same direction and it's like a big circle to keep things civil.  The bite will last until about late April. Around May you'll see the reports picking up North near Waukegan then it's time to slip out deeper and use different presentation like lures and dodger / fly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version