Alaska > Ice Fishing Alaska

How big is to big for lakers tube jigs?

(1/4) > >>

kasilofchrisn:
So I make the majority of my own tackle.
I have a few tube jig molds and the biggest tube jig I can currently make is 1 ounce.
So I was thinking of having another custom mold made that would make tubes of 1-1/4, 1-1/2, 1-3/4, and 2 oz.
I know Tony at Kodiak Custom has someone make tube jigs to 1-1/2 ounce for him.
So I figured there must be people who use these bigger sizes.
I contacted one of my mold makers and he said it can be done and would use 5/0 and 6/0 hooks.
I'm waiting on a price quote but I'm thinking I'm going to order the mold!
Do you use the bigger Tube jigs?
And how big is too big?lol

Akhardwater:
I primarily just use 1 ounce jigs in a 7 inch tube.  I have some 1 1/2 and 2 ounce heads and they affect the action of the tube to much. Even the 1 ounce is sometimes to much.  I would like to try a 3/4 ounce but haven’t found any with good hooks, maybe I’m not looking hard enough I don’t know.  I do know that the 1/2 is to light for the big tube, it takes forever to get to the bottom due to the tubes buoyancy.  I’m curious to see how your big bladebaits work, it might be something the fish haven’t seen and work really good.

kasilofchrisn:

--- Quote from: Akhardwater on Jan 12, 2021, 09:45 PM ---I primarily just use 1 ounce jigs in a 7 inch tube.  I have some 1 1/2 and 2 ounce heads and they affect the action of the tube to much. Even the 1 ounce is sometimes to much.  I would like to try a 3/4 ounce but haven’t found any with good hooks, maybe I’m not looking hard enough I don’t know.  I do know that the 1/2 is to light for the big tube, it takes forever to get to the bottom due to the tubes buoyancy.  I’m curious to see how your big bladebaits work, it might be something the fish haven’t seen and work really good.

--- End quote ---
Thanks that info really helps.
I may try casting some in tin (1/3 lighter) as an experiment in some of the cavities.
He did design the mold around a Mustad 32786 hook. Which puts the eye a bit forward of center
We will see if it helps.
I can easily make some 3/4oz ones.
Too had your up in the valley or I say just stop by the jig shop.
I did get the option to add a rattle cast into the back of the tube jig as well.
Don't know if the rattle will help but I'm going to try it anyway in a few.
I'm hoping those big blades will work.
The guy who designed it uses them on the big great lakes brown trout down in Wisconsin.
I have the smaller blade bait molds also so I'll try them all just to see.
I may make a few extra jigs so when I'm up at lake Louise if I run into some forum members I can gift a jig or two. We will see.
I won't make it up there until February or March though.

Akhardwater:
I’ve played around with rattles a little bit but I could never find a rattle with a big enough chamber to make what I felt was a big enough noise.  I do think noise makes a big difference especially for burbot and I think a big rattle would be very effective.  I feel like the fish might be starting to get wise to the tube jig and changing tactics might be the ticket.   I have a week off at the end of March so if your up that way and feel like going for a ride you’ll have to come over to my neck of the woods, I’ve got a few ideas for baits that I think would do really well.

huntinfool18:
Down here in Wyoming I have found 3/4 oz to be about the perfect weight for the 6” tubes I use. 1/2oz get the job done but as mention before takes awhile to get down deep. 1oz also gets the job done but I seem to catch more on the 3/4 oz for whatever reason, maybe it hinders the action of the tube? I’m not sure how big the fish or how deep you fish but this work well for me in 100ft of water on fish upwards of 45lbs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version