Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bluegill

Question on Fileting Blue Gills

(1/3) > >>

robw20:

As a newbie to ice fishing this past year I've noticed that some bluegills that I have fileted have small dark spots contained in their meat. I have encountered this condition in fish I have taken from a variety of upstate ny waters (Oneida Lake, Lake Morraine, Lebanon Res. etc.) - Can anyone tell me what this condition is ? Are there any safety concerns of consumption with these fish ? Thanks !

asphalt_kid:
I think that they are a type of worm that has invaded the body of water that you are fishing. To my understanding they are quite harmless when cooked. You might check with your local Conservation or Biologist for your area to find out exactly what your dealing with.Again if it is what I think thatit is, but you need to freeze a fish and take it for inspection.

CHIPPER:
I THINK THE SPOTS YOU REFER TO ARE CAUSED BY THE LARVAE OF SMALL SNAILLIKE CREATURES WHICH BORE INTO THE LIVE FISH TO MATURE.  SOMETIMES HERE IN THE MIDWEST THEY MANIFEST THEMSELVES AS WHITE OR YELLOW WORMLIKE THINGEES IN THE FLESH OF THE FISH.  THEY ARE QUITE HARMLESS AFTER COOKING.  IF THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, WE TRY TO CONTROL THEM IN OUR LAKES AND PONDS BY INTRODUCING REDEAR SUNFISH (SHELLCRACKERS).  THEY SUPPOSEDLY EAT THE CRITTERS THAT PRODUCE THE LARVAE.  IT SEEMS TO WORK.

Exudedude:
I believe both of the above posters are wrong.. no disrespect meant.  If you are seeing small black spots.. its a small parasite, HARMLESS! you can eat them with no ill effects.  Now if you are finding small white specks.. Them are worms, you can still eat them but I chose to pick them out with a knife!

Lunafish:
And I quote,"the black spots are not the parasites, but fish pigment cells that surround the larval cysts.  The species of trematode that cause the spots vary depending on the species of fish they are infecting".   Yes , snail are part of the life cycle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version