The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Mille Lacs Lake spearing??  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Pikeonice

• IceShanty Rookie
Mille Lacs Lake spearing??
« on: Jan 13, 2016, 07:01 AM »
I would like to give  Mille Lacs Lake a try has anyone been there?
Where would be a good place to setup?
I would have a 4 wheeler or snowmobile along.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mille Lacs Lake spearing??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:38 PM »
I have not been there this year yet, but I'm going to Appledorn's this Sunday. They're out of Sunset Bay.  I went to Brandt's last year and they had shacks earlier in the season in Cove Bay, but had moved them later when they quit seeing northerns.  They had me in a shack out in front of Izaty's and I saw one or two of the smallest perch I've seen. 

While researching I've read Wahkon, Cove, Isle and Mac's bays are good.  These will likely be the first places other people go as well, that's why I'm interested to try Sunset Bay.  I'm spending the night there and may try one of those other Bays on Monday, but for tip-up fishing.  Or I may stop in a Brandt's and see if one of their shacks is open for the day. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Pikeonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Thanks for the info and if you can give an update when you get back would be great.
The lake is so big and I have not fished it much but would like to get some nice ones to eat.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2016, 01:38 PM »
When I got to the house around 9am, I saw a 3-4 lb walleye. The house was in sand. Sat all day with no other fish, then I went out to pee at 4:45 and I heard my rattle reel spinning. I was using a large sucker, but not the decoy size. I pulled up a 37" northern. I'm out in Cove bay now and nothing yet.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2016, 03:10 PM »
Good luck Knife2sharp. A buddy was on Cove Friday and never seen a fish.

You are already ahead of the game :thumbsup:

WS

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:16 AM »
I'm making my annual trip to Mille Lacs over the extended MLK Jr. weekend.  I'm trying a new resort/outfitter this weekend, Hunter Winfield's Resort, out of Isle.  I called them yesterday and spoke to a gal for almost 30 minutes.  I could tell right away they're all about wanting customers to be successful and are honest when things are slow. They don't just want to rent houses for sake of filling them up. 

I'm an avid hunter and have been on quite a few hunts either by leasing or going through an outfitter and I appreciate honesty. It's also nice when they actually engage in conversation about hunting/fishing, whether it be them sharing their knowledge or stories or them being interested in yours.  She telling me the owner is a guide makes perfect sense since he drilled 30+ holes looking for the weed line.

I'll be there on Sunday and I'll let ya'll know how I do. I picked up a wind chime spinner for my red & white golf ball too. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Have always heard positive reports about Hunter W
Be interested in reading your report. Good Luck :thumbsup:

WS

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:34 AM »
As I was dropping my sucker down when I just got to the house, a mid 30" pike came in, he swam past it, then circled around and came back, but didn't grab it on the second pass either. I had my headlight on and he spooked.  Around 11:15am I had a dogfish come by, just slowly swimming along the bottom, I took a chance and I just missed it. That was it, I was hoping I'd see something late afternoon, but with the moon, mornings may be more productive. 

I fished a metro lake for pike with a buddy on Saturday and we didn't get one flag all day, but we didn't get started until 10am.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.