Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > General Tips

Pack Basket Care??

(1/3) > >>

Hoppes:
Have a nice new pack basket for all my traps....any suggestions on care and preservation of the woven pack?  Varnish, Thompsons' water seal, paint?  I'd like to read a few suggestions from some of you with "old" baskets still in service.  Thanks, tight lines, Hoppes

Smelt1:
Hoppes,I've had my trap basket for 33 yrs.now.All I ever did was seal it with tung oil.She's a little worn but holding up fine.But I also bought one of those fancy basket liners from Beans up there in Freeport.Momma has started decorating our den in old fishing memorabilia and every now and then I'll find my basket in there with cattails in it.I have to remind her that this basket has'nt been retired yet.I suppose when I pass on that women will have me stuffed and put in that den! ;)

Flash_King:
Smelt1  always used linseed oil  the old basket finally got retired last year,someone thought they could use it for a stool  won't be fishing with that individual again

Hoppes:
You both are making me lean towards an oil product instead of varnish or paint.  I like the look of wood grain anyway.  Thanks for the advice....Hoppes

crappie_attitude:
try a can of sprayable polyeurethane.  protects the wood and lets the natural grain show thru.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version